USA marines, war crimes, caught on video

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa Video
In summary: It's impossible to know what was on the guys mind as he was moving. He may have only wanted to crawl out of harms way, but he may very likely have decided to grab his rifle and carry it off with him too, so as to continue fighting. I think the killing was justifiable.

Originally posted by Adam
USMC training is 11 weeks, plus 1 week of parades and other such fanfare. My training was 9 months.
Of course you know this is false. Well- I can't speak for the Australian military, but in every other military I've ever heard of, your training ends the day you are discharged. Those first 12 weeks are called "basic" training for a reason - they indoctrinate you into the military, but they are NOT what makes you an effective soldier (/sailor/marine/airman).
One relies on massive numbers and firepower. The other relies on exceptional training, stealth, and walking very quietly while carrying a very big stick.
Of course you know this is also false. The US model of technology and tactics in leu of numbers is the model that the rest of the world follows (those who can anyway). And our performance speaks for itself - never before 1991 has such a large conflict been fought with so few casualties. The fact that statistically a soldier was safer in theater than at home on leave in 1991 is mind boggling.

Other western countries have drawn down their militaries becasue they know they don't need them except as a token show of strength. They know that the US will come to the aid of any western country that needs it - an idea they got from Japan after WWII.

The one service that the US has any advantage at all in size over our major enemies is the Navy. And the reason for that is it is used so much. The Army and Marine Corps are smaller (relatively speaking) because they aren't used as often. They for the most part just sit at home and train their whole careers - which presents a bit of a problem though when it comes to dealing with an Iraq type situation.

Now this is just starting to sound like jealousy/resentment. I spent some time with service members from other countries and they were great people, but it always seemed like they were upset about the fact that they didn't really defend their countries. It is a wonderful thing though that the US has created a world in which most countries don't need militaries.

You know there are exchange programs you can join? You won't really be a member of the US military, but you can pretend for a while.
That IS a creepy tape, and from what I've read it's just the tip of the iceberg. Everybody get ready for a wave of serial killers when some of these guys get back.
There were a handful (2 or 3) of wives killed at an army base when the first of the soldiers rotated back to the US. I haven't heard of any since then, and by now virtually everyone has been back at least on leave.

Soldiers don't become serial killers, they become passion/impulse killers. One of the issues there is that there is no easy way to decompress when leaving combat. Even taking a few days for counseling wouldn't help - that's just a few more days to think about not being at home.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee Harvey Oswald - United States Marine Corps
Excellent shootist by any standard

You all need to watch the tape again. The man was out in the open, barely moving and facing in the opposite direction to his weapon. Granted, he could have given some sign of surrender (if he was game), such as raising his hands - that didn't happen, so all the more reason for the marines to shout orders at him, language barrier aside it may have elicited the correct response. Instead three (considered) shots were fired. It was completely unnecessary.

Lyuokdea

First off, Adam, how can you spend such a long amount of time expaining how to compare statistics and compare them so incorrectly, first off, you are comparing Finland Suicides against U.S. Army suicides and mental health evacuations, of course this is wrong, if you want to make an actual comparrison you would simply compare U.S. suicides against Finnish suicides, and the number would be 17 to 15.
Are you insane? Blind? What is wrong with your reading comprehension? Once again, and hopefully for the last time (please pay attention here), the comparison was introduced BY SOMEONE ELSE!

Secondly, you aren't even using the right numbers, to quote Hurkyll the first person to bring the statistic forward
I'm using the numbers introduced by the person who introduced the comparison.

by the way that is the fourth post down on page 4. we now have a score of 18 to 17 and the U.S. is winning.
Eighteen suicides now? Wow. I'm glad you're impressed.

Lastly, that means that the suicide rate between soldiers suffering PTSD and fighting in a war zone is comparible, really statistically unsignificantly lower than the suicide rate of people hanging out in Finland. That means that the U.S. is doing an amazing job. Remember not only are people under much more stress fighting in Iraq, they also have the weapons disposable to commit suicide all of the time. The statistics don't lie, only your misuse of the figures involved does.
The comparison introduced by someone else was mental health problems among US troops during this campaign again suicides in Finland.

Now, using the comparison introduced by someone else, that means:

USA mental health evacuations and suicides: 27 (in about 6 months, and for about 150,000 people). That's 18 per 100,000 people per six months, or 36 in a year.

Suicides in Finland: 26.4, per 100,000 people, for one year. http://www.mcdl.org/Stats/gnpsuicide.htm

Once again, using the comparison introduced by someone else: USA military has 36, Finland has 26.4.

Naturally the nuffer who introduced the comparison was trying desperately to prove a point,a nd thus chose the European nation with the highest suicide rate he could find. And it still ends up well below the rate seen in the US military, given the comparison that chap made.

