In summary, the conversation discusses finding the point of equilibrium where Fg=Fx, and the confusion surrounding the presence of elastic energy when the penguin is jumping. It is concluded that there is no elastic energy as the cord cannot be compressed. The conversation also delves into using energy conservation to solve the problem, with different variables and equations being discussed. An answer is eventually found by setting the energy of the penguin at the start of the jump equal to the energy at the deepest point, and solving a quadratic equation to find the maximum distance reached by the penguin.
bigbosswilly
Homework Statement
Penny (m=31kg) is learning to fly. She is attached to a 9.5m long bungee cord that has a spring constant of 72N/m. She jumps off the platform with an initial velocity of 3.5m/s [up]. Calculate the maximum distance below the platform that penny will reach (before bouncing back up).
Relevant Equations
Energy conservation, Forces equations, Energy equations
I started off by finding when Fg=Fx:

(72)(x)=(31)(9.8)
x=4.2193m

After this I'm stuck and have a few things I'm confused about:

When the penguin's jumping, is there elastic energy? (because the rope's getting compressed? Or maybe not). Also, I know you can use energy conservation, but there's too many variables and I can't solve it.

For example, I tried:

Et1= Et2
Eg + Ek = Ee (when the penguin's jumping and at the maximum distance below ledge with reference level set there as well, so no Eg)
(9.8)(31)(h) + (0.5)(31)(-3.5)^2 = (0.5)(72)(x^2)

I don't have the answer to this problem, sorry, but I was still hoping someone can help guide me through.

Physics news on Phys.org
bigbosswilly said:
I started off by finding when Fg=Fx:

(72)(x)=(31)(9.8)
x=4.2193m
This would be true in equilibrium. But Penny moves up and down at the end of the cord.
bigbosswilly said:
After this I'm stuck and have a few things I'm confused about:

When the penguin's jumping, is there elastic energy? (because the rope's getting compressed? Or maybe not).
No, the cord can not be compressed. Have you seen bungee-jumping? the cord is slack initially. See
bigbosswilly said:
Also, I know you can use energy conservation, but there's too many variables and I can't solve it.

For example, I tried:

Et1= Et2
Eg + Ek = Ee (when the penguin's jumping and at the maximum distance below ledge with reference level set there as well, so no Eg)
(9.8)(31)(h) + (0.5)(31)(-3.5)^2 = (0.5)(72)(x^2)

I don't have the answer to this problem, sorry, but I was still hoping someone can help guide me through.
Energy conservation is a good start, but what is Penny's state at the start of the jump, and what is it at the deepest point? What energies it has? And please explain your notations, x and h.

ehild said:
This would be true in equilibrium. But Penny moves up and down at the end of the cord.

No, the cord can not be compressed. Have you seen bungee-jumping? the cord is slack initially. See

Energy conservation is a good start, but what is Penny's state at the start of the jump, and what is it at the deepest point? What energies it has? And please explain your notations, x and h.

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure how to use this site yet and the quoting functions so I hope this simple reply format is ok.

For the x=4.1m, that was me trying to find the amplitude of the system (thinking back on it however, it wasn't helpful). The fact that there's no elastic energy makes a LOT more sense haha (great video too!). For the "h" and "x" variables, I set the reference point at the ledge so "h" represents the height Penny jumps above the ledge and "x" represented the stretching distance at the maximum distance at the bottom.

So I've been thinking a bit more, and managed to find an answer this way but am not sure if it is correct:

I first used kinematics to find the velocity of Penny at x=0

d= 9.5m
vi= -3.5m/s
a= 9.8m/s^2
vf= ?

I got final velocity equal to approximately 13.64 m/s [down]

I then set my reference point at maximum distance below the ledge, and set the energy of Penny when jumping equal to the energy of Penny at the maximum distance below the ledge:

Et1 = Et2
Eg + Ek = Ee
(31)(9.8)(x) + (0.5)(31)(13.64)^2 = (0.5)(72)(x^2)
303.8x + 2886.1 = 36x^2
0 = 36x^2 - 303.8x - 2886.1

I solved the quadratic and got two answers, 14m and -5m, the latter which I rejected. The maximum distance would be 9.5m + 14m, therefore the max distance would be 23.6m

Would this be correct?

