Find Mass of Radioactive Sample Given MeV & Bq

• Thread starter bayan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, the formula for finding the mass of a radioactive sample given its energy in MeV and decay rate in Bq depends on whether or not the sample is moving. If it is not moving, then the mass can be calculated using the well-known equation E=mc^2 and converting eV to joules. If the sample is moving, additional calculations are needed. The decay constant is typically represented by a greek letter lambda, so it is important to clarify what the B and q represent in this case. It is also worth noting that there may be alternative, more complex formulas, but it is important to use the specified formula to avoid losing marks in a case study.
bayan
I wanted to know how to find the mass of a radioactive sample given its Energy "MeV" and and decay rate "Bq"?
Can you please give me a hand with this one by giving me the formula.

Please don't solve an example because this is part of my case study.

Thanks alot
:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Some details: is the radioactive object moving? If not, then it's energy (in eV) corresponds to its mass using a certain well-known equation (E=mc^2). BUt in order to get kg, you need to convert eV to joules (1eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 joules).
If the radioactive sample is moving then you need to do a little more.

I'm not familiar with decay rate as "Bq." Usually the decay constant is represented by a greek "lambda." Could you specify what the B and the q represent?

thanx

I thought there was a harder way.

i had that in mind but usualy what i think at the end i might get the same answer but since the formula is diffrent i lose marks.

1. How do I convert MeV to Bq?

To convert from MeV (mega electron volts) to Bq (becquerels), you will need to use the equation E = mc^2, where E is energy in joules, m is mass in kilograms, and c is the speed of light (approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s). First, convert MeV to joules by multiplying by 1.6 x 10^-13. Then, divide by c^2 to get the mass in kilograms. Finally, multiply by the decay constant of the specific radioactive isotope to get the activity in Bq.

2. What is the decay constant?

The decay constant, denoted as λ, is a measure of the rate at which a radioactive isotope decays. It is defined as the probability per unit time that an atom will decay. The larger the decay constant, the faster the isotope will decay. It is typically measured in units of inverse seconds (s^-1) or per year (yr^-1).

3. How accurate are the calculations for finding the mass of a radioactive sample?

The accuracy of the calculations for finding the mass of a radioactive sample depends on the accuracy of the input values, such as the energy in MeV and the decay constant. It is also important to consider the half-life of the isotope, as this will affect the accuracy of the result. Overall, with accurate input values and proper calculations, the mass of a radioactive sample can be determined with a high level of accuracy.

4. Can this equation be used for all radioactive isotopes?

The equation E = mc^2 can be used to find the mass of a radioactive sample for any isotope as long as the energy in MeV and the decay constant are known. However, the accuracy of the result may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the isotope, such as its half-life and decay mode.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of my calculated mass?

To verify the accuracy of the calculated mass, it is important to compare it to the expected mass based on the known properties of the isotope. This can be done by consulting reliable sources such as scientific databases or textbooks. Additionally, conducting multiple calculations and comparing the results can also help to ensure the accuracy of the calculated mass.