High voltage Ac generation to apply to a capacitor

In summary, a stepped up transformer can be used to increase the voltage across a capacitive load. The voltage should be at least 1 kV and the output impedance should be low < 100 ohms. RF engineers are helpful and would be appreciated.
Bailiwick
Hi this is my first post on here

I am looking to create a large voltage across a primarily capacitive load at around 190 kHz. At the moment i have a 175 Watt power amplifier which puts out 55 Vp.

The output impedance also needs to be quite low < 100 ohms

Does anyone have any idea how to do this. I am thinking maybe some sort of resonant circuit. Or maybe I will have to make a valve amplifier. The voltage should be at least 1 kV

Any RF engineers out there? help would be very much appreciated

thanks
mark

Engineering news on Phys.org
Whats wrong with a stepup transformer?

It transforms the impedance up by a square of the turns ratio so say I wanted 500V, ratio 1:10 wouldn't it transform the impedance up by a facto of 100

Why not Resonate the Capacitor with a suitable Inductor in series? You could get many times (XQ) the input voltage that way and an inductor is easy to make / buy. You need a Q of around 20, it would seem.

Bailiwick said:
Hi this is my first post on here

I am looking to create a large voltage across a primarily capacitive load at around 190 kHz. At the moment i have a 175 Watt power amplifier which puts out 55 Vp.

The output impedance also needs to be quite low < 100 ohms

Does anyone have any idea how to do this. I am thinking maybe some sort of resonant circuit. Or maybe I will have to make a valve amplifier. The voltage should be at least 1 kV

Any RF engineers out there? help would be very much appreciated

thanks
mark

What's the application?

sophiecentaur

Yes I have thought of this idea. which seems pretty good to me but is quite difficult to achieve high Q.

I was thinking if you put a secondary winding as in a transformer , would this step up the allready increased voltage that is created across the inductor?
Also what is the voltage current phase relationship in a series resonant circuit. inphase?

Berkemen

Application is electric fields across wine which were doing a bit more of,
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/business/3190621/Better-wine-in-a-flash

Id actually prefer the voltage to be in the order of 10 kV but this may be slightly harder to achieve.

It definitely tastes different the hard part is getting the frequency and E field correct to make it taste better. We have found a reasonably good combination that i can't really disclose
This was confirmed on national tv by a wine critic

But I need ideas to get a wacking great AC voltage for further development

Bailiwick said:
It definitely tastes different the hard part is getting the frequency and E field correct to make it taste better. We have found a reasonably good combination that i can't really disclose
This was confirmed on national tv by a wine critic

But I need ideas to get a wacking great AC voltage for further development

Hopefully you and your advisors know a bit about high voltage safety, and about how to avoid creating RFI (radio frequency interference).

Keep in mind also that if you can put that voltage across a smaller gap, then it takes a lot less voltage to make the same E field. So can you make a bunch of panels or something inside the wine container that are spaced closer together, and use a more standard voltage...?

berkeman said:
Interesting. Does the quick-made wine taste different?
When I saw this:
Professor of electronics Jonathan Scott ...
I about spit on my monitor. It does sound like a neat project.

BTW I'll volunteer to be a taster. :biggrin:

Berkemen its across a 4mm gap and the breakdown voltage of these is 25 kV/cm so we want to have control of the voltage up to this point ~14kV

dlgoff Jonathan has actually finished with the project now unfortunately, otherwise I wouldn't be on here trying to conjure up some ideas.

Bailiwick said:
dlgoff Jonathan has actually finished with the project now unfortunately, otherwise I wouldn't be on here trying to conjure up some ideas.
I was sort of joking with berkeman since we have a member here with the same "name". :smile:

This schematic for a http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/hvgen32.pdf" uses a couple of 555 timers and a television flyback transformer.
Source: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/samschem.htm#schahg"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to High voltage Ac generation to apply to a capacitor

1. What is high voltage AC generation?

High voltage AC generation is the process of producing an alternating current (AC) with a significantly higher voltage than the standard household voltage of 120V. This is typically achieved through the use of a transformer and can be used for various applications such as powering industrial equipment or charging large capacitors.

2. How is high voltage AC applied to a capacitor?

High voltage AC can be applied to a capacitor by connecting one end of the capacitor to a high voltage source, and the other end to a ground or reference point. This will cause the capacitor to charge and store electrical energy, which can then be discharged when needed.

3. What are the benefits of using high voltage AC for capacitors?

Using high voltage AC for capacitors allows for a larger amount of energy to be stored in the capacitor, compared to using low voltage sources. This makes it useful for applications that require a high amount of energy in short bursts, such as in power supplies for electronic devices or in electric vehicles.

4. What are the potential risks of using high voltage AC with capacitors?

One potential risk of using high voltage AC with capacitors is the potential for electrical shock or injury if proper safety precautions are not taken. Additionally, high voltage AC can cause overheating or damage to the capacitor if it is not designed to handle the specific voltage and frequency.

5. How is high voltage AC generation different from high voltage DC generation?

The main difference between high voltage AC and DC generation is the direction of the electrical current. AC alternates direction, while DC flows in one direction. Additionally, AC can be easily transformed to different voltage levels, while DC requires more complex circuitry to achieve the same effect.