Here's the type of textbook I'm looking for. Does it exist?

In summary, a college physics grad is looking to gain a strong understanding of the central concepts of precalculus or calculus through self-study and is seeking recommendations for a text that meets specific criteria. One recommendation is Khan Academy, a website that offers free, intuitive video lessons on various subjects, including precalculus and calculus. The creator of the site, Sal Khan, holds multiple degrees from prestigious universities and has dedicated his life to providing free education to students worldwide.
Lane4
I am a college physics grad. For many subtopics of precalculus or calculus, the following statement applies to me:

"I can easily solve problems that involve X, but I can't really tell you what X is or why it matters."

I'd like to spend some spare time to gain a strong understanding of the central concepts of precalculus or calculus that I only learned superficially.

Can anyone recommend a text to work from, based on the following criteria?

- Covers precalculus or Calculus BC material.
- Focused only on the fundamentals and central concepts. For example, I want to understand integration by substitution, but I don't need or want to review every substitution technique.
- NOT focused on (1) tricks, (2) rote problem solving, or (3) teaching general problem solving techniques
- Ideal for self study

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is a website I am using which many have heard of.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

I'm using it right now to learn Calculus. It's all 1 guy making all of the videos, and in each lesson he tries to explain it in a way so you can have intuition on why you're doing what you're doing.

Sal received his MBA from Harvard Business School. He also holds a Masters in electrical engineering and computer science, a BS in electrical engineering and computer science, and a BS in mathematics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Imo, it's a much better way of learning than traditional textbooks. In terms of calculus I believe he only covers the first 1-2 semester of college calculus in around 150-160 videos.

The various subjects he covers on his site:
rarjaw.png

It's not a textbook, but it is a very good source of learning on your own. All the videos on his site are separated nicely so you can find what you're looking for specifically.
Best thing of all, it's 100% free and he's dedicated his life to his site in hopes of providing better educations for students worldwide. Covering subject from K-12 and a bit into college.

He is helping to change the world with his site and has received quite large donations from people such as Bill Gates.

Good Luck.

Related to Here's the type of textbook I'm looking for. Does it exist?

1. Is there a textbook that covers a specific topic?

Yes, there are many textbooks that cover specific topics in various fields of science. You can search for textbooks on online platforms or visit your local library or bookstore.

2. Are there textbooks that cater to different levels of understanding?

Yes, there are textbooks that cater to different levels of understanding, from introductory to advanced levels. Make sure to read the description or table of contents to determine the level of the textbook before purchasing.

3. Can I find textbooks that are specifically designed for a certain course or curriculum?

Yes, there are textbooks that are specifically designed for certain courses or curricula. These textbooks are often recommended by the course instructor or can be found through online searches.

4. Are there textbooks that come with supplemental materials such as practice problems or online resources?

Yes, many textbooks come with supplemental materials such as practice problems, online resources, and interactive learning tools. These materials can enhance your learning experience and help you better understand the subject matter.

5. Can I find digital versions of textbooks?

Yes, many textbooks are available in digital versions, either through online platforms or as e-books. These versions are often more affordable and convenient for students, as they can be accessed on multiple devices.