High School Physics: Projectiles at Angles

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball rolling off an incline plane and how to calculate the distance the ball will travel before hitting the ground. The speed of the ball, angle of the incline, and height above the ground are given, and the individual is seeking help in understanding and solving the problem. A diagram is included and different approaches are suggested, ultimately leading to the individual successfully solving the problem.
Geminiphysics

Homework Statement

"A ball rolls off an incline plane. The speed of the ball is 22m/s and the plane is inclined at 32 degrees to the horizontal.If the incline is 9.0m above the ground, how far from the base of the incline will the ball hit the floor?" (The rounded answer is supposed to be 11m)
There is also a diagram that goes with this question, which I have attached a picture of.

Homework Equations

Cosθ, sinθ, or tanθ?

The Attempt at a Solution

The rounded answer is supposed to be 11m.
The closest answer I got to this was 10.6126...m which I accidentally got by 9/(cos32). After thinking it over, I realized that I was calculating the length of the ball's vertical path (according to my understanding of the diagram. I drew what I believed to be the correct diagram and attached it, but I don't think it is right anymore.) I'm mostly confused about the placement of the 32° because, from my understanding, I think it has to be placed at another part of the diagram, other than on the roof.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
Your supplied diagram is upside-down.

Your diagram is fine. What are the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity as the ball leaves the incline? How long will it take to hit the ground? Pls show all your working.

those two angles can't be 32 can they with a 90 in the center? if one is 32 the other has to be 58

462chevelle said:
those two angles can't be 32 can they with a 90 in the center? if one is 32 the other has to be 58

They're in two separate triangles, it's fine.

EDIT:

lol after holding my head upside down I see your point now. I'm thinking that his drawn-in 32 degree angle should be 58 degrees, like you said.

ya. the hyp. is a 180 angle and has 3 angles that must =180

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try them and see if I can figure it out!

This time I tried putting the 32° in the bottom right hand corner. (I attached the picture of my new diagram)
Then, I solved for the Vertical velocity of the ball by using sinθ= Vv(vertical velocity)/Vr(resultant velocity).
I got Vv= (sin 32)(22m/s). With this I got the answer of 11.6582...m/s for the vertical velocity.
Then I figured out the horizontal velocity (Vh) by using cosθ=Vh/Vr
With the substitutions and some manipulation it became Vh= (cos32°)(22m/s) which equals 18.657...m/s.
I was thinking of using the formula d=vt+1/2at^2 to find the time (to multiply with the horizontal velocity to get the total horizontal distance) but then I realized that I would have to know the quadratic formula to do so... Which I don't...
So I was wondering if there's any other formula I could use to solve for time and if what I have done so far is correct. Thanks again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 386
Gemini, could you please post pictures that are not upside down? Thanks.

¡sʞuɐɥʇ ˙ɹǝısɐǝ ɥɔnɯ sʇןnsǝɹ ɹnoʎ buıʇǝɹdɹǝʇuı puɐ buıpɐǝɹ sǝʞɐɯ ʇı ؛ʇı ǝʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ ʎןןɐǝɹ pןnoʍ ǝʍ

Sorry about that, I'll attach another picture that's hopefully not upside-down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 396
Geminiphysics said:
Sorry about that, I'll attach another picture that's hopefully not upside-down.

Better :approve:

So you know the initial velocity in the y-direction, the height in the y-direction (9m), the acceleration (obviously 9.8 m/s2 due to gravity), and what you really want to find is the time that the ball is in the air, because knowing the time and velocity of the ball (in the x-direction) allows for a simple computation to find its distance traveled.

Look for kinematics equations that will allow for you to find the time that the ball is in the air using the information that you do have (edit: I won't supply you with them because a majority of the difficulty in these problems is knowing how to manipulate the equations you have, and to be able to recognize which equations are useful in which situations. Good luck! :smile:)

Thank you everyone! I finally figured out the answer! I appreciate all of your time and help!

awesome.

Related to High School Physics: Projectiles at Angles

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched into the air and is influenced by gravity. It follows a curved path known as a trajectory.

2. How is the angle of launch related to the distance traveled by a projectile?

The angle of launch is directly related to the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile. The greater the angle of launch, the greater the distance traveled. However, the vertical distance traveled will also increase, resulting in a longer flight time.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the horizontal and vertical distances traveled by a projectile. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down the projectile's speed.

4. Can a projectile's initial velocity be calculated using its launch angle and distance traveled?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using its launch angle and horizontal distance traveled. This can be done using the equations of projectile motion, which take into account the angle of launch, acceleration due to gravity, and the distance traveled.

5. How can the range of a projectile be maximized?

The range of a projectile can be maximized by launching it at a 45-degree angle. This is known as the optimum angle of launch and results in the greatest horizontal distance traveled. Additionally, reducing air resistance by using a more streamlined shape can also increase the range of a projectile.