Lyuokdea

Originally posted by Lyuokdea
This doesn't answer the statistical methods which Mattius_ is bringing up. if Australians were equally likely to U.S. forces to commit suicide, and that number was the current .013%, then no australians should have committed suicide yet, to divide people, 1/5 of an australian should have committed suicide, but since non-integer suicide rates are impossible, the event should not have happened.

Secondly 1200 people is not enough to measure a probability that has a close to .013% chance of occurring. The focus group is simply not large enough to gain any actual information from a group that small, any information you do get would be statistically unsignificant, and would be too random to draw any real conclusions from. Here is an analogy, let's say I wanted to test to see if AIDS exists, I test 20 people, now according to http://www.aegis.com/news/afp/2000/AF001170.html, [Broken] the number of people with AIDS is 36.1 million, meaning that out of 6 billion people, a person has a .6% chance of having AIDS. Now I test my 20 people, according to probability 88.65% of the time (.994^20) I will find nobody with AIDS and therefore conclude that AIDS does not exist. But this is not a good sample because it is simply not large enough to prove the existence or not of an unlikely event. To get to a commonly accepted statistically significant result, I would have to test enough people that the result would not happen 95% of the time, to do this in the case of aids, i would have to test about 500 people and find nobody positive, that only has a likelyhood of 4.93%.

With suicides in Iraq even more people are needed, because there is only a .00013 percent chance that somebody commits suicide. If I take a group of 1200 people then 85.55% of the time (.99987^1200) I will find that nobody commits suicide. To find a statistically significant difference, you would have to examine a group of about 23000 people (.99987^23000 = 5.027%) to get any reliable information of whether Australians are less likely or not to commit suicide. Again, the numbers and statistics are right there in front of you.

For the curious, here are some numbers regarding Australians at war:

Served in WW1: 747,000.
Total casualties: 60,000.

Served in WW2: 990,900.
Total casualties: 35,000.

Served in Korea: 15,164.
Total casualties: 339.

Served in Vietnam: 59,000.
Total casualties: 424.
Suicides among AU Vietnam veterans from 1976 to 1996: 240.

Interesting that the US Veterans' Administration claims that "three times more Vietnam veterans have died from suicide after the war than died from enemy action during the war" according to http://www.killology.com/art_psych_price.htm. [Broken]

Out of 424 US troops killed in Iraq this time around, 130 are classified as "non-hostile", 103 of them since Bushy declared hostilities over. 13 more have no cause of detah listed.

Within the USA, suicide rates of the children of Vietnam veterans is three times higher than for non-veterans. This is a rather strong indication that there is something wrong with how US personnel handle war.

Last edited by a moderator:

Within the USA, suicide rates of the children of Vietnam veterans is three times higher than for non-veterans. This is a rather strong indication that there is something wrong with how US personnel handle war.

Funny little thing that you should mention this issue. I came across the following quote, which would seem to re-inforce what you've said:

Well that's exactly right, and there's been a series of studies on Vietnam veterans showing that you have significant health problems as compared to the general population and the latest study has shown that children of Vietnam veterans have got a higher suicide rate, three times higher suicide than the general population; suffer from a higher rate of spina bifida, suffer from a higher rate of just accidents generally than the children of the general population and there's other areas as well but the government has not acted on this report and we're very disappointed in it.

Only one problem, it's in regards to vietnam veterans children...in Australia. http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/s109939.htm [Broken] So..by your standard it would seem to indicate there is somethign wrong with how Australian personnel handle war. Give me a break!

russ_watters

Of course you know this is false. Well- I can't speak for the Australian military, but in every other military I've ever heard of, your training ends the day you are discharged.
Okay, the bit they call "training". US marines: 11 weeks. Me: 9 months. Deal with it.

Of course you know this is also false. The US model of technology and tactics in leu of numbers is the model that the rest of the world follows (those who can anyway).
You are dreaming. Many nations have superior manpower to the USA, advanced technology, yet follow vastly different military idealogies. This amazing arrogance, thinking "Our military is the best, everyone wants to be like us", is what leads to 130 deaths from friendly fire, incidents like Blackhawk Down, and more. Let's look at a comparison:

USA
Personnel: 1.3 million.
Reserves: 1.3 million.
8,100 MBTs.
151 Naval vessels.

CHINA
Personnel: 2.48 million.
Reserves: 1.2 million.
8,300 MBTs.
2,000 LBTs.
790 Naval vessels.

