High Temperature, Non-conductive Material

In summary: Mica sheet is available in large sheets or "books". Look at how electrical bread toaster elements are made.
DEngineer
Does anyone know of any material that's not as brittle as ceramic that can withstand high temperatures and is non-conductive? I'm talking abou a max temp of 800degC of heat radiating from a hot steel coil. Components will be inside of the coil for a short period of time but trying to prepare for a system fault for where the components may sit there and cook...

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many materials. Google heat shield material.

Asbestos is good to 1200°C and to 5000°C for a few minutes. The trouble is that it causes severe lung disease (cancer, asbestosis) if inhaled.

anorlunda said:
There are many materials. Google heat shield material.

You sir, are an asset to this board, and to the engineering community as a whole! Thank you for your insightful, thought provoking, life changing advice!

Tom.G said:
Asbestos is good to 1200°C and to 5000°C for a few minutes. The trouble is that it causes severe lung disease (cancer, asbestosis) if inhaled.

I'll look into this since I only need a small amount of it, however I'm sure our assembly team will oppose this. I'm looking for something that can take some sort of impact as it will be used on mechanical arms that close around the hot coil. They are pivoted using hydraulic cylinders, so they dock I'm sure there will be some impact / vibration. The whole point of what I'm doing is to make some type of linear position limit switch, to know when the arms have docked completely. I can't seem to the find a limit switch on the market that can withstand the temps. So since the arms are made of steel I'm thinking of using them as the switch. They close the circuit, but only when fully docked. So I need to isolate the male and female docking components as they guide each other in, then when fully docked, some type of lever or finger that can complete the circuit. So the material I am looking for will be used as a stand-off or some type of spacer between the docking components and the arms...

Thanks for the suggestion!

DEngineer said:
You sir, are an asset to this board, and to the engineering community as a whole! Thank you for your insightful, thought provoking, life changing advice!
I always thought so...

Likes russ_watters
Tom.G said:

Your suggestion got me thinking and I found some low friction brake lining material (non asbestos) that can withstand up to 600deg C. Have a sample coming in tomorrow. If it has good machinability, then we have a winner!

Likes Tom.G
There does exist pure alumina paper and cloth. They are made for far higher temperatures and are flexible. You could
wrap something with this and use some metal ties to hold it together. Or, I think alumina thread or yarn may exist as well, though not sure a knot could be formed with it.

Last edited:
Crystal aluminum oxide, might do the trick (Garnet)
It can take high temperatures, and is about the toughest material going.
Slightly less hard than diamond, but very mechanically stable.

Mica sheet is available in large sheets or "books". Look at how electrical bread toaster elements are made.

Related to High Temperature, Non-conductive Material

1. What is a high temperature, non-conductive material?

A high temperature, non-conductive material is a type of material that can withstand high temperatures without conducting electricity. This makes it suitable for use in environments with extreme heat and where electrical conductivity could be dangerous.

2. What are some examples of high temperature, non-conductive materials?

Some common examples of high temperature, non-conductive materials include ceramics, glass, and certain types of plastics. These materials have high melting points and do not allow electricity to pass through them, making them ideal for use in high temperature applications.

3. How are high temperature, non-conductive materials used in industry?

High temperature, non-conductive materials are used in a variety of industrial applications, such as in the production of electronic components, insulation for high voltage equipment, and protective coatings for metal surfaces. They are also commonly used in aerospace, automotive, and energy industries.

4. What are the benefits of using high temperature, non-conductive materials?

The main benefit of using high temperature, non-conductive materials is their ability to withstand extreme heat without conducting electricity. This makes them ideal for use in high temperature environments where safety is a concern. They are also lightweight, durable, and resistant to corrosion.

5. Are high temperature, non-conductive materials expensive?

The cost of high temperature, non-conductive materials can vary depending on the specific material and its application. In general, these materials tend to be more expensive than traditional conductive materials due to their specialized properties and manufacturing processes. However, their benefits and durability often make them a worthwhile investment in certain industries.