Hey where do i begin with this complex polynomial question?

In summary: I'm lost here.The problem is that you're trying to do too much at once. You should focus on one specific issue at a time.
ivan_x3000

Homework Statement

Let f(x), g(x), and h(x) be polynomials in x with real coefficients. Show that if (f(x))^2 −x(g(x))^2 =x(h(x))^2,

then f(x) = g(x) = h(x) = 0. Find an example where this is not the case when we use polynomials with complex coefficients.

i have no idea where to start here

Homework Equations

long division
euclid's algorithm
alpha, beta, gama roots
complex form

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start here

Physics news on Phys.org
ivan_x3000 said:

Homework Statement

Let f(x), g(x), and h(x) be polynomials in x with real coefficients. Show that if (f(x))^2 −x(g(x))^2 =x(h(x))^2,

then f(x) = g(x) = h(x) = 0. Find an example where this is not the case when we use polynomials with complex coefficients.

i have no idea where to start here

Homework Equations

long division
euclid's algorithm
alpha, beta, gama roots
complex form

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start here

For real polynomials, ##g(x)^2## and ##h(x)^2## are polynomials of even degree and with leading coefficients > 0, so this is true of ##g(x)^2 + h(x)^2## as well. The polynomial ##x g(x)^2 + x h(x)^2 = x [(g(x)^2 + (h(x)^2]## has odd degree with a positive leading coefficient, so cannot be equal to the even-degree polynomial ##f(x)^2##.

See if you can spot the place or places where the assumption of real coefficients was used.

Likes 1 person
Maybe start by comparing the degrees of ##(f(x))^2##, ##x(g(x))^2##, and ##x(h(x))^2##.

[edit] Ray beat me to it. :smile:

jbunniii said:
Maybe start by comparing the degrees of ##(f(x))^2##, ##x(g(x))^2##, and ##x(h(x))^2##.

[edit] Ray beat me to it. :smile:

Your response is better: it does not give away as much as mine. I overdid it there; sorry!

wait if i said the polynomial was x

x^2 -x^3 = x^3
they have the same degree but they are not equal, really confused by this whole complex number thing

what does f(x)=g(x)=h(x)=0 entail?

So...
f(x)^2 = x(g(x)^2+h(x)^2)
disproves the equation because the degree of lhs has to be even and the degree of rhs has to be odd

So the only way the assumption would be true is if it were all equal to zero oh ok

ivan_x3000 said:

x^2 -x^3 = x^3
they have the same degree but they are not equal, really confused by this whole complex number thing
Yes, that's the point. The goal is to show that with real coefficients, you only get equality if ##f##, ##g##, and ##h## are all identically zero. Your example is consistent with this.

So...
disproves the equation because the degree of lhs has to be even and the degree of rhs has to be odd

So the only way the assumption would be true is if it were all equal to zero oh ok
Yes, that's right. But be sure to write out the details, because this is false if the coefficients are allowed to be complex: in that case, you can get equality even if the polynomials are not all zero.

But if i say... they all equal to (1+i)

(1+i)^2 + x(1+i)^2 = x(1+i)^2

how do i deal with the x's

ivan_x3000 said:

x^2 -x^3 = x^3

what does f(x)=g(x)=h(x)=0 entail?

So...

Polynomials having the same degree may be (identically) equal or unequal; your illustration above is for the unequal case.

Polynomials that are equal must have the same degree; in other words, if the degrees are different the polynomials cannot be (identically) equal.

ivan_x3000 said:
But if i say... they all equal to (1+i)

(1+i)^2 + x(1+i)^2 = x(1+i)^2

how do i deal with the x's
No, that example doesn't work. Try choosing ##g(x)## and ##h(x)## so that the leading coefficients of ##x(g(x))^2## and ##x(h(x))^2## cancel each other out (one is the negative of the other).

how about x=i, f(x)=1+i, g(x)=1+i, h(x)=1-i

(1+i)^2 + x(1+i)^2 = = x(1-i)^2
(1+i)^2 = (1+i+1-i)(1^2-i+i^2)
2i = x(2i) which if x=1 then it's true?

Misunderstood the question!

HallsofIvy said:
Misunderstood the question!

Wait how come? I'm trying to do the part where i have to show how the assumption is through for polynomials in the complex plane

ivan_x3000 said:
how about x=i, f(x)=1+i, g(x)=1+i, h(x)=1-i
If you are trying to show equality of polynomials, you don't pick a value for ##x##. The equality has to be true for all values of ##x##.

Related to Hey where do i begin with this complex polynomial question?

1. What is a complex polynomial?

A complex polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of one or more variables raised to non-negative integer powers, along with complex coefficients. It can be written in the form of P(z) = anzn + an-1zn-1 + ... + a1z + a0, where a is a complex number and n is a positive integer.

2. How do I begin solving a complex polynomial question?

The first step is to identify the degree of the polynomial, which is the highest power of the variable in the expression. Then, you can use various methods such as factoring, long division, or synthetic division to simplify the polynomial and find its roots.

3. What are the roots of a complex polynomial?

The roots of a complex polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. They can be real or complex numbers, depending on the coefficients and powers of the polynomial.

4. How do I know if a complex polynomial has complex roots?

A complex polynomial will have complex roots if it has at least one term with an odd power, or if it has complex coefficients. You can also use the discriminant, which is b2 - 4ac, to determine if the roots are real or complex. If the discriminant is negative, the roots will be complex.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve complex polynomial equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the roots of a complex polynomial. However, it is important to know how to manually solve these equations in case you encounter more complex problems that cannot be easily solved with a calculator.