How do most colleges measure GPA?

In summary, this conversation is about how different colleges and universities measure academic achievement with a grading system of A+, A-, B+, B-, C+, C-, D+, D-.
Euphoriet
Do all collegs measure an -A as less than a 4.0 (gpa points)?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is how it's scored where I'm at:

A ... 4
A- ...3.7
B+ ...3.3
B ...3.0
B- ...2.7
C+...2.3
C...2.0

This is "unweighted" - you can't get higher than a 4.0. So much for my A plusses! :frown:

Last edited:
what college is this?

All colleges that have a +/- system obviously count them as fractional points. It wouldn't make any sense to treat an A and an A- the same.

Also notice that as soon as a school introduces a +/- system, grades instantly all go down, since there is no A+. :mad:

- Warren

Euphoriet said:
what college is this?

That's UCLA's scoring system, and a lot of the California community colleges use it also.

In my Uni it works like this

75+ = A
70-75 = B
60-69 = c
50-59= D
<50 is a fail. :mad:

I'm applying to study in US next year and they said to enroll I would need a GPA of 3.5. Wots that an average of? 70%??

It's very difficult to associate an average with a grade in the US. Many classes adopt the convention that 90%+ is an A, 80-89% a B, and so on, but many professors choose to score their students differently.

- Warren

Oh my hat... a 90 + is an A. I don't stand a chance in hell. its bloody hard to get abouve 70 in my unigersity especially in the courses that i am doing. How hard is it to get into berkley?

Our grading system breaks down like this:
4.0 ... 100% - 85% ... A
3.7 ... 84% - 80% ... A-
3.3 ... 79% - 75% ... B+
3.0 ... 74% - 70% ... B
2.7 ... 69% - 65% ... B-
2.3 ... 65% - 60% ... C+
2.0 ... 59% - 55% ... C
1.0 ... 54% - 50% ... D
0 ... <50% ... F

Though the other university about 12 blocks from us gives out A+ as well. It's equivalent to a 95%+ and has a GPA of 4.3

Here's some data for you, Moo:
http://students.berkeley.edu/admissions/transfer.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx but i still don't get wot my average in % should be. Will they weight it according to wot my Uni gives me or accrding to their own. I mean if a 75% is an A at wits would UCB consider it as a B??... I dunno. U r a star Math_is _hard!

Most schools don't count transfer credits toward your GPA anyway, particularly because of situations like this, where the grading systems are so different.

- Warren

chroot said:
Most schools don't count transfer credits toward your GPA anyway, particularly because of situations like this, where the grading systems are so different.

- Warren

true. Once you transfer into UCLA, you start all aver again with your G.P.A.

BTW: Moo, I think only an admissions counselor could help you for sure. If someone at your school doesn't know, you'll have to contact Berkeley. You can try Berkeley's Services for International Students and Scholars by emailing
siss@uclink.berkeley.edu

I was wondering the real point for GPA was after high school.. I mean.. if you get a 2 as opposed to a 4.3 or w/e... how will that affect you?

Will jobs look at your gpa?...

Generally, companies will look at your GPA when you're fresh out of college. As you gain experience, they begin to worry more about your past experience, rather than your GPA.

Graduate schools, however, are pretty much a no-go if you have a bad GPA. If you don't take undergraduate school seriously, you'll automatically close a lot of doors to higher education.

- Warren

My school doesn't use minuses, only pluses. They say they do this because they think that minuses hurt our grades instead of help them.

A = 4.0
B+ = 3.5
B = 3.0
C+ = 2.5
C = 2.0
D+ = 1.5
D = 1.0
F = 0.0

Please post what school you are posting the scale for, thanks.

Sorry, I didn't realize that was required. Univerisity of South Carolina - Aiken. I just know y'all have heard of it.

F = 10.0 LOL. w00h00

Chrono said:
My school doesn't use minuses, only pluses. They say they do this because they think that minuses hurt our grades instead of help them.

A = 4.0
B+ = 3.5
B = 3.0
C+ = 2.5
C = 2.0
D+ = 1.5
D = 1.0
F = 0.0

Same for us here...WSU in Pullman, WA

Arkansas grading system:
90+ A 4.0GPA
80+ B 3.0GPA
70+ C 2.0GPA
60+ D 1.0GPA
60- F 00000
How simple is that, no A+ or C-. lol!

Canada gives GPAs, referring to Time Traveler? All I know is that GPAs are not universal. I thought that only US used this system?

I wanted to reply to this earlier but I was caught up in another science forum. The GPA system I follow (posted on the previous page) is from McGill University in Montreal.

To put it as a generality, just about every university in Canada uses the GPA system like our US conterparts. As far as I can tell, I think the majority of all universities in both countries follows a GPA system. They may not be exactly the same but the idea is still there.

Time Traveler said:
I wanted to reply to this earlier but I was caught up in another science forum.

And what forum was that?

whoa.. i have never even seen above a 4.0... i don't think my school has A+'s

1. How do colleges calculate a student's GPA?

Colleges typically calculate GPA by assigning a numerical value to each letter grade and then averaging those values. For example, an A may be worth 4 points, a B worth 3 points, and so on. The cumulative GPA is then calculated by dividing the total number of points earned by the total number of classes taken.

2. Do all colleges use the same grading scale for calculating GPA?

No, not all colleges use the same grading scale. Some may use a 4.0 scale, while others may use a 5.0 scale. It is important to check with each individual college to see how they calculate GPA.

3. How are honors and AP classes factored into a student's GPA?

Honors and AP classes are often weighted, meaning they are given a higher numerical value than regular classes. For example, an A in an AP class may be worth 5 points instead of 4. This can help boost a student's GPA.

4. How does a student's GPA affect their college admissions?

GPA is one of the factors that colleges consider during the admissions process. A high GPA can demonstrate a student's academic abilities and commitment to their studies. However, colleges also consider other factors such as extracurricular activities, essays, and test scores.

5. Can a student's GPA change over time?

Yes, a student's GPA can change over time as they take more classes and earn different grades. However, some colleges may only consider a student's GPA up until a certain point, such as the end of their junior year of high school. It is important for students to maintain a strong GPA throughout their academic career.