Heuristic Evaluation of Stress-Energy Tensor

In summary, the author wonders if he is being careful enough in his approach to a problem in general relativity. He solves the problem by observing that momentum flux is equal to energy flux, and energy density is equal to momentum flux.
Itserpol
I've been reading through Schutz's A First Course in General Relativity, and my solution to a particular problem has got me wondering if I'm being careful enough in my approach. The problem states:

Show that, in the rest frame ##\mathcal{O}## of a star of constant luminosity ##L## (total energy radiated per second), the stress-energy tensor of the radiation from the star at the event ##(t,x,0,0)## has components ##T^{00}=T^{0x}=T^{x0}=T^{xx}=L/(4\pi x^2)##. The star sits at the origin.​

Starting with the ##T^{0x}## term, I know that it is the flux of 0-momentum (energy) across a surface of constant ##x##. Since the luminosity is the total power output of the star and the photons all move radially away from the source, I need simply divide ##L## by the surface area of a sphere of radius ##x##, and I obtain the desired quantity. And because ##T## is symmetric, I get ##T^{x0}## as well for free. For the ##T^{xx}## term, I know that the momentum of a photon is ##h\nu## (assuming units such that ##c=1##) which is the same as the photon's energy, so the momentum flux should be identical to the energy flux. Finally, for the ##T^{00}## term (energy flux across a surface of constant ##t##, i.e. energy density), I use the fact that for a photon, ##\Delta t=\Delta x##. So rather than dividing the total energy by some volume ##\Delta x\Delta y\Delta z##, I can use ##\Delta t\Delta y\Delta z## and I again obtain luminosity over the area of a sphere.

So, although I got the correct result, I wonder if I've been too "hand-wavey" about it. It's been a few years since I finished my undergrad, and I've lost some confidence in my ability to heuristically solve problems. Any comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Itserpol said:
Starting with the ##T^{0x}## term, I know that it is the flux of 0-momentum (energy) across a surface of constant ##x##. Since the luminosity is the total power output of the star and the photons all move radially away from the source, I need simply divide ##L## by the surface area of a sphere of radius ##x##, and I obtain the desired quantity. And because ##T## is symmetric, I get ##T^{x0}## as well for free.

All correct.

Itserpol said:
For the ##T^{xx}## term, I know that the momentum of a photon is ##h\nu## (assuming units such that ##c=1##) which is the same as the photon's energy, so the momentum flux should be identical to the energy flux.

Yes; the more usual term here is "pressure" instead of "momentum flux", but your reasoning is correct.

Itserpol said:
Finally, for the ##T^{00}## term (energy flux across a surface of constant ##t##, i.e. energy density), I use the fact that for a photon, ##\Delta t=\Delta x##. So rather than dividing the total energy by some volume ##\Delta x\Delta y\Delta z##, I can use ##\Delta t\Delta y\Delta z## and I again obtain luminosity over the area of a sphere.

This sort of works, but I think a less hand-waving argument is simply to observe that, just as momentum flux is equal to energy flux, momentum density is equal to energy density for light. You've already shown that momentum density is equal to energy flux, because ##T## is symmetric (##T^{x0}## is the momentum flux across a surface of constant ##t##, i.e., momentum density), so that shows that energy density is also equal to energy flux.

You're right, that is a much better solution! Honestly, that was the part I felt the most iffy about. It follows a nice parallel to the others as well. I should try to look a little harder for symmetries like that.

Thanks! :)

Related to Heuristic Evaluation of Stress-Energy Tensor

1. What is a Stress-Energy Tensor?

A Stress-Energy Tensor is a mathematical object used in the theory of general relativity to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in space-time. It encapsulates the physical properties of matter and energy, including their density, pressure, and velocity.

2. How is the Stress-Energy Tensor evaluated?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is evaluated using a technique called Heuristic Evaluation. This involves examining the tensor components and determining the physical properties they represent, such as energy density or momentum flux. The values of these components are then calculated using various mathematical equations and physical principles.

3. What is the purpose of Heuristic Evaluation in the context of Stress-Energy Tensor?

The purpose of Heuristic Evaluation is to gain a deeper understanding of the physical properties described by the Stress-Energy Tensor. By examining the tensor components and their values, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of matter and energy in space-time, and make predictions about the dynamics of the universe.

4. How is Heuristic Evaluation different from other techniques used to evaluate the Stress-Energy Tensor?

Unlike other techniques, Heuristic Evaluation does not rely on exact mathematical solutions or experimental data. Instead, it uses a combination of physical principles, mathematical approximations, and logical reasoning to evaluate the Stress-Energy Tensor. This makes it a more flexible and intuitive approach, allowing scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the tensor's physical properties.

5. What are the limitations of Heuristic Evaluation in terms of evaluating the Stress-Energy Tensor?

While Heuristic Evaluation can provide valuable insights into the properties of the Stress-Energy Tensor, it is not a definitive method. It relies on approximations and assumptions, which may not accurately reflect the complex nature of space-time. Additionally, the results of Heuristic Evaluation may vary depending on the specific principles and equations used, making it important to carefully consider the chosen approach.