Superconductors and Conductors: Connections and Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection and potential problems between a superconductor and a "normal" conductor in an electric circuit. It is noted that the superconductor is just another conductor with very low resistance, so there should be no special problems. The conversation also touches on the use of a voltage source and switch in a circuit, as well as the possibility of creating a power source with no internal resistance using a superconductor. Additional information and links are requested for further understanding.
drag
Science Advisor
Greetings !

I was wondering how (or if) a superconducor can be
connected to a "normal" conductor in an electric
circuit ? I guess the conductor-superconductor connection
is easy, but how do you avoid problems at the reverse
connection - do you need some amplifier or something.

Also, what would happen if the current was generated in the
superconductor, and no enitial voltage is applied to the conductor ?

Thanks ! :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
The superconductor is just another conductor, it just happens to have very low resistance.

So there're no special problems - space charges/overheating
in the connections (beyond the standard) ?

Thanks.

drag,
The last site that you linked for me had a little discussion about that. Maybe you're looking for more detail. It spoke of the internal resistance of the voltage source and a switch that could be closed that would have a slight resistance. I can't remember what that link was off the top of my head.

Here it is:
http://www.americanmagnetics.com/tutorial/basics.html

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks, I read that, I just wanted a bit more info -
if anyone got some good links or something on actual circuits.

Also, I should've said that first too - I was wondering if it's
possible to make a power source with no internal
resistence by using a superconductor ?

Thanks. :smile:

Last edited:

What is the difference between a superconductor and a conductor?

A superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance, while a conductor has some resistance to the flow of electricity.

How do superconductors achieve zero resistance?

Superconductors have a unique property called superconductivity, which is the ability to conduct electricity without resistance when they are cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature.

What are the benefits of using superconductors over conductors?

The main benefit of using superconductors over conductors is the zero resistance property, which allows for more efficient and faster transmission of electricity. This can lead to cost savings and improved performance in electrical devices and systems.

Are there any disadvantages to using superconductors?

One major disadvantage of superconductors is the need for extremely low temperatures to maintain their superconducting state. This requires expensive and complex cooling systems, making them less practical for everyday use.

What are some applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have a wide range of applications, including in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines, particle accelerators, and high-speed trains. They also have potential uses in energy storage, power generation, and quantum computing.