Why is there a double standard in dating based on skin color?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of physical attraction and the boundaries of skin color. The participants mention the trend of more Caucasian men wanting to date Asian women than Caucasian women wanting to date Asian men, as well as the prevalence of black man-white woman couples compared to black woman-white man couples. Possible reasons for this include cultural factors, such as pressure to marry within one's own ethnicity, and societal standards of beauty. The issue of penis size is also brought up, along with the idea that Asian men are seen as "nice guys" while some women prefer a more outspoken partner. Overall, the conversation highlights the complex and murky nature of dating and ethnicity.
eNtRopY
Let's talk about physical attraction... and the boundaries of skin color!

The other day, one of my Korean co-workers asked me, Why white man want to go out with Asian girl, but white girl no want to go out with Asian man? [sic]

Sidebar: Believe it or not this dude got a perfect score on the GRE verbal... yeah, there's nothing fishy going on there!

Anyway, I humored him and answered, Maybe it's because you Asian dudes are too polite and soft spoken for your own good!

Honestly, I'm not sure that that situation is entirely true, but let's face it, it really does seem as though there are more Caucasian men who want to date Asian women than there are Caucasian women who want to date Asian men. Also, there seem to be more black-man-white-woman couples than black-woman-white-man couples.

Personally, I never discriminate by ethnic background when it comes to chasing the girls, but I wonder if other people do?

Please, let me know your opinions on why you think these unbalanced scenarios exist. Also, let me know if you find yourself attracted to people of ethnic backgrounds different than your own.

Thanks.

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
i know of two couples that are white male and black female, and i myself (a white female) dated an asian man for a few months, AND know of another white gal who dates an asian man...perhaps it's the area you live in?

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, because I am not Asian myself, but I had a friend (white) who dated a Chinese guy for over a year. She was madly in love with him, but he had too much pressure on him to marry an Asian girl, that he dumped her. Maybe its a culture thing; Asian parents want their sons to be with Asian women. Does that sound accurate at all?

( I will avoid ranting about how Asian women are sexualized through stereotypes and exploitation...Just read a book about Thai prostitutes...)

^^^ Yeah, GG, I could tell a couple similar stories.

There are definitely lots of cultural factors at play... black male-white female marriages are 3 times as common than the reverse; and white male-Asian female 3 times as common as Asian male-white female.

I don't have an opinion on why this is, but there's a National Review article on it here: http://www.nationalreview.com/14july97/feature.html [Broken] . Usual warnings apply: very conservative perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
well dating and ethnicity is a murky issue.

really it depends on what ethnicities you are talking about.

with black-white relationships, i know that the historical reason is that black men wanted whie women as a trophy. either that or some sort of self hatred thing where they use the woman to try to be white.

sidebar: again those are the often heard reasons that have been given in the past to explain the phenomenon. I'm not trying to say that this is everyone's reason, ect ect

i don't really have any insight into asian dating. but really i think that a lot of this is about what the popluar idea of beauty is. certain groups are thought to be good looking in the US. and asian men are not so much as asian women are.

it's screwed up, I know.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about this thread. Anyway, after interviewing several girls, I found out the answer to our question.

Penis Size.

Girls are willing to go bigger but not smaller. So white girls will date black guys and Asian girls will date white guys but they won't go the other way.

eNtRopY

That's one reason. Also It's a truth that in the asian cultures, the men are well.. "Nice guys" and some asian women prefer a more "outspoken" guy.

Also another reason I think a lot of white guys prefer asians is a cultural one. Asian women are very 'traditional' in the sense of male/female relationships, and how they act towards the man. It's quite different than american women. A lot of american women are raised with the mindset that it's the man's duty to take care of them, and they don't owe anything in return. Please american women are gernally more outspoken then asian women. Of course, that's just my opinion based on my experiences.

1. Why is there a double standard in dating based on skin color?

The double standard in dating based on skin color is a result of systemic racism and discrimination. Historically, people of color have been oppressed and marginalized in society, leading to a societal belief in the superiority of white people. This belief has translated into the dating world, where white individuals are often seen as more desirable and romanticized, while people of color are often stereotyped and fetishized.

2. How does the media perpetuate this double standard?

The media plays a significant role in perpetuating the double standard in dating based on skin color. Through movies, TV shows, and other forms of media, white people are often portrayed as the standard of beauty and desirability, while people of color are relegated to secondary or stereotypical roles. This constant reinforcement of white as the ideal creates a subconscious bias in many people's minds.

3. Is the double standard in dating based on skin color a recent phenomenon?

No, the double standard in dating based on skin color has existed for centuries. The roots of this double standard can be traced back to colonialism and the transatlantic slave trade, where people of color were seen as inferior and were often used as objects for white people's pleasure. This mindset has continued to persist in various forms throughout history and still exists today.

4. What can be done to address and dismantle this double standard?

To address and dismantle this double standard in dating, society needs to confront and actively work to dismantle systemic racism and discrimination. This includes acknowledging and challenging our own biases, educating ourselves on the history of racism, and actively promoting diversity and inclusivity in all aspects of life, including dating and relationships.

5. How can individuals navigate and resist this double standard in their own dating lives?

Individuals can navigate and resist this double standard by being conscious of their own biases and actively working to challenge them. This can include expanding one's dating preferences, supporting and uplifting people of color, and challenging societal norms and beauty standards. It is also essential to have open and honest conversations about race and dating with partners to ensure mutual respect and understanding.