High resistance components in low frequency cutoff butterworth

In summary: The LPF transforms 1 ohm into 50 ohm. It is realistic, but it might be possible to change it to minimise inductor costs.
mehrlin
I just recently built a low-pass butterworth filter with a cutoff of 50Hz. When I looked to purchase the parts, I noticed that each inductor had a resistance of several hundred ohms. I put this information into my simulator program and the result was something that looks nothing like the expected output.

How would I design a new filter that takes into account the resistances native to each part?

Engineering news on Phys.org
mehrlin said:
I just recently built a low-pass butterworth filter with a cutoff of 50Hz. When I looked to purchase the parts, I noticed that each inductor had a resistance of several hundred ohms. I put this information into my simulator program and the result was something that looks nothing like the expected output.

How would I design a new filter that takes into account the resistances native to each part?

Does the filter have to be non-powered? If not, consider an active filter version; You can even do away with the inductors! Look up the keywords: "Sallen–Key topology Butterworth".

If you would be willing to post your circuit we may be able to offer suggestions. For instance, have you considered replacing your resistors with capacitors and your inductors with resistors?

Here's a picture. Unfortunately, going active will not be an option because supplying power to the op-amp will not be feasible.

I'm unfamiliar with switching out components like you mentioned. Can you elaborate?The resistor at the end of the circuit is simulating the load, and so can't be changed

Attachments

• Filter Picture.png
    Filter Picture.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Since filters made with real inductors will always have this problem (although typically not as extreme as your problem), a technique is available to deal with it, known as pre-distortion.

A quick search turns up a master's thesis describing a method to pre-distort, and containing many references:

http://etd.auburn.edu/etd/bitstream/handle/10415/2383/Thesis2_1_1.pdf?sequence=2

Your particular inductors have very low Q, and it may not be possible even with pre-distortion to achieve your desired result with those inductors. You may have to get some better inductors.

How large is the signal you are trying to filter? It may be possible to harvest some energy from the signal itself to power a micropower opamp based active filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 250 mH inductor? That's a very large inductance - it must be wound with miles of wire, hence the high resistance. This is usually the case with low freq stuff.

Increase the capacitance values by a factor of 10 and reduce the inductor values by the same factor.

Capacitors are cheaper than inductors so you might redesign to use a Pi configuration rather than a T. Then you will only need two inductors and three capacitors.

Why did you choose these inductors?
Does your filter have high current requirements?

A low pass filter is a matching device. It matches the impedance of the source to the impedance of the load. Your source impedance is 1 ohm and your load impedance is 50 ohm. It is not just the cut-off frequency that determines the component values needed, it is also the terminal impedance values.
Your LPF transforms 1 ohm into 50 ohm. Is that realistic, or could it be changed to minimise inductor costs.

Related to High resistance components in low frequency cutoff butterworth

1. What is the purpose of using high resistance components in low frequency cutoff butterworth filters?

High resistance components are used in low frequency cutoff butterworth filters to reduce the amount of noise and interference in the output signal. This is achieved by attenuating high frequency signals while allowing low frequency signals to pass through.

2. How do high resistance components affect the cutoff frequency of a butterworth filter?

The presence of high resistance components in a butterworth filter increases the cutoff frequency, meaning that it will allow a wider range of lower frequencies to pass through while attenuating higher frequencies.

3. Can high resistance components be used in conjunction with other types of filters?

Yes, high resistance components can be used in conjunction with other types of filters, such as capacitors and inductors, to create more complex filters with specific frequency response characteristics.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using high resistance components in low frequency cutoff butterworth filters?

One potential drawback of using high resistance components is that they can introduce a small amount of signal distortion, particularly at higher frequencies. This can be minimized by carefully selecting the values of the components and using high quality components.

5. How do I choose the appropriate high resistance components for my butterworth filter?

The values of the high resistance components used in a butterworth filter will depend on the desired cutoff frequency and the specific circuit design. It is important to carefully calculate and select these components to ensure the desired frequency response is achieved.