Hhow an NPN transistor can be used as a small signal amplifier?

In summary, the conversation was about a college course question regarding the use of an NPN transistor as a small signal amplifier and the construction of a 4-input AND circuit using three 2-input AND gates. The conversation also discussed the rules for providing help and the use of a truth table to understand the logic of the circuit.
BoroBoy
Hi,

Could someone please help me with something i need to know to complete my college course?

The question says:

'Show with the aid of a circuit diagram and input/output waveforms how and NPN transistor can be used as a small signal amplifier, when operating in a common emitter configuration (a simple common emitter amplifier)'

I haven't the foggiest what this means and i have no way of asking my tutor. Anyone know anything about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Homework Help forums.

Welcome to the PF, BoroBoy. What learning resources do you have? Surely you have a textbook? If not, there is always the web...here's wikipedia.org's entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_emitter_amplifier

And if you do a google search on common emitter amplifier tutorial, you will get lots of helpful hits. Why don't you try reading those resources a bit, and then feel free to post specific questions if any result from the reading.

Cheers, got that one sorted now. Now i need help with another, it's a fairly straightforward question to understand what its asking for:

'Show, using a circuit diagram how a 4-input AND circuit may be constructed using three 2-input AND gates. Your diagram should identify the intergrated circuit used and the pin connections.'

calimechengr said:
Simple! AND two 2-input AND gates with one 2-input AND gate. 2+1=3.

read the rules.

calimechengr said:
This fully explains my first response. I hope it helps.

You have four inputs a,b,c,d.
Run a and b in one AND gate. And get output m.
Run c and d in another AND gate. And get output n.
Run m and n in a third AND gate, and you have your final output z

now you did stuff that are MORE against the rules. the guy who asks MUST show attempt to solution before help is given. And never should whole solutions be given.

And use edit button if if you want to add more in posts...

Anyone got any help?

Not sure what the above is suppose to be going on about:confused:

BoroBoy said:
Anyone got any help?

Not sure what the above is suppose to be going on about:confused:

The rules are that you first show work done, and that you have attempted to get a solution etc. The template must be used. And you are not allowed to post the answer and so on if the questioner has not shown work done.

I understand the logic table of an AND logic gate:

0+0 = output 0
0+1 = output 0
1+0 = output 0
1+1 = output 1

But what i don't understand is how i am supposed to draw the diagram as i don't understand what its asking me to draw.

BoroBoy said:
Cheers, got that one sorted now. Now i need help with another, it's a fairly straightforward question to understand what its asking for:

'Show, using a circuit diagram how a 4-input AND circuit may be constructed using three 2-input AND gates. Your diagram should identify the intergrated circuit used and the pin connections.'

Draw a 4-input AND gate. It has 4 inputs and one output, right? And the truth table for the 4-input AND gate is basically like what you have written -- all the inputs must be 1 in order for the output to be a 1, right?

Now draw the three 2-input AND gates, placed in a vertical line so the inputs are all on the left, and the 3 outputs are on the right. Do you see how the top two 2-input NANDs look sort of like a 4-intput AND, but they have a total of 2 outputs intead of 1? Can you think of a way to use the bottom AND to combine those outputs somehow? Work out the truth tables for different ways of combining the gates, to see if you can match the truth table for the 4-input AND gate.

Cheers for that, big help :)

Related to Hhow an NPN transistor can be used as a small signal amplifier?

1. How does an NPN transistor work?

An NPN (negative-positive-negative) transistor consists of three layers of semiconductor material, with a layer of positively charged material sandwiched between two layers of negatively charged material. When a small current is applied to the base layer, it allows a larger current to flow from the collector to the emitter, amplifying the signal.

2. What is the purpose of using an NPN transistor as a small signal amplifier?

The NPN transistor is commonly used as a small signal amplifier in electronic circuits because it can effectively amplify low-power signals without introducing significant noise or distortion. This makes it useful for a wide range of applications, from audio amplifiers to communication systems.

3. How does the gain of an NPN transistor affect its performance as an amplifier?

The gain of an NPN transistor refers to the amplification factor of the input signal. The higher the gain, the more the transistor amplifies the input signal. A higher gain is desirable for a small signal amplifier, as it allows for a larger output signal compared to the input signal.

4. What are some common configurations for using an NPN transistor as a small signal amplifier?

The most common configurations for using an NPN transistor as a small signal amplifier are common emitter, common collector, and common base. Each configuration has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific application and desired performance.

5. What are the limitations of using an NPN transistor as a small signal amplifier?

One limitation of using an NPN transistor as a small signal amplifier is that it has a limited frequency response, meaning it cannot effectively amplify signals at very high frequencies. Additionally, the transistor may become overheated and damaged if the input signal is too large, so proper circuit design and heat management are important considerations.