Hi all,I am reading a paper related to astrophysics and I am stuck

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem involving inserting a trigonometric identity or performing a Taylor expansion, but is stuck. He gets stuck with an equation involving cos(\psi), and finds the solution by expanding the denominator and keeping the first term.
llama123
Hi all,

I am reading a paper related to astrophysics and I am stuck in a step in a calculation. It is about orbiting gas in a spiral galaxy and it calculates the errors in the fitted rotation velocity if one of the viewing angles is incorrectly estimated. My problem is that I don't understand one of the steps which has to do with either inserting a trigonometric identity or performing a Taylor expansion. The following equations are given:
[itex] x' = \hat{R} \cos(\hat{\psi})[/itex], [itex] y' = (q+\delta q) \hat{R} \sin(\hat{\psi})[/itex] as well as: [itex] \cos(\psi) =\frac{x'}{\sqrt{x'^2 + y'^2/q^2}}[/itex]

Combining these, one should arrive at the following:

[itex]\cos(\psi) = (1-\frac{\delta q}{4q}) \cos(\hat{\psi})+\frac{\delta q}{4q} \cos(3 \hat{\psi})[\itex]

I tried inserting the expressions for x' and y' into the equation for psi and then tried to apply some trigonometric identities but with no luck. In the paper it doesn't say that it is a Taylor approximation, but I can't really exclude this. I get stuck with the following expression:
[itex]\cos(\psi) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{\delta q}{q} \tan(\hat{\psi}))^2}}[\itex]

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org

Fix the latex expressions.

Sorry for the mistake, now it should be OK.

Hi all,

I am reading a paper related to astrophysics and I am stuck in a step in a calculation. It is about orbiting gas in a spiral galaxy and it calculates the errors in the fitted rotation velocity if one of the viewing angles is incorrectly estimated. My problem is that I don't understand one of the steps which has to do with either inserting a trigonometric identity or performing a Taylor expansion. The following equations are given:
[itex]x′=\hat{R} \cos(\hat{\psi})[/itex], [itex]y′=(q+\delta q) \hat{R} \sin(\hat{\psi}) [/itex] as well as: [itex]\cos(\psi)=\frac{x'}{\sqrt{x′^2+y′^2/q^2}} [/itex]

Combining these, one should arrive at the following:

[itex]cos(\psi) = (1-\frac{\delta q}{4q}) \cos(\hat{\psi})+\frac{\delta q}{4q} \cos(3 \hat{\psi})[/itex]

I tried inserting the expressions for x' and y' into the equation for psi and then tried to apply some trigonometric identities but with no luck. In the paper it doesn't say that it is a Taylor approximation, but I can't really exclude this. I get stuck with the following expression:
[itex]\cos(\psi) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{\delta q}{q} \tan(\hat{\psi}))^2}}[/itex]

Thanks very much!

I get for the coefficient of tan to be 1 + δq/q not δq/q.

Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right, excuse me for the error, it was a mistake in copying it from my notes. So now the problem is how to go from this:

[itex]\cos(\psi) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{q + \delta q}{q} \tan(\hat{\psi}))^2}}[/itex]

To the result:

[itex]\cos(\psi) = (1-\frac{\delta q}{4q}) \cos(\hat{\psi})+\frac{\delta q}{4q} \cos(3 \hat{\psi})[/itex]

My colleague believed that it could be that there is information missing to solve this and that the information is located somewhere in the rest of the text. However, it is a calculation in the appendix and it explicitly says that from x', y', cos([itex]\psi[/itex])=... follows this result...so I believe there is no information missing.

[I haven't got the hang of latex, so I'll omit the angle on the right side]

It looks like an expansion in first order in δq/q. The expression under the square root is then:

1 + (1 + 2 δq/q) tan2 = {1 + 2 δq/q sin2}/cos2

Multiply numerator and denominator by cos and get:

cos/(1 + 2 δq/q sin2)1/2

Expand (binomial) the denominator and keep the first term and get:

cos{1 - δq/q(1- cos2)}

This is fairly close to what you have. I suggest you work on it to fill in the details.

Wonderful! Many thanks!
It works perfectly, all I needed to use was:
[itex] \cos^3(\phi) = (3\cos(\phi)+\cos(3\phi))/4 [/itex] to finish the job.
Thanks again.

Related to Hi all,I am reading a paper related to astrophysics and I am stuck

1. What is the main objective of the paper?

The main objective of the paper is to investigate a specific topic or phenomenon related to astrophysics and present new findings or insights.

2. What are the key theories or models used in the paper?

The paper may use a combination of established theories and models in astrophysics, such as general relativity, quantum mechanics, or Newton's laws of motion. It may also propose new theories or models based on the findings of the study.

3. What methods were used in the study?

The paper may use various methods such as observations, experiments, simulations, or mathematical calculations to gather data and analyze the phenomenon being studied.

4. What are the main conclusions of the paper?

The paper will present the main conclusions drawn from the findings of the study. This could include new insights into the topic, confirmation or refutation of existing theories, or suggestions for further research.

5. How does this paper contribute to the field of astrophysics?

The paper may contribute to the field of astrophysics by adding new knowledge or understanding to a specific topic, proposing new theories or models, or providing evidence for or against existing theories. It may also have practical implications for future research or applications in the field.