High current DC power connectors?

In summary: I use these connectors to connect 12 batteries in parallel.In summary, the conversation revolves around finding heavy duty DC connectors that can handle a current draw of 100 amps for a project involving 2 high-torque DC motors. Recommendations are given for Anderson Connectors, Amphenol connectors, and MS 310X connectors. The use of multiple pins and bus bars are suggested to handle the high current, and the importance of checking motor start up and stall currents is emphasized. Anderson Connectors are mentioned as a reliable and affordable option for heavy duty DC connections.
opmal7
Hi everyone. I'm working on a project that uses 2 high-torque DC motors to move a system. The max current draw from each motor is 50 Amps, so the total current draw for the circuit is 100 Amps. The power for the motors will be coming from a vehicle battery, and will have to be routed to the back of the vehicle. I would like to run a cable from the battery terminals into a flanged receptacle that the system can plug in to. I've been looking for a couple days, and I'm having trouble finding readily available connectors that can handle 100 Amps.

Does anyone have any recommendations on companies that make (and possibly stock) heavy duty connectors? This is the first time I've had to work with DC motors and DC circuits, so maybe there's a better way to transmit power from the battery to the motors. I've looked at some circular connectors, but I'm having trouble finding anything that will transmit 100 Amps or crimp on to an 8 gauge wire.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use multiple pins of the connector for +V and return. This is very common practice. Say if you have a 10 pins connector and it is spec 30A per pin, you use 5 pins for +V and 5 pins for 0V return. You have yourself a 150A connector. Just remember don't push it. Don't just make 100A for 100A operation.

If you really cannot find one connector to run both +V and return, Use one connector with multiple pins for +V and one connector for return, that should not be hard to find. You should be able to find one that can take over 100A total per connector.

Duh, why didn't I think of that. 4 pins @ 25 amps each will be much easier to find than 1 pin @100 amps.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Try welding supply stores.

opmal7 said:
Duh, why didn't I think of that. 4 pins @ 25 amps each will be much easier to find than 1 pin @100 amps.

Thanks a lot for your help.

If each pin @ 25A, use 6 pins to be safe.

The 100 Amp estimate is already padded with a decent safety factor, but thanks for making the point.

How would you connect a large wire into multiple pins? For example I have a 2 gauge wire carrying up to 100 amps, and want to separate it to 4 pins that will carry up to 25 amps each. Most pins I've seen in these connectors will only fit up to a 12 gauge wire. How would I go about connecting the 2 gauge wire into the smaller pins?

opmal7 said:
The 100 Amp estimate is already padded with a decent safety factor, but thanks for making the point.

How would you connect a large wire into multiple pins? For example I have a 2 gauge wire carrying up to 100 amps, and want to separate it to 4 pins that will carry up to 25 amps each. Most pins I've seen in these connectors will only fit up to a 12 gauge wire. How would I go about connecting the 2 gauge wire into the smaller pins?

Same as the connector, put the 2 gauge onto a bus bar and branch out to few of the smaller wires. Actually, it is better to use a few smaller wires in parallel instead of one big wire if you can change it.

This is what you need:
http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-sb.html

Something like an SB120 would work for 120amps max.

They are used all over in industry. I mostly see them on forklifts.

Chris

edit: They are $6 each from here http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/sb120-sb-series-120-amp.html

Be sure to check the motor start up and motor stall currents.

DC connectors

opmal7 said:
Hi everyone. I'm working on a project that uses 2 high-torque DC motors to move a system. The max current draw from each motor is 50 Amps, so the total current draw for the circuit is 100 Amps. The power for the motors will be coming from a vehicle battery, and will have to be routed to the back of the vehicle. I would like to run a cable from the battery terminals into a flanged receptacle that the system can plug in to. I've been looking for a couple days, and I'm having trouble finding readily available connectors that can handle 100 Amps.

Does anyone have any recommendations on companies that make (and possibly stock) heavy duty connectors? This is the first time I've had to work with DC motors and DC circuits, so maybe there's a better way to transmit power from the battery to the motors. I've looked at some circular connectors, but I'm having trouble finding anything that will transmit 100 Amps or crimp on to an 8 gauge wire.

Thanks for any help and advice!
You can Google "Anderson Connectors they have what is needed.

Dc high current connectors

SB is the same as "Anderson Connectors"

Amphenol makes some heavy duty connectors that support up to at least 200 amps.

http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/12-052.pdf

The are aerospace grade and can be expensive, you are probably looking at $100-$130 a connector.

Google for "100a plug and socket". "100a connector" seems to find connector blocks for permanemt wiring, which is not what you want of course.

Here's Amphenol's page for MS 310X connectors, commercial 97 series..
most #36 inserts have 0 size contacts which oughta do, see pages 16&17 of brochure pdf pages 19&20.
http://www.amphenol.com.au/catalogue/ms97series.pdf

With those you build the part number by choosing shell, insert and orientation, backshell& strain relief, etc etc etc... that's why the part number is so long. I like them because they're widely available ( but expensive).

Thanks for the question - I have some surplus 200A army tank alternators and need mating connectors..

good luck -

Last edited:
DC heavy duty connectors

Anderson Connectors are very cheap they go up to 300 amps and they have different colours,also they have up to 4/O connectors.I have been using them for over 10 years on my Solar array to connect my deep cycle batteries I have 24 batteries.

Related to High current DC power connectors?

1. What is a high current DC power connector?

A high current DC power connector is a type of electrical connector that is designed to handle high levels of direct current (DC) electricity. These connectors are typically used in applications that require high power, such as in industrial machinery or high-powered electronic devices.

2. How do high current DC power connectors differ from regular connectors?

High current DC power connectors differ from regular connectors in several ways. They are designed to handle higher levels of current, typically ranging from 20-100 amps, compared to the 1-5 amps handled by regular connectors. They also have larger contact surfaces and more robust construction to handle the high power levels without overheating or breaking.

3. What are the common types of high current DC power connectors?

Some common types of high current DC power connectors include Anderson Powerpole connectors, XT90 connectors, and XT60 connectors. These connectors come in different sizes and configurations to fit various applications and current levels.

4. What are the benefits of using high current DC power connectors?

The main benefit of using high current DC power connectors is their ability to handle high levels of current without overheating or failing. They also provide a secure and reliable connection, reducing the risk of electrical malfunctions or accidents. Additionally, these connectors are often designed for easy installation and removal, making them convenient for use in various applications.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using high current DC power connectors?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when using high current DC power connectors. It is essential to make sure that the connectors and cables are compatible and properly rated for the current level. It is also important to follow proper installation procedures and ensure that the connectors are securely connected to prevent electrical hazards. Regular maintenance and inspection of the connectors can also help ensure safe and reliable operation.