Opinions on the idea of rishons

In summary, the idea of rishons, proposed by Harari and Seidberg, suggests that sub-atomic particles are grouped in threes. This does not conflict with the concept of mesons, as they are already arranged in groups of three in some cases. The grouping of rishons also does not affect the structure of mesons or baryons. However, some find this theory unnecessary and underdeveloped, as it adds unnecessary complexity and still leaves unresolved issues. Additionally, there is no evidence to support the existence of rishons and the idea remains speculative.
Adam
I would like some opinions on the idea of rishons (Harari and Seidberg) please. Am I correct that this idea groups all sub-atomic particles in bunches of three? If so, wouldn't this come into conflict with the idea of mesons?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I have read, it appears that rishons are supposed to be constituents of quarks, in theory. This alone does not conflict with the structure of mesons or baryons. As far as grouping sub-atomic particles into groups of three, this does already occur in some cases. The pions are a group of three similar particles; we call them an "isospin triplet". There are isospin triplets in every multiplet of mesons and baryons, as the multiplets for mesons in SU(3) include nine members, and the multiplets for baryons may include either eight, nine, or ten members. All mesons are arranged into groups of nine (nonet) that break down into one group of three (triplet), two groups of two (doublets), and two individuals (singlets). The baryons get a little more complicated.

I do not see how rishons generate any conflict in this regard, since the grouping of three they refer to is the (u, c, t) and (d, s, b) grouping of quark types by charge. This has no specific bearing on mesons, which are constituents of a quark and an anti-quark of any flavor/type.

In my personal opinion, I find the theory on rishons to be quite unnecessary and underdeveloped. It makes things more complicated than they need to be, and still leaves unresolved issues of the same type that it attempts to resolve in the first place (especially by trying to explain the 2/3 versus -1/3 charges of quarks by "masculine" and "feminine" rishons that have different fractional charges themselves!). Not only that, but we still have no reason to believe that quarks are not point-like as they are, so I wouldn't put any stock in rishons just yet.

1. What are rishons?

Rishons are hypothetical particles that were proposed as the fundamental building blocks of protons and neutrons. They are thought to have mass and electric charge, and they are postulated to exist in a bound state within nucleons.

2. How were rishons proposed?

The concept of rishons was first proposed by physicist Harari and Shupe in 1979. They suggested that the substructure of protons and neutrons could be explained by two kinds of particles, called "up" and "down" rishons, which could combine to form the familiar nucleons.

3. Do rishons have any experimental evidence?

No, there is currently no experimental evidence for the existence of rishons. The idea is purely theoretical and has not been confirmed by any experiments or observations.

4. What is the significance of rishons in particle physics?

If rishons were to exist, it would provide a more fundamental understanding of the structure of matter and the forces that hold it together. It could also potentially explain the origin of mass and the symmetry between matter and antimatter.

5. Are there any alternative theories to rishons?

Yes, there are alternative theories that attempt to explain the substructure of protons and neutrons, such as the quark model and the string theory. These theories have been more widely accepted by the scientific community due to their consistency with experimental evidence.