Suggestions for Science Colleges for Physics Major

• Thread starter sarujin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: I'm going to have to disagree with you about Tucson being crappy. I love it here! And the astronomy program at UofA is top-notch.In summary, the conversation is about a high school junior seeking advice on colleges with good physics or science programs. Suggestions are given for schools in Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Arizona, and the Dakotas, with emphasis on the need to choose a school that fits the individual's goals and preferences. Additional input is provided about specific schools, including ASU and UofA in Arizona.
sarujin
Long time reader here! I am really interested in Physics and plan to study and major in it in some sort in college. I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for medium to large sized colleges that have good professors or studies in the field of physics or the sciences. I am not looking for an overachieving sort of school, just any college you have heard good things about or you have been to personally.

Any insight or opinions really help!

Thanks,
Lost Junior in Highschool

Physics news on Phys.org
Pardner, I'm a bit shocked...asking such a thing, you, a fellow Texan...right here in Texas you have your choice of the finest mediocre schools in the entire Universe...

Kidding aside, realize that your undergrad choice will probably not be your graduate choice. That's usually frowned upon.

Where do you want to go to college as an undergrad? Are you short on cash? Able to get aid? That's important, too.

Consider Rice. Big name, sets you up for grad school beautifully. But you'd need nerves of steel.

Don't sneer at Texas Tech. You wouldn't believe the work going on there. Of course, UT, snotty, but most question whether it's really all that good. I feel they are not good to their undergrads.

A&M, people laugh, but they are ignorant. You can get an excellent education at A&M. A few nice private Christian schools around, including one especially for engineering/science, but don't know if you walk that way.

Affordable and capable of giving you the best education in the world, if you fight for it (because you'd be a Fightin' Tiger), but capable of distracting you mightily, is LSU. My alma mater, B.S. Chemistry. Many, many Texans going there. Any of the LSU system schools are a good bet.

On the other side, NMSU is making mighty strides. Physics department trying to build itself up...lots of opportunity...not a giant school; that can be important. UNM also a possibility, I'd say NMSU would actually set you up a bit better.

Go over another state, you have U of Arizona. Go Wildcats. One of my ex's got his PhD in physics there. Most excellent school, stay away from the thin films guys, though, real morons, trash their grad students. Be aware that the Optical Sciences guys are despised by the Physics guys. But, the place is pretty good.

Go over some more, and up a bit, consider any of the Oregon state schools. Have lots of flexibility if you wish to transfer from one to another, that can be helpful. One of my ex's was a math prof at Salem.

The state universities in the Dakotas are good, too, know a prof at USD, speaks highly of how they treat the students.

In fact, you can get a good start (and finish) just about at any school. You probably want to get away from home a bit, so think about NM and Louisiana. Do you have a plan for the future? Not that plans get executed, of course, but it's nice to feel you have a life-map, so God can have a good laugh now and then...let me just give you some advice to be practical-minded, to understand that no one is carrying YOUR map, that you don't need to show your map to anyone, that you trust your own judgement about what you want, and that you never, ever end up putting YOUR map aside and helping someone else carry THEIR map, unless you are absolutely sure you have been called upon to do such a thing.

I know you're really young, but you are already going to meet people who don't understand they have THEIR life and that you are busy trying to live YOURS. Kid, don't let them get ahold of yours...GOOD LUCK.

Hopefully someone else will answer you, too.

woot thanks

Wow, thanks Holly

Well, upon reflection, I think I ought to take LSU-BR off the list of good places to go, unless you have a really, really high tolerance for unfairness at a university. There's so much hysterical emphasis on being Confederates, on Greeks, on the football team, and there's racism on campus really bad. USL over in Lafayette is more moderate in stance, probably because it's smaller.

You might want to PM someone like cookiemonster and see what he thinks about good science universities. He's either in high school or at ASU in Arizona...he may have heard some things about various places and could give some advice.
:biggrin:

ASU hands out B.S.'s in Self-intoxication Sciences with B.A.'s in Foam Party Mismanagement.

Actually, if you're a serious student, it's a fair school, but nothing special. UofA really is superior, but you'd have to live in Tucson (which is kind of like living in Phoenix, i.e. crappy).

ASU is better for business and training teachers, whereas UofA is better for the maths and sciences. The exception being material sciences (do you like shooting alpha particles at little wafers of random materials?) and astronomy (do you like staring at little specks of light?).

Honestly, I really don't think I'd go to ASU.

And whatever you do, don't go to NAU unless you plan on being a skiing instructor.

cookiemonster

What is the best science college for a physics major?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively because the best science college for a physics major will depend on individual preferences and priorities. Some top institutions for physics majors include the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, and Stanford University. It is important to research and compare different schools to find the best fit for your academic and career goals.

What factors should I consider when choosing a science college for a physics major?

Some important factors to consider include the reputation and rankings of the institution, the strength and expertise of the physics department, research opportunities and facilities, internship and job placement opportunities, and the overall academic and social environment of the college. It is also important to consider the location, cost, and financial aid options.

Is it important to attend a highly ranked science college for a physics major?

Attending a highly ranked science college can provide many benefits, such as access to top-notch resources and opportunities, a strong network of alumni and connections, and a competitive edge in the job market. However, it is not the only factor to consider and a lower ranked institution may still provide a great education and opportunities for success. Ultimately, the most important factor is finding a college that fits your individual needs and goals.

Are there any specific programs or concentrations to look for in a science college for a physics major?

Many science colleges offer specialized programs or concentrations within the physics major, such as astrophysics, biophysics, or engineering physics. It is important to research the different programs and determine which aligns with your interests and career goals. It may also be beneficial to choose a program that offers opportunities for research or internships in your chosen field.

What can I do to stand out as a physics major in the college application process?

To stand out as a physics major in the college application process, you should focus on excelling in your coursework and participating in extracurricular activities that demonstrate your interest and skills in physics. This can include participating in science fairs, conducting research, joining physics clubs or organizations, and taking advanced math and science courses. It is also important to highlight any relevant experiences or accomplishments in your application essays and letters of recommendation.