High Temperature Experiment set-up

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to test a sodium wicking system in high temperature and agitated conditions. The experiment setup involves placing solid sodium pellets in a glass test tube, purging oxygen with an inert gas, and sealing the tube. To ensure safety, the sealed sodium tube is placed inside a larger glass tube filled with argon. The challenge is finding a set-up that allows for agitation of the inner tube while securely holding it within the outer tube. The conversation also explores the possibility of using a metal container instead of glass, but concerns arise over potential interactions between sodium and oxides. The conversation concludes with suggestions for using a welded pipe with viewports for observation and modification for stirring.
dpage
I need to test a sodium wicking system in high temperature and agitated conditions. The experiment setup seems like it is going to be pretty complicated, however, and I need some direction on where I might get a glass set-up that I could modify. The set-up is as follows:

Solid sodium pellets are placed in a glass test tube, thermally rated for up to 400 deg. C..

Oxygen is purged from the tube (argon or another inert gas introduced), and the tube is sealed (cap needs to be thermally rated for 400 C as well.)

In order to create a safety barrier between the sodium tube and the oxygen atmosphere (in the event that the tube cracks under high temperatures), The sealed sodium tube is placed inside a larger glass tube which is then filled with argon.

We now have a tube within a tube where no oxygen is present. The trick is that the sodium tube needs to be agitated. We have access to a shaking mechanism that would agitate the outer tube, but the sodium tube needs to be secured inside the outer tube. Therefore, I need a set-up with a tube inside a tube so that the inner tube is secured firmly to the outer tube.

My question is: Is there a similar type of glass set-up available to purchase that I may be able to modify? Any input on how I might do it and where I might find the necessary materials? If I can't find something I may have to construct it from scratch which will prove difficult (especially to hold up under high temperatures).

Thanks,
Dpage

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sealed tube reactions are fairly common in certain areas of organic and inorganic chemistry. I haven't personally done any in over a decade, and can't recall the details of the process. But I think anyone reasonably active in say, solid state chemistry, can show you how to make sealed tubes. I think the common tube materials are quartz and fused-silica. These are generally rated for temperatures far above 400C.

do you have to use glass for any particular reason? why not use a metal container? many (most?) metals have negligible interactions with alkali/alkaline elements especially at low temperatures.

i'd be concerned over the interaction of Na with SiO2 to produce very low melting soda glass.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking glass because we need to be able to observe the experiment, but you're right, oxides are not a good idea. Would quartz be OK? Also thanks for the direction on sealed tube experiments...that led to some good research...

with regards to the need to observe: you can always use a welded pipe as your reaction vessel and attach viewports for observation. you can also easily modify a pipe flange to incorporate whatever stirring apparatus you desire.

Related to High Temperature Experiment set-up

1. What is a high temperature experiment set-up?

A high temperature experiment set-up is a laboratory setup used to conduct experiments at elevated temperatures. This may involve specialized equipment such as high temperature ovens, furnaces, or heating elements to heat the sample to the desired temperature.

2. What types of experiments can be performed using a high temperature set-up?

A high temperature experiment set-up can be used for a variety of experiments such as thermal stability studies, material characterization, chemical reactions, and physical property measurements at elevated temperatures.

3. How do you control and measure the temperature in a high temperature experiment set-up?

The temperature in a high temperature experiment set-up can be controlled and measured using thermocouples, infrared cameras, or optical pyrometers. These devices can accurately monitor the temperature of the sample and the surrounding environment.

4. What are some safety precautions that should be taken when performing experiments at high temperatures?

When working with high temperature experiment set-ups, it is important to use proper personal protective equipment, such as heat-resistant gloves and goggles. Adequate ventilation should also be provided to prevent exposure to harmful fumes. Additionally, caution should be taken when handling hot samples or equipment to avoid burns.

5. Are there any limitations to conducting experiments at high temperatures?

Yes, there are some limitations to performing experiments at high temperatures. Some materials may not be able to withstand high temperatures and may degrade or react differently, affecting the accuracy of the results. Also, the high temperatures may pose a safety risk, and specialized equipment may be required, making it more difficult and expensive to conduct experiments.