High power lasers and nature of light waves

In summary, the power of a laser is determined by the frequency and wavelength of the beam. Higher frequency beams have more energy, but the ability to damage an object also depends on the intensity and spot size of the beam, as well as the material's response. Frequency is measured in cycles per second and is related to wavelength by the speed of the wave. Understanding the relationship between frequency and wavelength is important in designing powerful lasers. Reading high school and college physics textbooks and doing online research can help in learning about high-powered lasers.
thalion777
I am trying to learn about high-powered lasers. i am wondering what effects the actual power of the laser (the part that makes it burn). is it wave-length or frequency. Is gamma rays more destructive then visable light, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Higher frequency beams carry more energy (E = hf). In order of lowest frequency to highest, and therefore least destructive to most, we have: radio waves, terahertz, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-rays, gamma rays. That is why x-rays can give you cancer but infrared does not. In free space, wavelength and frequency are trivially related, f = c/lambda, so that higher frequencies are always shorter wavelengths. You only need to talk about one and other is understood.

That being said, the ability of a laser to damage an object depends on many things: the intensity of the laser beam, the spot size to which the beam is focused, and the way in which the specific material responds to the beam (which is frequency dependent).

chrisbaird said:
Higher frequency beams carry more energy (E = hf). In order of lowest frequency to highest, and therefore least destructive to most, we have: radio waves, terahertz, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-rays, gamma rays. That is why x-rays can give you cancer but infrared does not. In free space, wavelength and frequency are trivially related, f = c/lambda, so that higher frequencies are always shorter wavelengths. You only need to talk about one and other is understood.

That being said, the ability of a laser to damage an object depends on many things: the intensity of the laser beam, the spot size to which the beam is focused, and the way in which the specific material responds to the beam (which is frequency dependent).

if you got placks constant (H) and multiplied it with the frequency (F) you get E. How do you know what the frequency is if you know what type of wave it is. For example, you have a gamma, or y ray, which is between the frequency of about 10^20 to about 10^24 which is measured in "V", i believe. What is "V" and how is it measured, and when you multiply that tiny number of Plancks constant with that number, you get a number that represents energy. What is the energy measured in and how does that relate to in the real world?

also, what relates more to power of laser, wavelength or frequency. According to wikipedia, they are like opposites. y waves are the highest frequency and lowest wave length and vice-versa

basically, I am trying to learn how to make the most powerful laser at the smallest size, although energy is nearly infinate. I want it to be like the industrial lasers which are c02. it doesn't have to be visable light, infact, i would prefer it wasnt

Frequency is measured in cycles per second (1/s), also labeled Herz (Hz). For instance, a 2 THz laser means 2 TeraHerz or 2x10^12 cycles per second. Like I said, in free space, frequency and wavelength are trivially related, so it does not matter which one you use in your equations. I suggest you work through an introductory physics textbook because designing lasers involves much more difficult concepts than understanding the relationship between frequency and wavelength.

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/EM_spectrum.svg[/URL]
that doesn't seem possible considering that frequency and wavelength are totally different. from 10^24 to 10^-16. also, would a high school physics textbook work? i am not even in chemistry as i am a sophomore in high school. i am trying to get ahead in science as i have a knack and an interest in physics and inventing and have always been at the head of my class

Last edited by a moderator:
thalion777 said:
that doesn't seem possible considering that frequency and wavelength are totally different.

What does not seem possible? That frequency and wavelength are "trivially related"? They are. You should soon understand that.

also, would a high school physics textbook work?
I am not sure about your plans. I have seen some HS textbooks and they typically do not discuss design of laser systems. So, assuming you are looking at some advanced concepts, you should have in your possession a college textbook just to get a peek at what lies ahead. And to see if you are able to deal with the math. And please do online research.

i am not even in chemistry as i am a sophomore in high school. i am trying to get ahead in science as i have a knack and an interest in physics and inventing and have always been at the head of my class

That is awesome. Don't be discouraged, but be realistic. And be patient. There is always a lot to learn which takes time.

The E = hf formula gives you the energy of one photon in the beam of light. Frequency and wavelength for any wave are related by V=f*λ where V is the speed of the wave (m/s), λ is wavelength (meters).

The really fascinating thing about light is that it has both wave and particle properties that show up in different experiments. In high school physics you should see interference (shows that light is a wave) and the photo electric effect (where light acts as particles - photons).

High school physics is fairly advanced. In fact, you will not see much in first year physics at university that is not in high school physics, though the problems will be more complicated and you may use more advanced math (calculus). Definitely read the high school physics books. Look up stuff in Wikipedia.

Related to High power lasers and nature of light waves

1. What is a high power laser?

A high power laser is a device that produces a powerful and concentrated beam of light through the process of stimulated emission. This means that the laser beam is created by stimulating atoms to release photons of light in a controlled and coherent manner. High power lasers are used in a variety of applications, such as cutting and welding, medical procedures, and scientific research.

2. How is the power of a laser measured?

The power of a laser is typically measured in watts (W), which represents the amount of energy that the laser emits per unit of time. For high power lasers, the power can range from a few watts to several thousand watts. The power of a laser can also be measured in terms of intensity, which is the concentration of power over a given area.

3. How do high power lasers affect the nature of light waves?

High power lasers can affect the nature of light waves in several ways. First, they can increase the intensity and coherence of the light, meaning that the waves are more concentrated and aligned. Second, they can change the properties of the light waves, such as their polarization or wavelength. Third, high power lasers can even create new types of light waves, such as terahertz waves, which have important applications in science and technology.

4. What is the relationship between high power lasers and frequency/wavelength of light?

The frequency and wavelength of light are closely related to the power of a laser. The frequency of light is a measure of how many waves pass a given point in a second, while the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive wave peaks. In general, high power lasers have shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies, which means that the light waves are more energetic and can carry more information.

5. How are high power lasers used in scientific research?

High power lasers are an essential tool in scientific research, as they allow scientists to study and manipulate light at extremely high levels of intensity and precision. They are used in fields such as optics, materials science, chemistry, and physics to understand the fundamental nature of light and its interactions with matter. High power lasers are also used in cutting-edge technologies, such as particle accelerators and fusion reactors, to push the boundaries of scientific discovery.