Hey, bring your laptop, use maple

In summary: This is from my linear algebra professor. "You can use anything you want on the exams for my class, with the exception of cellular phones. However, you will probably find that your electronics will not be of use."
ArcanaNoir
This is the first time I've ever heard these words from a professor:

"Hey, bring your laptop! (To the tests) Use maple/mathmatica/excel! That's what it's for!"

This is from my probability professor. *glee* My calculator actually performs all the necessary functions, with convenient menu buttons. Yay! This isn't really my intended future field anyway. I just got stuck with this class due to scheduling limitations.

Physics news on Phys.org
That probably means that he'll ask questions where the laptop is useless... :frown:

I didn't get that impression. He just seems easy. He also hand-writes all the notes and posts them online for us to print out.

ArcanaNoir said:
I didn't get that impression. He just seems easy. He also hand-writes all the notes and posts them online for us to print out.

Is it a very applied probability course for science , finance, etc majors or a probability theory for math majors course?
It makes sense to make students in the first category learn to use all the tools they can possibly have at their disposal.

We're definitely not learning probability theory. Now that would be more my area of interest. It is part of the math major courses, but I think it is also shared by the statistics major.

micromass said:
That probably means that he'll ask questions where the laptop is useless... :frown:

This is what my linear algebra professor told us this semester.

[Heavy Turkish Accent] "You can use anything you want on the exams for my class, with the exception of cellular phones. However, you will probably find that your electronics will not be of use." [/Heavy Turkish Accent]

Dembadon said:
This is what my linear algebra professor told us this semester.

[Heavy Turkish Accent] "You can use anything you want on the exams for my class, with the exception of cellular phones. However, you will probably find that your electronics will not be of use." [/Heavy Turkish Accent]

Scary :eek:

"Prof. Vanadium, can we use a calculator?"
"Yes, but it will only be useful as a straightedge".

Vanadium 50 said:
:smile:

Vanadium 50 said:

lol!

Related to Hey, bring your laptop, use maple

What is Maple and why should I use it for my laptop?

Maple is a mathematical software program that allows you to solve complex mathematical problems, visualize data, and create interactive documents. It is useful for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians who need advanced mathematical capabilities on their laptop.

How do I install Maple on my laptop?

You can easily install Maple on your laptop by purchasing and downloading the software from the Maple website. Follow the instructions provided to complete the installation process.

Can I use Maple on any type of laptop?

Yes, Maple is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. It also has versions for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Make sure to check the system requirements before installing Maple to ensure compatibility.

Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to use Maple?

No, Maple has a user-friendly interface and provides various tools and tutorials to help users of all levels. However, a basic understanding of mathematics and computer programming can be helpful in utilizing all of Maple's features.

Are there any additional costs for using Maple on my laptop?

Maple requires a one-time purchase, and there are no additional costs for using it on your laptop. However, if you wish to upgrade to newer versions or add-ons, there may be additional fees.