Heres a tough one i had on my final im dying to find out how to do it

• Thread starter xxacefirexx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary, the problem involves a mass attached to a rope rotating on a horizontal surface with air friction but no kinetic friction. The magnitude of air friction is related to velocity with the equation .2v. The task is to find the centripetal acceleration after 5 seconds. To solve this, you must first use Newton's 2nd law in the tangential direction to get a first order differential equation, which can then be solved to find the velocity. Don't forget to use the given boundary condition of v(initial)=10 m/s.
xxacefirexx
I don't remember the question verbatim, but here is all the info

Homework Statement

There is a mass attached to a rope which is attached to a pole. It is set to rotate on a horizontal surface (basic circular motion scenario). There is no kinetic friction along the table, but there is air friction.

The magnitude of air friction is related to velocity with the equation .2v.
m=3 kg
r=2 m
v(initial)=10 m/s

What is the centripetal acceleration after 5 s.

Homework Equations

F=ma=m(v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

i know you got to integrate the air friction function over the 5 s interval, but i can't express it in terms of t.

I am completely lost, please help. I know I got it wrong, but i really want to know how to do it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
xxacefirexx said:
I don't remember the question verbatim, but here is all the info

Homework Statement

There is a mass attached to a rope which is attached to a pole. It is set to rotate on a horizontal surface (basic circular motion scenario). There is no kinetic friction along the table, but there is air friction.

The magnitude of air friction is related to velocity with the equation .2v.
m=3 kg
r=2 m
v(initial)=10 m/s

What is the centripetal acceleration after 5 s.

Homework Equations

F=ma=m(v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

i know you got to integrate the air friction function over the 5 s interval, but i can't express it in terms of t.

I am completely lost, please help. I know I got it wrong, but i really want to know how to do it.

Thanks!
F=mv^2/r is the correct centripetal force formula for the tension in the rope, but the problem is asking for the centripetal acceleration only. You need first, however, to use Newton's 2nd law in the tangential direction, where the tangential acceleration is not constant. Thus,
use F=m(dv/dt), where F is the given air resistance force (presumably in force units of Newtons). You get a first order differential equation you must solve of the form -kv = mdv/dt. Solve for v and don't forget the boundary condition. Is this where you are stuck?

I understand your frustration and eagerness to find the solution to this problem. Let's break it down step by step.

First, we need to understand the forces acting on the mass. In this case, we have the tension force from the rope and the air friction force. The tension force is providing the centripetal force necessary for circular motion, while the air friction force is acting in the opposite direction, slowing down the mass.

Next, we can use the formula F=ma to find the net force acting on the mass. In this case, the net force is equal to the tension force minus the air friction force. We can write this as:

m*a = T - 0.2*v

where T is the tension force and v is the velocity.

Now, we need to take into account the fact that the velocity is changing over time. This means we need to integrate the air friction function (0.2v) over the 5 second interval. This will give us the total air friction force acting on the mass during that time period.

Once we have the total air friction force, we can plug it back into our equation and solve for the acceleration. This will give us the centripetal acceleration after 5 seconds.

I hope this helps guide you towards finding the solution to this problem. Remember to always break down the problem into smaller parts and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns. Good luck!

Related to Heres a tough one i had on my final im dying to find out how to do it

1. What is the best approach to solve a tough problem on a final exam?

The best approach to solving a tough problem on a final exam is to read the question carefully and break it down into smaller, manageable parts. Then, use your knowledge and problem-solving skills to tackle each part one at a time.

2. How can I improve my critical thinking skills to better solve difficult problems?

To improve your critical thinking skills, it is important to practice regularly by solving various types of problems. You can also try to think outside the box and consider alternative solutions, as well as seek feedback from others to gain different perspectives.

3. Is it important to show all of my work when solving a tough problem?

Yes, it is important to show all of your work when solving a tough problem on a final exam. This not only helps you keep track of your thought process, but also allows the grader to see how you arrived at your answer and give you partial credit if you made any mistakes.

4. How can I manage my time effectively when faced with a difficult problem on a final exam?

To manage your time effectively when faced with a difficult problem on a final exam, it is important to first read the question carefully and understand what is being asked. Then, prioritize which parts of the problem are the most important and allocate your time accordingly. Don't spend too much time on one part of the problem and remember to leave some time for reviewing your work.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a tough problem and can't seem to find a solution?

If you are stuck on a tough problem, take a deep breath and try not to panic. Take a break and come back to it with a fresh mind. You can also try approaching the problem in a different way or asking for help from a classmate or your professor. Remember to stay calm and focused, as stressing out may hinder your problem-solving abilities.