Highest frequency of sound waves in a thin aluminium rod

In summary, the maximum frequency and minimum wavelength of a sound wave in aluminium due to its discrete atomic structure can be estimated using the equation v = sqrt(Y/p), where Y is the Young's modulus and p is the mass density. The maximum frequency occurs at the minimum wavelength, which can be found by using the interatomic spacing between aluminium atoms, calculated using the atomic weight of aluminium. By considering the mass density and atomic weight, it can be determined that the distances between aluminium atoms are relatively small, leading to a high maximum frequency and short minimum wavelength.
aednat

Homework Statement

Estimate the highest possible frequency (in Hertz) and the smallest possible wavelength, of a sound wave in aluminium due to the discrete atomic structure of this material. The mass density, Young's modulus, and atomic weight of aluminium are 2.7x103kg m-3, 6x1010 N m-2, and 27 respectively.

Homework Equations

Second partial of Ψ(x,t) WRT t = second partial of Ψ(x,t) WRT x multiplied by (Young's modulus / mass density)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've obtained the expression v = sqrt(Y/p), but v=frequency x wavelength
so v = 4714.045 = frequency x wavelength.
I understand that the minimum wavelength occurs at wavelength = the interatomic spacing between the aluminium atoms, but I am unsure as to how to obtain an expression for it's value.

The maximum frequency occurs at the minimum wavelength so I can just algebraically sub in the min wavelength to find the max frequency.

I'm assuming I have to use the atomic weight of aluminium somewhere in the question, but I can't seem to find the next step.

I have a feeling I may have strayed in the wrong direction ; perhaps I could use some boundary conditions and solve the wave equation? I don't know if I'm oversimplifying the problem.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
aednat said:
The maximum frequency occurs at the minimum wavelength so I can just algebraically sub in the min wavelength to find the max frequency.
Right.

You have 2700kg/m3 and every atom has a weight of 27 u. How many aluminium atoms do you expect per m3? What does that tell you about the distances between those atoms?

Related to Highest frequency of sound waves in a thin aluminium rod

1. What is the highest frequency of sound waves that can be produced in a thin aluminium rod?

The highest frequency of sound waves that can be produced in a thin aluminium rod depends on several factors, such as the length and thickness of the rod, its material properties, and the method of excitation. Generally, the highest frequency that can be produced is limited by the speed of sound in the material, which for aluminium is around 6420 m/s. Therefore, the highest frequency of sound waves in a thin aluminium rod would be around 3210 Hz for a 1mm thick rod.

2. How does the thickness of the aluminium rod affect the highest frequency of sound waves?

The thickness of the aluminium rod plays a crucial role in determining the highest frequency of sound waves that can be produced. Thinner rods have a higher natural frequency, meaning they can vibrate at higher frequencies. Therefore, a thinner rod will have a higher highest frequency of sound waves compared to a thicker rod.

3. Can the highest frequency of sound waves in a thin aluminium rod be increased?

Yes, the highest frequency of sound waves in a thin aluminium rod can be increased by changing the material properties or the method of excitation. For example, using a higher quality aluminium with a higher speed of sound can increase the highest frequency. Additionally, using a different method of excitation, such as using a tuning fork or a speaker, can also increase the highest frequency produced in the rod.

4. How does the length of the aluminium rod affect the highest frequency of sound waves?

The length of the aluminium rod also has an impact on the highest frequency of sound waves that can be produced. Longer rods have a lower natural frequency and can produce lower frequencies compared to shorter rods. Therefore, a shorter rod will have a higher highest frequency of sound waves compared to a longer rod.

5. What happens if the highest frequency of sound waves is exceeded in a thin aluminium rod?

If the highest frequency of sound waves is exceeded in a thin aluminium rod, the rod can break or deform due to the stress and strain caused by the high-frequency vibrations. This is known as resonance frequency, and it is essential to consider the natural frequency of the rod when choosing the frequency of excitation to avoid damaging the rod.