High energy proton beam collimation

In summary, the individual has a problem with finding a workshop that can drill a small enough hole in a thick material for a collimator needed for a high energy beam. They suggest creating two parts or consulting existing accelerator projects for solutions.
1Keenan
Hi all,

my question is not strictly related with physics and I don't know if it is the right section.
Anyway I have a problem with a collimator: I need 100micron (or maybe smaller) collimator, but the high energy (60-70 MeV) of the beam need a material which is at last 5mm thick, (tungsten for example).
My problem is that I cannot find any workshop able to drill such a small hole on the thickness I need.
I know I could use a stack of smaller collimators, but who drills the hole do not assemble the stack and I'm quite sure the result could be quite poor...
Do you know someone who can solve my problem

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try to make two parts (like "left" / "right"), and get the hole as result of their combination.
Or ask existing accelerator projects how they built their collimators.

high energy (60-70 MeV)
:wink:

mfb said:
You could try to make two parts (like "left" / "right"), and get the hole as result of their combination.
Or ask existing accelerator projects how they built their collimators.

:wink:

the left/right thing could be a solution, but anyway it works on thinner materials, I would need the stack anyway.

Collimators used in accelerator projects ar not so small... :(

Related to High energy proton beam collimation

What is high energy proton beam collimation?

High energy proton beam collimation is a process used in particle accelerators to control and shape the trajectory of high energy proton beams. This is important for ensuring the safety and efficiency of the accelerator and its experiments.

Why is high energy proton beam collimation necessary?

High energy proton beams are extremely powerful and can cause damage if not properly controlled. Collimation helps to prevent beam losses and protect sensitive equipment by directing the beams along a desired path.

How does high energy proton beam collimation work?

High energy proton beam collimation works by using various devices, such as collimators and absorbers, to shape and guide the proton beam. These devices are strategically placed along the beamline to control the beam's size and intensity.

What are the challenges in high energy proton beam collimation?

One of the main challenges in high energy proton beam collimation is developing materials and devices that can withstand the high energies and intensities of the proton beams without being damaged. Another challenge is accurately predicting and controlling the beam's behavior.

What are the applications of high energy proton beam collimation?

High energy proton beam collimation is used in a variety of applications, including particle physics research, medical treatments such as proton therapy, and industrial processes such as material analysis and radiation therapy. It is also crucial in the development of future high energy particle accelerators.