High School Science Fair Railgun

In summary, a high school student built a working railgun for a science fair project, but is facing issues with the projectile sticking and welding to the rails. Suggestions include using conductive grease or graphite to prevent welding, and experimenting with different types of ammunition such as aluminum spheres. The student has advanced to the regional level of the science fair and is continuing to improve the design.
BC2010
Hello, I posted a thread over a month ago asking some basic questions on railguns for my high school science fair project. Since then, I've built a working railgun that fires both cyndrilical and square projectiles. Unfortunately those projectiles consist of compressed aluminum foil, so it doesn't have much mass (around .1g). My goal was more along the lines of .25X.25X.25 inch cube of solid aluminum. The aluminum cubes I have put through my rails have stuck. Any help with figuring out my problem would be greatly appreciated.

My problem, as I stated before, is that my aluminum cube (about 1g) is getting stuck in the middle of my rails. The odd thing is, that when I use my injector alone, it goes all the way through. Somehow when I apply current through my rails, the projectile slows down. On the other hand, I got my al. foil projectile to work by using less psi in my injector (I got it so the projectile would get stuck in the rails when only using compressed air). What could be happening to make my projectile get stuck?

I have more details on some of my test firing if they are needed to understand the problem better. If anyone is interested, I'll post pictures and the essay I have to turn in for science fair.

Engineering news on Phys.org
BC2010 said:
Hello, I posted a thread over a month ago asking some basic questions on railguns for my high school science fair project. Since then, I've built a working railgun that fires both cyndrilical and square projectiles. Unfortunately those projectiles consist of compressed aluminum foil, so it doesn't have much mass (around .1g). My goal was more along the lines of .25X.25X.25 inch cube of solid aluminum. The aluminum cubes I have put through my rails have stuck. Any help with figuring out my problem would be greatly appreciated.

My problem, as I stated before, is that my aluminum cube (about 1g) is getting stuck in the middle of my rails. The odd thing is, that when I use my injector alone, it goes all the way through. Somehow when I apply current through my rails, the projectile slows down. On the other hand, I got my al. foil projectile to work by using less psi in my injector (I got it so the projectile would get stuck in the rails when only using compressed air). What could be happening to make my projectile get stuck?

I have more details on some of my test firing if they are needed to understand the problem better. If anyone is interested, I'll post pictures and the essay I have to turn in for science fair.

I think posting the pictures would be great. I'm not sure we should see the essay until after the Fair. There would be too much temptation to give you feedback, and that would be unfair to the other Fair competitors.

Congrats!,

You've gone a long way. Now, it sounds as though your having problems with your projectile / armature welding to the rails. This wasn't a problem with the big ones, because the armature was blasted to plasma before it began to move ( very liquid thing, plasma ) and the projectile was ceramic.

You may experiment with ways to inhibit the welding. For example welding requires hot spot + material that will melt at that temp + adhesion. Hot spots will happen when you have a tiny surface area with a lot of current. Then you're material must have a low enough melting point to flow (copper melts at a higher temp than aluminum). And finally, your materials must have the right conditions to alloy. Some metals don't alloy well with others and some materials, such as graphite, simply shed.

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen with a motor brush...

Once again, I'd like to put in that you've done very well, and I'm impressed. I wasn't overly encouraged about this project to start. You're a testament to enthusiasm over experience and that's good lesson for us all.

- Mike

Just wanted to post that I finished second (physical science) in my school's science fair. I'll be moving on to regionals in two months. Unfortunately my railgun didn't work any of the three times I fired it for the judges, all three times it welded. I'll be working on improving the design and attempting to make it more consistent.

BC2010 said:
Just wanted to post that I finished second (physical science) in my school's science fair. I'll be moving on to regionals in two months. Unfortunately my railgun didn't work any of the three times I fired it for the judges, all three times it welded. I'll be working on improving the design and attempting to make it more consistent.

Congrats BC! Good luck in the next round.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but you might look into conductive grease to see if that helps to avoid the sticking and welding problem. We use it in radio antenna connections that are outdoors to help maintain weather-resistant, conductive connections. You can find it at HAM radio stores like HAM Radio Outlet. It uses silver in the grease, I believe to give it good conduction.

http://www.google.com/search?source...US301US302&q=conductive+grease+silver+antenna

May I suggest aluminum spheres as ammunition. When the cube is shot through the nozzle, it may tend to turn and get wedged in there from the force of the EM fields. Also, the speed in which your coils activate may be too fast for the mass of your ammo if they stop mid way.

(isn't using compressed air cheating??)

-Tay

You might try scraping a pencil (or lead holder) along the rails to coat them with graphite as a cheap solution. (That's how we used to "lube" pine wood derby axles. Does anyone make those anymore?) However, the reduced conductivity might be intolerable.

Related to High School Science Fair Railgun

1. What is a railgun?

A railgun is an electromagnetic projectile launcher that uses electricity to accelerate a conductive projectile along two parallel rails. It is commonly used in the military and in scientific experiments.

2. How does a high school science fair railgun work?

A high school science fair railgun works by using electricity to create a magnetic field that propels a conductive projectile along two parallel rails. The rails are connected to a power source, such as a battery, and when the projectile is placed between them, the current flows through the rails and creates a magnetic field that pushes the projectile forward at high speeds.

3. What materials are needed to build a high school science fair railgun?

The materials needed to build a high school science fair railgun include two parallel rails made of a conductive material, such as copper or aluminum, a power source, such as a battery or capacitor, a projectile, and wires to connect the rails to the power source.

4. Is a high school science fair railgun dangerous?

Yes, a high school science fair railgun can be dangerous if not built and operated properly. The high voltages and currents involved can cause electrical shocks and the projectile can cause harm if it comes into contact with a person. It is important to follow all safety precautions and have adult supervision when building and demonstrating a railgun.

5. What are some potential applications of a high school science fair railgun?

Some potential applications of a high school science fair railgun include military use, such as launching projectiles at high speeds to penetrate armor, and scientific research, such as studying the effects of high-speed impacts. It can also be used as a demonstration of electromagnetic principles and as a learning tool for students interested in science and engineering.