Now the USA method has for a long time been to "take the fight to the enemy", to perform military actions away from the home soil. Better to fight them "over there" than "over here", thus keeping the USA itself unharmed and the people less disillusioned. With the massive growth of air power and cruise missiles and such, the USA has come to the method of absolute air dominion, ultimately resulting in the "Shock & Awe" doctrine (http://www.dodccrp.org/shockIndex.html [Broken]) which saw something like 800 cruise missiles fall on the civilian city of Baghdad over a period of about two days. The method works. It blows a lot of things up. It is also expensive. The USA uses carrier groups and amssive air power to project military force around the world; it has the world's largest mobile arsenal.

China, on the other hand, with superior numbers and some of the world's most advanced hardware (the ZM-87, for example), chooses to ignore the rest of the world, refrain from extending their force beyond their borders, and build up a massive force perfectly suited to defending their country.

Let's consider, which advanced military forces follow the USA military philosophy? Canada? No. China? No. Australia? No. Enland? No. France? No. Spain? No. Germany? No. So... who does?

And our performance speaks for itself - never before 1991 has such a large conflict been fought with so few casualties. The fact that statistically a soldier was safer in theater than at home on leave in 1991 is mind boggling.
Incorrect. Please read the list of past conflicts which I provided earlier.

Other western countries have drawn down their militaries becasue they know they don't need them except as a token show of strength. They know that the US will come to the aid of any western country that needs it - an idea they got from Japan after WWII.
Could it be that the rest of us simply aren't so eager for war?

The one service that the US has any advantage at all in size over our major enemies is the Navy. And the reason for that is it is used so much.
Indeed. The reason why, I explained earlier in this post.

The Army and Marine Corps are smaller (relatively speaking) because they aren't used as often. They for the most part just sit at home and train their whole careers - which presents a bit of a problem though when it comes to dealing with an Iraq type situation.
Incorrect. The USA currently has around 320,000 soldiers in other countries. Mainly army and marines.

... but it always seemed like they were upset about the fact that they didn't really defend their countries.
Don't get all hostile with other states, and you don't have to defend your nation.

It is a wonderful thing though that the US has created a world in which most countries don't need militaries.
1) Yet every nation has a military.

2) The USA created the world? Dude, what are you smoking?

You know there are exchange programs you can join? You won't really be a member of the US military, but you can pretend for a while.
I have worked with the military forces of several nations, and the only one I ever considered worthwhile for an exchange programme was England.

There were a handful (2 or 3) of wives killed at an army base when the first of the soldiers rotated back to the US. I haven't heard of any since then, and by now virtually everyone has been back at least on leave.
I've not heard anything either, on the matter of soldiers returning home and killing spouses. I'd be interested to learn if there have been more.

Soldiers don't become serial killers, they become passion/impulse killers.
Off topic, more a question of ethics. Why is a soldier on tour not considered a serial killer, if he or she kills a lot of people?

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
Lee Harvey Oswald - United States Marine Corps
Excellent shootist by any standard
Sucker. Jimmy Hoffa was the shooter.

Kat

Only one problem, it's in regards to vietnam veterans children...in Australia.

Yep, our Vietnam vets are totally screwed up too. Agent Orange is one of the worst chemical warfare episodes in history. Vietnam veterans had less support than any other group of veterans.

But Kat, do you want to know something interesting? The Australian figure is still lower than the USA figure.

Yep, our Vietnam vets are totally screwed up too. Agent Orange is one of the worst chemical warfare episodes in history. Vietnam veterans had less support than any other group of veterans.

But Kat, do you want to know something interesting? The Australian figure is still lower than the USA figure.

There's only one problem with introducing suicide rates in this thread. According to your own Australian dept. of Phsychiatry their study of Vietnam suicide rates showed that...well let me quote the study:
Department of Psychiatry, University of Queensland, Australia.
The cohort of all Australian former army conscripts of the Vietnam conflict ea was followed from 1965 to 1982 to determine mortality rates and causes of death following completion of their National Service. Suiciders were compared with a random sample of survivors using information contained in their military documents in a nested case-control study. Their military document information was recorded before men were selected for Vietnam service and is uncontaminated by "recall bias." Suicide victims had lower mean scores on the army general intelligence and mechanical comprehension tests, were less likely to have continued education beyond high school, were less likely to be employed in white-collar or skilled blue-collar jobs between leaving school and being drafted, and more likely to have volunteered for the draft. They were more likely to have committed a civilian offense before joining the army, more likely to have gone absent without leave (AWOL), and more likely to have committed other offenses during military service. Suiciders were more likely to have a history of diagnosis and treatment for psychological disorder during service and to be judged to be less than emotionally stable at discharge. Service in Vietnam was not associated with suicide. A log-linear regression model was used to analyze death rates associated with five types of variables: cognitive abilities, education, preservice employment, conduct while in service, and physical and mental health. This analysis produced a model containing only four variables: intelligence test score, postschool education, AWOL charge during service, and history of diagnosis and treatment of psychological problems. The difference in death rates between high scorers on these items and low scorers was 46-fold, from 5.2 to 240.9 per 10,000 person-years.
The indicators you're using to show inferior training and supposedly inferior tactics are far more relative to inferior recruiting then any other factor you've put forth so far.

