Hiking the Grand Canyon - take precautions

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, a lot of people visit the Grand Canyon and many go hiking the various trails. Some venture down into the canyon as far as the Colorado River and/or Phantom Ranch. It's a great experience, but it requires careful preparation and precaution. Signs/symptoms/treatment of HAPE and HACE are part of our Wilderness First Aid training.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
A lot of people visit the Grand Canyon and many go hiking the various trails. Some venture down into the canyon as far as the Colorado River and/or Phantom Ranch. It's a great experience, but it requires careful preparation and precaution.

Many folks start on the South Rim at 7,200’ (2194 m), you will descend 4,700’ (1432 m) to the canyon floor. People from lower elevations, especially near both coasts, may not appreciate the reduced air pressure (reduced oxygen partial pressure), which can lead to cardio-pulmonary distress (e.g., heart attack). In addition, the exertion and warm/hot dry environment can lead to dehydration and heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

56-year-old hiker dies in the Grand Canyon during trek to Colorado River and back
https://www.yahoo.com/news/56-old-hiker-dies-grand-212423354.html

The Bright Angel Trail from the canyon floor is relatively steep.

Some guidance
https://www.coloradohikesandhops.co...-to-north-kaibab-trail#south-kaibab-trailhead
https://www.us-parks.com/grand-canyon-national-park/south-rim-info.html
https://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/connect/grand-canyon-what-not-to-do/

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/statistics.htm

It is important to get acclimated to an environment that is dramatically different, which in this case is a higher elevation. The air pressure at 7000' (2134 m) is nomiinally 11.3 psia (78 kPa ) compared to sea level 14.7 psia (101.33 kPa), or about 78% of sea level. If one is planning an a strenuous hike to the canyon floor and back, then one should spend a week at either rim to get used to the lower air pressure and drier climate. Also, one needs to carry a lot of water, and perhaps a drink containing sugar and electrolytes (Na, K).

Likes Lnewqban, hutchphd and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
15 miles and 4,700 ft is a pretty aggressive day hike. My sister is a marathon runner and I think she did it in two days at around age 40. The mules don't even go all the way to the bottom on the day trip.

And I was there a few weeks ago, and the top thousand feet or so of the Bright Angel Trail was covered in snow.

Likes Klystron, Lnewqban and Astronuc
russ_watters said:
15 miles and 4,700 ft is a pretty aggressive day hike. My sister is a marathon runner and I think she did it in two days at around age 40.
Years ago, more like 2 decades ago, there was a group of hikers who did a rim to rim round trip. They started about 3 am from the South Rim (Bright Angel Lodge area) and made it to the North Rim by noon. They stayed about 1 hour for lunch and relaxation, the hiked back to the South Rim in about 10 hours. They were well prepared and in their 30s.

Likes Lnewqban
In Utah I met a man who told me that when he was young he worked on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. He wanted to buy some marijuana, so he hiked to the south rim and back in a day.

• Haha
Likes Mondayman, russ_watters, Astronuc and 1 other person
Many years ago, one of the women working on the circuit board assembly line mentioned she was going to the Grand Canyon over the weekend.

It turned out she was rather the athlete, a member of a Running Club that every Autumn went on a run. They would charter a bus to the Grand Canyon South Rim, run down, cross the river, run up the North Rim, get back on the bus that had driven 215 miles over the Glen Canyon Dam, -- and probably sleep all the home.

Not a trip for the average desk jockey.
She was in her late 30's or early 40's. :eek:

p.s She was back at work Monday morning, non the worse for wear.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and Astronuc
Astronuc said:
Also, one needs to carry a lot of water, and perhaps a drink containing sugar and electrolytes (Na, K).
7kvq57f2fszoms49m9lmkcknw7g3kgi4rdft2fran&rid=200w.gif

Related to Hiking the Grand Canyon - take precautions

What are the most important precautions to take when hiking the Grand Canyon?

1. Stay hydrated: The Grand Canyon is a hot and dry environment, so it is crucial to bring enough water and drink regularly to avoid dehydration.

2. Wear appropriate footwear: Hiking boots with good ankle support are recommended to prevent injuries on the rocky terrain.

3. Plan ahead and inform others: Make sure to let someone know your hiking plans and expected return time. Also, research the trails and weather conditions beforehand.

4. Bring essential supplies: Along with water, it is important to bring snacks, a first aid kit, a map, and sunscreen.

5. Be aware of your physical abilities: Hiking the Grand Canyon can be strenuous, so it is important to know your limits and take breaks when needed.