High Frequency Square Wave Generator: 500 MHz, 2 Channels

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a high frequency 2 channel square wave generator with a frequency of over 500 MHz. Various options are mentioned, such as pulse pattern generators from companies like Agilent or Anritsu, or using DDS chips or astable multi-vibrators to create a similar effect. However, it is noted that a real 500 MHz square wave generator is likely to be expensive, with prices ranging from $6,000 to $25,000. The original poster expresses gratitude for the suggestions but states that they are not skilled enough to create such a device on their own.
SwissApe
Greetings,

Sorry to bother you with such a trivial question, but I'm looking for a high frequency (>500 MHz) 2 channels square wave generator.
Do you know any material (not too expensive if possible) that would match these specifications?

Many thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you be a bit more specific?
Do you mean a generator with a 500 MHz analog bandwidth OR a generator that can produce a 50-50 square wave with a 1/500e6 s period?
In either case it sounds like you are asking about something called a pulse pattern generator. You can buy them from e.g. Agilent or Anritsu.
The price will probably be somewhere in the range $10 000-$30 000.

SwissApe said:
Greetings,

Sorry to bother you with such a trivial question, but I'm looking for a high frequency (>500 MHz) 2 channels square wave generator.
Do you know any material (not too expensive if possible) that would match these specifications?

Many thanks!

500MHz 50 Ohm signal generators are available, but I don't know about the square wave part. What are you intending to use it for? 500MHz square waves exist on high-speed digital integrated circuits, but are not generally driven off-chip.

i was going to suggest DDS but doubt there's any chip out there to work with

f95toli is right, a real 2 channel square wave generator capable of 500Mhz is going to be pretty expensive.

But I'm guessing that you're interested in making something?

DDS - (Direct Digital Synthesis) chips are interesting. Analog Devices makes some but I'm not sure if you can get 500Mhz output from these.

Look up "astable multi-vibrator" circuits. Depends on your purpose, of course, but a simple circuit might be good enough.

I don't know if this would satisfy your needs, but couldn't you take a 500mHz sine wave and put two diodes in anti-parallel across the output, amplify the voltage if necessary, then use zener diodes to help eliminate the non-horizontal parts of the wave?

The problem comes if you need to alter the duty cycle of one part of the wave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for all your answers, I'll see what I can find in commercial pulse generators... I'm afraid I'm not good enough to make such a device on my own.

Related to High Frequency Square Wave Generator: 500 MHz, 2 Channels

1. What is a high frequency square wave generator?

A high frequency square wave generator is a type of electronic device that produces a square-shaped electrical signal at a very high frequency, typically in the megahertz (MHz) or gigahertz (GHz) range. This type of signal is commonly used in electronic testing and research, as well as in applications such as telecommunications and radio broadcasting.

2. What is the frequency range of this specific generator?

This particular high frequency square wave generator has a frequency range of 500 MHz, meaning it can produce signals with frequencies up to 500 million cycles per second. This is considered a very high frequency and allows for precise and accurate measurements in a wide range of applications.

3. What does it mean to have 2 channels in a square wave generator?

A channel in a square wave generator refers to the number of independent output signals that can be produced simultaneously. Having 2 channels means that this generator can produce two separate square waves at the same time, allowing for more complex testing and measurement setups.

4. What are the applications of a 500 MHz, 2-channel square wave generator?

A 500 MHz, 2-channel square wave generator has a wide range of applications in electronics testing, research, and development. It can be used for signal generation and modulation, frequency response testing, and as a source for clock signals in digital circuits. It is also commonly used in telecommunications and radio broadcasting for signal processing and modulation.

5. How does a high frequency square wave generator work?

A high frequency square wave generator works by using electronic components such as oscillators and amplifiers to produce a square-shaped waveform at a specific frequency. The frequency and amplitude of the output signal can be adjusted using controls on the generator. This signal can then be used for various testing and measurement purposes.