Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hi everyone!

Raisa

Feb 18, 2017
Hi guys,

Thanks for allowing me to join this platform! My name is Raisa, I am a masters student in Mechanical Engineering and I have to say, it is really all about math... Sometimes I get stuck so I'm thrilled to be a part of this!

Have a nice day!

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Hi guys,

Thanks for allowing me to join this platform! My name is Raisa, I am a masters student in Mechanical Engineering and I have to say, it is really all about math... Sometimes I get stuck so I'm thrilled to be a part of this!

Have a nice day!
Hey Raisa! I am currently a PhD student in mathematics, but I was also a mechanical engineering undergrad before I switched to math. I would say that most of the math you would see in your engineering curriculum is either not really math or will not be done like math should be done.

Having said that, in my opinion, learning math is always helpful in engineering, and one can find pleasure and meaning in learning math for its own sake. If you need any guidance as to how to go about reading and where to start etc, I and other MHB members are always there. So feel free to post here and use the forum to the fullest!

-Caffeinemachine.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello and welcome to MHB, Raisa ! (Wave)

Raisa

Feb 18, 2017
Hey Raisa! I am currently a PhD student in mathematics, but I was also a mechanical engineering undergrad before I switched to math. I would say that most of the math you would see in your engineering curriculum is either not really math or will not be done like math should be done.

Having said that, in my opinion, learning math is always helpful in engineering, and one can find pleasure and meaning in learning math for its own sake. If you need any guidance as to how to go about reading and where to start etc, I and other MHB members are always there. So feel free to post here and use the forum to the fullest!

-Caffeinemachine.

Hi there! It's really cool that you decided to study mathematics. Really, that takes some nerve, haha. I am in my first year and I am stunned by the amount of mathematics that is required here. All my courses pretty much revolve around partial differential equations and most of the time I do not have the level of required knowledge. I use a lot of books but it really takes time to do research. Sometimes it is just easier to ask someone who has knowledge about a certain topic for tips, which is why I joined this platform! In fact, yesterday I was really at my wits end with a fluid mechanics assignment and decided to just ask for help on forums. Thanks for the encouragement!!