Why Does the Moon Take 6 Hours to Pass Through the Earth's Penumbra?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the classmates are struggling with an astronomy homework question about the penumbra of the Earth's shadow and the time it takes for the Moon to pass through it. They initially thought the extra hour was due to the Earth's revolution around the Sun, but now realize that the Earth's rotation has already been factored in. Another theory is that the extra hour is due to the Moon traveling in an arc instead of a straight line. They also consider the diameter of the Moon and the additional time needed for entry and exit. With calculations, they determine that it takes about 5.73 hours for the Moon to pass through the penumbra.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is an astronomy homework question that my classmates and I are having an awful time with.

If the penumbra of the Earth’s shadow is 16,000 km across, and if the Moon moves 3400 km/hr with respect to the shadow, why does it take 6 hours instead of only 5 hours to get completely through the penumbra?

We first thought that the extra hour was due to the Earth's revolution around the Sun pushing the edge of the penumbra ahead so the moon would have to play "catch up" with that.
But now that I am re-reading the question, it says that the moon moves "with respect to" the shadow so I am thinking that the Earth's rotation has already been factored in.

The other theory is that the extra hour would be due to the moon traveling in an arc instead of a straight line through the penumbra, and that would account for the time delta.

Are either of these close? Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered how the diameter of the moon figures into this?

Not at all - but I think what you're saying is that one edge of the moon has to enter and the other edge has to completely pass through before the transit is complete? I guess the problem is we have been treating it like a speck starting on one edge and finishing at the other edge instead of calculating additional time for entry and exit.Which I think would be radius in and radius out - or a diameter's length of additional space to cross?

Originally posted by Math Is Hard
I guess the problem is we have been treating it like a speck starting on one edge and finishing at the other edge instead of calculating additional time for entry and exit.Which I think would be radius in and radius out - or a diameter's length of additional space to cross?

Yes, that's right. If you just use time = speed over length, then you can calculate the time for the leading edge of the Moon to go from one side of the penumbra to the other --- but then the trailing edge of the Moon still has to pass out of the penumbra as well.

Thank you both so much. Worked like a charm - I have about 5.73 hours for the moon to get in, get through, and get out.

What is the Earth's penumbra?

The Earth's penumbra is the outer part of the Earth's shadow, where only a portion of the Sun's light is blocked. It is the lighter part of the shadow compared to the umbra, which is the darker, central part of the shadow.

Why does the Moon take 6 hours to pass through the Earth's penumbra?

The Moon takes 6 hours to pass through the Earth's penumbra because of its orbital speed. The Moon orbits around the Earth at a speed of about 3,600 km/h, which is why it takes 6 hours to pass through the Earth's penumbra, which has a diameter of about 1,376,000 km.

Does the Moon always take 6 hours to pass through the Earth's penumbra?

No, the time it takes for the Moon to pass through the Earth's penumbra can vary. It depends on the position of the Moon in its orbit and the angle of the Earth's shadow. Sometimes it may take slightly longer or shorter than 6 hours.

What happens when the Moon passes through the Earth's penumbra?

When the Moon passes through the Earth's penumbra, it goes through a partial eclipse. This means that only a portion of the Moon's surface is covered by the Earth's shadow, resulting in a subtle darkening of the Moon's appearance.

Can the Moon pass through the Earth's penumbra more than once in a month?

Yes, the Moon can pass through the Earth's penumbra more than once in a month. This is because the Moon's orbit is tilted in relation to the Earth's orbit, so it can pass through the Earth's shadow multiple times in a month.