Hi, Momentum (Classical Physics) Help

In summary, the conversation discusses using a graph to determine the magnitude of impulse provided to a 48 g tennis ball that is swerved due south and the velocity of the ball when the racquet and ball separate. The relevant equations are p=mv and Fnet x delta Time = delta P, and the solution involves finding the area under the force-time graph.
Xtremeownage

Homework Statement

Using the graph below, what is the magnitude of the impulse provided to a 48 g tennis ball that is swerved due south?

246kgh2.png

Also, What is the velocity of the ball when the racquet and ball separate?

Homework Equations

p=mv (I think).

Fnet x delta Time = P (maybe)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused as to what am I supposed to do with the graph to get the answers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Xtremeownage! :smile:

Hint: impulse = ∫ force d(time) :wink:

Xtremeownage said:
p=mv (I think).
Come on, be confident, you are right
Xtremeownage said:
Fnet x delta Time = P (maybe)?

Fnet x delta Time = delta P

Have you done integration. If not then what tiny tim is saying is impulse = area under force-time graph

Related to Hi, Momentum (Classical Physics) Help

What is momentum in classical physics?

Momentum in classical physics is a measure of an object's motion. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity. In other words, it is the quantity of motion an object has.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula is p = m * v. The units of momentum are kg * m/s.

What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the total momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the event or interaction.

What are some real-life examples of momentum?

Some real-life examples of momentum include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a person running, a ball rolling down a hill, and a rocket launching into space.

How does momentum relate to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to the rate of change of momentum. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum. Additionally, the direction of the force and the direction of the change in momentum are the same.