Hermitian conjugate of spinor product (Srednicki ch 35)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equality of different notations for spinors and their hermitian conjugate. The fields are operators and therefore the order is reversed when taking the hermitian conjugate. This is in contrast to the components of the Pauli matrix, which are just numbers.
LAHLH
Hi,

I totally understand why [tex] \chi\psi=\chi^{a}\psi_{a}=-\psi_{a}\chi^{a}=\psi^{a}\chi_{a}=\psi\chi[/tex]. Where the first equality is just convention, the second is anticommutation of the fields, the third is due to [tex] \chi^{a}\psi_{a}=-\chi_{a}\psi^{a} [/tex] because of the [tex] \epsilon^{ab} [/tex].

But now if we look at the herm conj, as in Srednicki 35.26:

[tex] (\chi\psi)^{\dag}=(\chi^{a}\psi_{a})^{\dag} [/tex]

Now this product is just a number, as the indices are completely summed over, so it should be totally legitimate for me to take [tex]\dag[/tex] to be just a regular c.c. *. (c.f. Avodyne's discussion at the end of my spinor indices thread a while back :https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=438291 in particular post #28)

[tex] (\chi\psi)^{\dag}=(\chi^{a}\psi_{a})^{\dag}=(\chi^{a}\psi_{a})^{*} [/tex]

Now this is just equal to [tex] (\chi^{a})^{*}(\psi_{a})^{*} [/tex], the dagger or star (which are the same thing on these components) converts these into right handed spinors, so now we have:

[tex] (\chi^{\dag\dot{a}})(\psi^{\dag}_{\dot{a}}) [/tex]

Now using anticommutation of these objects, and then using the suppressing convention for dotted indices:

[tex]- (\psi^{\dag}_{\dot{a}})(\chi^{\dag\dot{a}}) [/tex]
[tex]=- \psi^{\dag}\chi^{\dag} [/tex]

So I have found that [tex] (\chi\psi)^{\dag}=- \psi^{\dag}\chi^{\dag} [/tex]

Contrary to Srednicki, where [tex] (\chi\psi)^{\dag}=+ \psi^{\dag}\chi^{\dag} [/tex]

Could anyone help me understand what has happened here? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The fields are operators, not numbers, so hermitian conjugation reverses their order.

Oh yes, of course, even the components of the spinors are operators. Unlike the components of the Pauli matrix say which are just numbers.

Thanks once again!

Related to Hermitian conjugate of spinor product (Srednicki ch 35)

1. What is the Hermitian conjugate of a spinor product?

The Hermitian conjugate of a spinor product is the complex conjugate of the spinor product with the rows and columns switched.

2. Why is the Hermitian conjugate important in quantum mechanics?

The Hermitian conjugate is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the expectation value of observables, which are represented by Hermitian operators.

3. How is the Hermitian conjugate related to the adjoint of a matrix?

The Hermitian conjugate is related to the adjoint of a matrix by taking the complex conjugate of the matrix and then transposing it.

4. Can the Hermitian conjugate of a spinor product be written in terms of the transpose and complex conjugate of the spinor?

Yes, the Hermitian conjugate of a spinor product can be written as the transpose of the complex conjugate of the spinor.

5. What is the physical interpretation of the Hermitian conjugate in quantum mechanics?

The physical interpretation of the Hermitian conjugate is that it represents the adjoint of an operator, which is used to calculate the expectation value of observables in quantum mechanics.