Pot to kettle

Are you insane? Blind? What is wrong with your reading comprehension? Once again, and hopefully for the last time (please pay attention here), the comparison was introduced BY SOMEONE ELSE!

You should go back and read it again.

Kat

The indicators you're using to show inferior training and supposedly inferior tactics are far more relative to inferior recruiting then any other factor you've put forth so far.
What in any of that has any reference to training and tactics?

What you've discovered in your amazingly adept and new research is something everyone else has known for a long time: suicide is higher among those of lower education, the unemployed, et cetera.

Pot to kettle

Originally posted by Hurkyl
You should go back and read it again.

Once again, the evidence:

1) First mention of mental health evacuations was me. I used the sentence: "Of those, 1700 deserted, 17 killed themselves, and 10 were evacuated for mental health reasons."

2) HURKYL introduced the comparison to suicides in Finland, the developed country with the highest suicide rate, as his example of "normal" suicide rates, with this: "How should I interpret those other figures? According to http://www.aneki.com/suicide.html , per year, 36 out of every 150,000 people in Finland commit suicide. Also, 10 cases of severe mental health under extreme stress out of 150,000 sounds like a great ratio to me."

This is all on page 4 of this thread.

There you go, Hurkyl. Demonstrated once again. Read more carefully, Mister Pot.

And yet, as the evidence clearly shows, I was not comparing mental health problems to suicides, contrary to what you've been claiming.

Hurkyl

Once again, the evidence:

1) First mention of mental health evacuations was me. I used the sentence: "Of those, 1700 deserted, 17 killed themselves, and 10 were evacuated for mental health reasons."

2) HURKYL introduced the comparison to suicides in Finland, the developed country with the highest suicide rate, as his example of "normal" suicide rates, with this: "How should I interpret those other figures? According to http://www.aneki.com/suicide.html , per year, 36 out of every 150,000 people in Finland commit suicide. Also, 10 cases of severe mental health under extreme stress out of 150,000 sounds like a great ratio to me."

This is all on page 4 of this thread.

There you go, Hurkyl. Demonstrated once again. Read more carefully, Mister Pot.

Once again, as is clear for anyone to see, you provided your comparison (highlighted in red now) as a response to my figures (blue). You quoted my paragraph, then made a comparison against the nation with the highest suicide rate and tried to claim it was normal. Try to cover it up now if you wish. Or you could simply admit that you made a bollocks comparison then refused to accept the reality that even that bollocks comparison showed a high rate of mental problems among US troops.

And yet, you still don't provide any evidence of your assertion that

The comparison introduced by someone else was mental health problems among US troops during this campaign again suicides in Finland.

Once again, as is clear for anyone to see, you provided your comparison (highlighted in red now) as a response to my figures (blue). You quoted my paragraph, then made a comparison against the nation with the highest suicide rate and tried to claim it was normal. Try to cover it up now if you wish. Or you could simply admit that you made a bollocks comparison then refused to accept the reality that even that bollocks comparison showed a high rate of mental problems among US troops.

And, you still have not answered my analysis of why it was statistically irrelevent. And you again lie when you say that the data said that it was higher than the rate of troop suicides, 18 suicides per 6 months per 150,000 students in Finland, vs. 17 per 6 months, per 150,000 in the U.S. again although Statistically irrelevant the statistics were similar.

And, you have also forgotten to answer the analysis that higher suicide rates are expected in battle and given the elements faced, the rate is quite low.

Originally posted by steersman
You all need to watch the tape again. The man was out in the open, barely moving and facing in the opposite direction to his weapon. Granted, he could have given some sign of surrender (if he was game), such as raising his hands - that didn't happen, so all the more reason for the marines to shout orders at him, language barrier aside it may have elicited the correct response. Instead three (considered) shots were fired. It was completely unnecessary.

I found the editing of the footage to be unnecessary. I haven't read this whole thread, so if someone else mentioned, sorry for rehashing...But, clipping the interview for their own usage is pretty lame.

Edit - anyone else find it funny that the top of the page syas "news you won't find on CNN" and is hosting footage from CNN?

Originally posted by phatmonky

Edit - anyone else find it funny that the top of the page syas "news you won't find on CNN" and is hosting footage from CNN?

Thought the same thing myself, pretty ironic

The footage was bought by, and is owned by, CNN. Whether CNN aired that footage is a different matter.

I'd rather see the original, unedited footage

The footage was bought by, and is owned by, CNN. Whether CNN aired that footage is a different matter.

It was still "found on CNN"
[zz)]