Hi colleages. is Bernoulli-Euler theory valid in the dynamic analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of the Bernoulli-Euler theory in dynamic analysis, specifically in the equation M(x,t)/EI=1/R. It is noted that this equation resembles a beam equation, with M representing moment, E representing stiffness, and I representing geometry. The question is raised whether this equation is still valid if M varies not only along the length of the beam (x) but also with time (t). It is suggested that if the curvature response (R) is instantaneous, the equation is still valid, but in the real world there may be a time delay between applying forces and the beam's response. The conversation ends with the acknowledgment that this is a complex topic and further analysis is needed.
omarxx84
hi colleages. is Bernoulli-Euler theory valid in the dynamic analysis as following:
M/EI=1/R
where,
M= moment
EI=stiffness
R= curvature
is this equation valid when M becomes a function of x and t, as follows:
M(x,t)/EI=1/R

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dynamics and I never really got along that well, but what you present looks a lot like a beam equation, the deflection (curvature) of a beam as a function of the local bending moment (M), material stiffness (E) and geometry (I), and that is simple enough for me to take a stab at this.

So you are asking if the equation is valid where M varies not just along the length of the beam (x) but while M varies with time (t), is that right?

First, I would say that the curvature must also be expressed as a function of x and t.

Now, if the curvature response (R) to the input M is instantaneous, the answer would be yes, and rather than a dynamics problem, you have an equation expressing the static condition at any given moment in time. A series of static moments as it were.

But I think you are correct to characterize this as a dynamics problem. In the real world I have to think there is a time delay between applying the forces that give rise to the moment and the response of the beam.

At this point in the analysis my head explodes. You will have to take it from there, FWIW.

hth

Related to Hi colleages. is Bernoulli-Euler theory valid in the dynamic analysis

1. Is Bernoulli-Euler theory applicable in all types of dynamic analysis?

No, Bernoulli-Euler theory is not valid in all types of dynamic analysis. It is only applicable in certain types of problems, such as those involving small deflections and linear elastic materials.

2. What are the limitations of the Bernoulli-Euler theory in dynamic analysis?

The Bernoulli-Euler theory is limited in its ability to accurately predict the behavior of structures under large deflections, non-linear material behavior, and dynamic loading conditions. It also does not account for shear deformation and transverse normal stresses.

3. Can Bernoulli-Euler theory be used for dynamic analysis of structures with varying cross-sections?

Yes, Bernoulli-Euler theory can be used for structures with varying cross-sections as long as the assumptions of the theory are met, such as small deflections and linear elastic material behavior.

4. Is there a more accurate theory for dynamic analysis than Bernoulli-Euler theory?

Yes, there are other theories that can provide more accurate results in dynamic analysis, such as the Timoshenko beam theory which takes into account shear deformation and the effects of transverse normal stresses.

5. What are the applications of Bernoulli-Euler theory in dynamic analysis?

Bernoulli-Euler theory is commonly used in the analysis of beams, frames, and other slender structures under dynamic loading conditions. It is also used in the design of structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft wings.