High scvhost.exe Activity on Windows Vista: Is It Normal or Problematic?

But if one of them is using an abnormally high amount of memory, it could be a sign of a problem. Running a virus scan may help identify any potential issues. In summary, the person is experiencing multiple instances of scvhost.exe running on their computer, with one instance using a significantly higher amount of memory. This has caused issues with sluggish performance and choppy video playback. They are considering running a virus scan to address the problem.
Jiggy-Ninja
Lately, I've had roughly a dozen scvhost.exe's running at the same time on my computer. That seems quite high, even after reading up on what scvhost does. Is this normal, or could it be problematic (or a symptom of a problem)?

Another issue is that one of the scvhosts usually has much more memory use than the others. When it gets around 50-55k, my computer starts acting sluggish and video playback with VLC gets choppy. When I kill that instance, everything goes back to normal (though the Vista Aero effect goes away). I usually have several programs open at once (VLC PLayer, uTorrent, a few Chrome windows), but it's never caused problems before except in the past couple months.

My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium. I'll run a virus scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to check for that and see what comes up.

Any way to fix this issue?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's not that unusual to have that many http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svchost" .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to High scvhost.exe Activity on Windows Vista: Is It Normal or Problematic?

1. What is "scvhost.exe" and why is it using high activity on my Windows Vista computer?

"Scvhost.exe" is a system process that is responsible for managing various services on your Windows Vista computer. It is normal for it to use a significant amount of CPU and memory resources, but high activity may indicate a problem with one of the services it is managing.

2. How can I determine if the high scvhost.exe activity on my Windows Vista computer is normal or problematic?

You can use the Task Manager to check the CPU and memory usage of scvhost.exe. If it is using a consistently high amount of resources, it may indicate a problem. It is also helpful to monitor any changes in performance or unusual behavior on your computer.

3. What are some common causes of high scvhost.exe activity on Windows Vista?

The most common cause of high scvhost.exe activity is a problematic service. This could be due to a software or driver issue, malware, or a corrupted system file. It could also be caused by multiple services running simultaneously, which can overload the process.

4. How can I fix high scvhost.exe activity on my Windows Vista computer?

If the high activity is caused by a specific service, you can try stopping or disabling that service. You can also run a malware scan and update your drivers and system files. If the issue persists, you may need to seek assistance from a computer technician.

5. Is it possible to prevent high scvhost.exe activity on Windows Vista?

While it is normal for scvhost.exe to use a significant amount of resources, there are steps you can take to prevent high activity. This includes regularly updating your software and drivers, running a reputable anti-virus program, and limiting the number of startup programs and services on your computer.