Hi, the wikipedia article on fermium states that it is the last

In summary: Absorbtion of an alpha particle immediately changes the atom to another element since you are adding 2 protons.As to the why, I can't tell you. I'm not an expert on nuclear physics.Primarily because of the short half-lives. You need a target that will sit still long enough. And neutron bombardment followed by beta decay only takes you one step up, Z -> Z + 1. Using alpha particles instead will take you two steps, but more realistically it's better to use heavy ions. To make Nobelium they used 13C ions. Rutherfordium it was 22Ne, Seaborgium it was 18O, and so on. The highest element named so far, Copernicium (at no =
Jarwulf
Hi, the wikipedia article on fermium states that it is the last element that can be synthesized by neutron bombardment but decides not to explain why. Can anybody give a layman's explanation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Elements heavier than Uranium and Plutonium are created when neutrons are absorbed into the nucleus and then Beta Decay into a proton. This creates a new element since the number of protons differentiate the different elements. Past fermium, I'm guessing that the nucleus will no longer absorb a neutron and then beta decay. It most likely will fission or simply eject other particles as soon as the neutron is absorbed.

Drakkith said:
Elements heavier than Uranium and Plutonium are created when neutrons are absorbed into the nucleus and then Beta Decay into a proton. This creates a new element since the number of protons differentiate the different elements. Past fermium, I'm guessing that the nucleus will no longer absorb a neutron and then beta decay. It most likely will fission or simply eject other particles as soon as the neutron is absorbed.

Yeah but what is the reason behind that? And why would you be able to do it instead with something like an alpha particle?

Jarwulf said:
Yeah but what is the reason behind that? And why would you be able to do it instead with something like an alpha particle?

Absorbtion of an alpha particle immediately changes the atom to another element since you are adding 2 protons.

As to the why, I can't tell you. I'm not an expert on nuclear physics.

Primarily because of the short half-lives. You need a target that will sit still long enough. And neutron bombardment followed by beta decay only takes you one step up, Z -> Z + 1. Using alpha particles instead will take you two steps, but more realistically it's better to use heavy ions. To make Nobelium they used 13C ions. Rutherfordium it was 22Ne, Seaborgium it was 18O, and so on. The highest element named so far, Copernicium (at no = 112), was found using 70Zn on 208Pb.

Related to Hi, the wikipedia article on fermium states that it is the last

1. What is fermium?

Fermium is a synthetic element with the symbol Fm and atomic number 100. It was first discovered in 1952 by a team of scientists at the University of California, Berkeley.

2. How was fermium discovered?

Fermium was discovered by bombarding uranium-238 with neutrons in a nuclear reactor. The resulting material was then analyzed and the element was identified.

3. What are the properties of fermium?

Fermium is a radioactive metal that is silvery-white in appearance. It has a high melting point and is highly reactive, making it difficult to study in its pure form.

4. Why is fermium considered to be the last element?

Fermium is considered to be the last element because it is the highest numbered element on the periodic table that has been discovered and confirmed. However, scientists are constantly searching for new elements beyond fermium.

5. What are the potential uses of fermium?

Fermium is not used commercially due to its rarity and high radioactivity. However, it has been used in research and nuclear experiments, and it may have potential uses in nuclear power and medicine.