Highest order of spectrum given two wavelengths

In summary, when white light is incident on two slits, constructive interference will occur and produce a fringe at a specific position, which is dependent on the angle of the light and the wavelength of the light. The 5th order maximum does not appear for the 410 nm wave. Also, the maximum order is 3 for the red light, and the problem asked the number of full spectra. Determine the angles of both the violet and red light for m=1, 2, 3, 4 and arrange them in increasing sequence.
MFAHH

Homework Statement

I've attached the problem

Homework Equations

d*sinθ=mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a couple of methods. I considered solving for m when θ=90 degrees => sinθ=1 because 90 degrees is the highest possible angle and will (in my mind at least) yield the highest order of spectrum by rounding the resultant value of m down to the nearest integer. But I don't know how to factor the two given wavelengths into all this.

I then considered fiddling about with approximations like, at small angles, tanθ=sinθ=θ=y/L but to no avail.

Can anyone help me on how to solve this? I don't even know how to picture the problem and draw a diagram.

Attachments

• physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to factor the two given wavelengths into all this
To get a fringe at a position you need constructive interference at that position.
What is the condition for constructive interference?

Note: you probably have not been given the final equation for this situation, you will have to work it out for yourself.

Thanks for the replies.

Simon Bridge said:
To get a fringe at a position you need constructive interference at that position.
What is the condition for constructive interference?

Note: you probably have not been given the final equation for this situation, you will have to work it out for yourself.

Constructive interference would occur when m=some integer.

ehild said:
The same problem is discussed in thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=737573
You can also read about diffraction gratings here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/grating.html
ehild

Thanks, but it appears that when I work through (with the assumption that θ=90) I get m=5 for the 410nm wave, whereas the OP of that topic arrived at m=4. Is the assumption I'm working with wrong (about θ being equal to 90 degrees)? And what's the reason for choosing m=3 over m=4?

Also, how do I go about working out the second part of the question?

MFAHH said:
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks, but it appears that when I work through (with the assumption that θ=90) I get m=5 for the 410nm wave, whereas the OP of that topic arrived at m=4. Is the assumption I'm working with wrong (about θ being equal to 90 degrees)? And what's the reason for choosing m=3 over m=4?

Also, how do I go about working out the second part of the question?

d*sinθ=mλ, and θ<90°. The 5th order maximum does not appear for the 410 nm wave.
Also, the maximum order is 3 for the red light, and the problem asked the number of full spectra.

Determine the angles of both the violet and red light for m=1, 2, 3, 4 and arrange them in increasing sequence.

ehild

MFAHH said:
Kinda - that's not the whole story.

This means you need to understand the physics:

Consider - if you had white light incident on the slits, you get a series of rainbow fringes.
Each fringe is a whole spectrum, but the highest order spectrum may be incomplete ... so you can end up with more blue fringes than red ones.

Originally I thought you were looking at something like water waves with a different frequency at each slit.

You should certainly do the exercise that ehild suggests at the end of post #5
Determine the angles of both the violet and red light for m=1, 2, 3, 4 and arrange them in increasing sequence.

Aha, thanks a bunch Simon Bridge and ehild, I'll finally got the answers!

Related to Highest order of spectrum given two wavelengths

1. What is the highest order of spectrum?

The highest order of spectrum refers to the maximum number of wavelengths that can be observed in a given spectral range. It is determined by the energy levels of the atoms or molecules that are emitting or absorbing the light.

2. How is the highest order of spectrum calculated?

The highest order of spectrum can be calculated by dividing the highest wavelength in the spectral range by the lowest wavelength. This will give the number of wavelengths present in that range.

3. What is the significance of knowing the highest order of spectrum?

Knowing the highest order of spectrum allows scientists to determine the energy levels of the atoms or molecules responsible for the observed wavelengths. This information can be used to study the properties and behaviors of these particles.

4. Can the highest order of spectrum change?

Yes, the highest order of spectrum can change depending on the energy levels of the atoms or molecules involved. For example, if the energy levels change due to external factors such as temperature or pressure, the highest order of spectrum may also change.

5. How does the highest order of spectrum relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?

The highest order of spectrum is a concept that is specific to a given spectral range. It is not directly related to the electromagnetic spectrum, which refers to the entire range of electromagnetic radiation, including wavelengths that may not be within the highest order of spectrum for a particular range.