Calculus help another one

• Thread starter gigi9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
The correct answer is:∫ dx / (1 - x^2) = 1/2 ln |(1 + x) / (1 - x)| + CIn summary, the correct answer to the problem is 1/2 ln |(1 + x) / (1 - x)| + C.
gigi9
Calculus help please! another one

Can someone please show me how to show that this problem below is CORRECT? Thanks a lot.
Integral of dx/(1-x^2) = x/(1-x)

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the substitution x=sinu.

Hello, gigi9!

The answer is not correct . . .

Originally posted by gigi9
Can someone please show me how to show that this problem below is CORRECT?
We can use Partial Fractions: 1/(1 - x^2) = A/(1 - x) + B/(1 + x)
and find that: A = 1/2, B = -1/2.

The answer will be: (1/2) ln|(1 - x)/(1 + x)| + C

Can someone please show me how to show that this problem below is CORRECT? Thanks a lot.

The easiest way to check if an integral is correct is to invert the operation and differentiate.

Via the fundamental theorem of calculus, if

∫ dx / (1 - x^2) = x / (1 - x)

then

1 / (1 - x^2) = (d/dx) (x / (1 - x))

So if we actually perform the differentiation, we get:

1 / (1 - x^2) = 1 / (1 - x)^2

Because this equation is false, the original problem (as you've written it) must be false as well.

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation of quantities. It is used to model and analyze dynamic systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus helps us understand and solve problems involving change and motion. It is also a fundamental tool in many scientific and engineering fields, allowing us to make predictions and optimize processes.

3. What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the rates of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

4. How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus is used in many real-life scenarios, such as predicting population growth, analyzing stock market trends, designing bridges and buildings, and optimizing manufacturing processes. It is also used in fields like medicine and economics to model and understand complex systems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and to familiarize yourself with the different concepts and techniques. You can also seek out online resources, attend study groups or seek help from a tutor or teacher.