Greg Asks: Is CHESS On or Off?

• Thread starter Zantra
  • Start date
In summary, Gunbold Enkhtungalag from Mongolia is planning to have the competition brackets ready by January 2nd, and Greg Bernhardt from the United States is going to help him set up the forum. It's currently winter in the United States, where it's around 42 degrees Fahrenheit, and Zantra thinks it's around 35 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer.
Zantra
Just wondering if it's on or off...

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Mongolian Boy
Hi guys. My name is Gunbold Enkhtungalag. I am from Mongolia.

welcome!

I will have the brackets done and the forum setup for competition Januarary 2nd. Time to brush up on your chess skills!

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I will have the brackets done and the forum setup for competition Januarary 2nd. Time to brush up on your chess skills!

Can we break the chess table and trow the pieces out the window if we lose?

Is there some way we could have "prelim" sessions before then? They wouldn't count at all in the actual competition, but perhaps they could help us "brush up on our chess skills"...just a thought.

if you don't now about mongolia i can tell you

Let's start with the weather.

It's 42ºF wehere I'm at. No clouds though.:smile:

if you don't now about mongolia i can tell you

I'd love to hear about mongolia. you may want to post this in the generals forums to ge a wider audience.

I'm surprised a PC will operate at those temperatures! In michigan(USA) where I am from, winter averages from -10 to 20 and in summer, it ranges from 60 to 80. I can't imagine walking in -35 weather. I HOPE we're talking farenheit

You really think it's 35 fahrenheit in the summer, Zantra? Of course it has to be celsius. At least I think...

Yeah, Gunbold, you should take it to General Discussion if you're eager to share the details of Mongolia. I think it sounds interesting.

Isn't today the 5th? Did I miss it?

Never happened, right now I am really really busy with a lot of things that I barely have time to write this reply :frown:

Is this whole forum fake? Is it just some scam created by some computer genius hacker?

Last edited:
Originally posted by einsteinian77
Is this whole forum fake? Is it just some scam created by some computer genius hacker?

* You have entered the Matrix *

1. Is chess considered a sport or a game?

Chess is considered to be both a sport and a game. It requires physical and mental skills, making it a sport, but it is also a strategic and competitive board game.

2. What are the rules of chess?

The basic rules of chess involve two players taking turns moving their pieces on a checkered board with the goal of capturing the opponent's king. Each piece has its own unique movement abilities and there are certain special moves such as castling and en passant.

3. How do you win at chess?

To win at chess, you must put your opponent's king in "checkmate," meaning it is in a position where it cannot escape capture. This can be achieved by strategically using your pieces to attack and control the board.

4. How is chess beneficial to the brain?

Playing chess has been linked to various cognitive benefits such as improving problem-solving skills, enhancing memory, and increasing creativity. It also requires critical thinking and strategic planning, which can help improve overall brain function.

5. Can anyone learn to play chess?

Yes, anyone can learn to play chess. It may seem intimidating at first, but with practice and patience, anyone can become a proficient chess player. There are also many resources available, such as tutorials and online courses, to help beginners learn the game.