Last edited:
bigbosswilly said:
Sorry, I'm not exactly sure how to use this site yet and the quoting functions so I hope this simple reply format is ok.

For the x=4.1m, that was me trying to find the amplitude of the system (thinking back on it however, it wasn't helpful). The fact that there's no elastic energy makes a LOT more sense haha (great video too!). For the "h" and "x" variables, I set the reference point at the ledge so "h" represents the height Penny jumps above the ledge and "x" represented the stretching distance at the maximum distance at the bottom.

So I've been thinking a bit more, and managed to find an answer this way but am not sure if it is correct:

I first used kinematics to find the velocity of Penny at x=0

d= 9.5m
vi= -3.5m/s
a= 9.8m/s^2
vf= ?

I got final velocity equal to approximately 13.64 m/s [down]

I then set my reference point at x=0, and set the energy of Penny when jumping equal to the energy of Penny at the maximum distance below the ledge:

Et1 = Et2
Eg + Ek = Ee
(31)(9.8)(x) + (0.5)(31)(13.64)^2 = (0.5)(72)(x^2)
303.8x + 2886.1 = 36x^2
0 = 36x^2 - 303.8x - 2886.1

I solved the quadratic and got two answers, 14m and -5m, the latter which I rejected. The maximum distance would be 9.5m + 14m, therefore the max distance would be 23.6m

Would this be correct?

Right method, but you should think about your EPE term. More specifically, does it start storing energy as soon as she drops (i.e. is it at all slack during the descent)? Hint: strings store EPE when they are stretched beyond their initial length (I am assuming you do indeed mean a string rather than a spring)? You should be able to make some quick adjustments and solve from there.

Master1022 said:
Right method, but you should think about your EPE term. More specifically, does it start storing energy as soon as she drops (i.e. is it at all slack during the descent)? Hint: strings store EPE when they are stretched beyond their initial length (I am assuming you do indeed mean a string rather than a spring)? You should be able to make some quick adjustments and solve from there.

I think it does not start storing energy as she drops? I assumed that the string would not be compressed or stretched for 9.5m down as it is the length of the string.

bigbosswilly said:
I think it does not start storing energy as she drops? I assumed that the string would not be compressed or stretched for 9.5m down as it is the length of the string.

Oh my apologies, I see you have gone through and set x at equilibrium. In that case, your answer should be correct. However, I think it would be much easier to go straight from the top to the bottom (initial KE + GPE loss ---> EPE gain) so you wouldn't need to worry about this extra middle calculation. That is often the great thing about energy arguments- you can go from beginning to end and not necessarily worry about what happened in between.

Master1022 said:
Oh my apologies, I see you have gone through and set x at equilibrium. In that case, your answer should be correct. However, I think it would be much easier to go straight from the top to the bottom (initial KE + GPE loss ---> EPE gain) so you wouldn't need to worry about this extra middle calculation. That is often the great thing about energy arguments- you can go from beginning to end and not necessarily worry about what happened in between.

Thank you very much for your help!

Related to High school Physics - Simple Harmonic Motion

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion refers to the oscillatory motion of a system or object where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. It follows a sinusoidal pattern and is characterized by a period, frequency, amplitude, and phase.

2. What is the formula for calculating the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period (T) of a simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant of the system.

3. How does the amplitude affect the motion of a simple harmonic oscillator?

The amplitude (A) of a simple harmonic oscillator is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. It directly affects the energy of the system, with higher amplitudes resulting in higher energy and larger oscillations. However, the period and frequency of the motion remain constant regardless of the amplitude.

4. Can you provide an example of a real-life application of simple harmonic motion?

One example of a real-life application of simple harmonic motion is the motion of a pendulum. A pendulum follows a SHM pattern as it swings back and forth, with the restoring force provided by gravity. This is used in various timekeeping devices, such as grandfather clocks and metronomes.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its simple harmonic motion?

The mass of an object does not affect the period or frequency of its simple harmonic motion, as long as the spring constant and amplitude remain constant. However, a heavier mass will require a larger amount of energy to maintain the motion compared to a lighter mass, resulting in smaller oscillations and a shorter distance traveled.