High & Low Resistivity Effects on Magnetic Field Lines

In summary, the two MHD equations can be formulated as \vec{E} + \vec{v} \times \vec{B} = \eta \vec{J} and \nabla \times \vec{B} = \mu_0 \vec{J}, with \eta representing the resistivity of the plasma. In the high resistivity limit, the equation for the magnetic field can be simplified to \frac{\eta}{\mu_0} \nabla^2 \vec{B} +(\vec{B} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{v}-(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{B}-
Logarythmic

Homework Statement

Two of the MHD equations can be formulated as

[tex]\vec{E} + \vec{v} \times \vec{B} = \eta \vec{J}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \times \vec{B} = \mu_0 \vec{J}[/tex]

where [itex]\eta[/tex] is the resistivity of the plasma.

a.) Derive an equation for the magnetic field at very high resistivity and describe the corresponding consequences for the behaviour of the magnetic field lines.

b.) Derive an equation for the magnetic field av very low resistivity and describe the corresponding consequences for the behaviour of the magnetic field lines.

Homework Equations

The set of Maxwell equations?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue. This has been a problem for a week or so, and it's the only one I got left. The only thing I know is that when the resistivity is low, the field is frozen-in to the plasma.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... I'm not too familiar with Magnetohydrodynamics, but it seems to me that you might need at least one more equation...

I'd start by eliminating J from your equations, giving you a single realtion involving E and B.

In the limit of extremely high resistivity, you may be able to treat [tex]\frac{1}{\eta}(\vec{E} + \vec{v} \times \vec{B})[/tex] as effectively zero.

In the opposite limit, I think you need another equation in order to eliminate E...Does [tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=\frac{-\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}[/tex] hold true in MHD? If so, I'd use that to eliminate E.

Yeah Faraday's law holds, so maybe

[tex]\frac{\eta}{\mu_0} \nabla^2 \vec{B} - (\nabla \cdot \vec{v})\vec{B} - \frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t} = 0[/tex]

is a correct answer?
But what about the behaviour of the field lines? Could one say that for high resistivity the current is zero and the magnetic field is static, and that for low resistivity the field lines are frozen-in?

Logarythmic said:
Yeah Faraday's law holds, so maybe

[tex]\frac{\eta}{\mu_0} \nabla^2 \vec{B} - (\nabla \cdot \vec{v})\vec{B} - \frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t} = 0[/tex]

is a correct answer?

I think you are missing a couple of terms; shouldn't it be:

[tex]\frac{\eta}{\mu_0} \nabla^2 \vec{B} +(\vec{B} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{v}-(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{B}- (\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{v})\vec{B} - \frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t} = 0[/tex]

And since you are talking about the low resisitivity limit, you can probably neglect the first term:

[tex](\vec{B} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{v}-(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{B}- (\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{v})\vec{B} - \frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t} = 0[/tex]

But what about the behaviour of the field lines? Could one say that for high resistivity the current is zero and the magnetic field is static, and that for low resistivity the field lines are frozen-in?

Well, I'm not really sure what the field lines look like in the low resistivity limit, but you could try plotting the solution to the above PDE to see.

EDIT: You can probably make some assumptions about the velocity field of the plasma in the high resistivity limit that will simplify the PDE further.

As for the high resistivity limit, don't you have

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B} \approx 0[/tex]

That should tell you something about the field lines.

Related to High & Low Resistivity Effects on Magnetic Field Lines

1. What is resistivity and how does it affect magnetic field lines?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. In the context of magnetic field lines, it refers to the ability of a material to allow magnetic field lines to pass through it without hindrance. High resistivity materials, such as rubber or glass, do not allow magnetic field lines to pass through easily, while low resistivity materials, such as metals, allow for the easy passage of magnetic field lines.

2. How does high resistivity affect the strength of a magnetic field?

High resistivity materials tend to weaken the strength of a magnetic field passing through them. This is because the resistance in the material causes the magnetic field lines to spread out and become less concentrated, resulting in a weaker overall magnetic field.

3. Can low resistivity materials affect the direction of magnetic field lines?

Yes, low resistivity materials can affect the direction of magnetic field lines. When a magnetic field passes through a low resistivity material, the electrons within the material may align themselves with the magnetic field, causing the field lines to be redirected and creating a distortion in the overall direction of the field.

4. How does temperature affect resistivity and its effect on magnetic field lines?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the resistivity of a material. In general, as temperature increases, resistivity also increases. This means that as temperature increases, the ability of a material to allow magnetic field lines to pass through it decreases, resulting in a weaker and more dispersed magnetic field.

5. Are there any practical applications for high and low resistivity effects on magnetic field lines?

Yes, there are many practical applications for understanding the effects of resistivity on magnetic field lines. For example, this knowledge is essential in designing power lines and transformers, as high resistivity materials are used as insulators to prevent the loss of energy due to magnetic field lines. Additionally, understanding the effects of temperature on resistivity is crucial in creating efficient and reliable electronic devices.