Finding Polynomial Equation

• Thread starter Caldus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, you can use the equation p(x) = (x - (3 - 2i))(x - (-5 + 7i))(x)^3(x + 3)(x - 4)^2 to find a polynomial with degree 8 and the given roots. You do not need to include the conjugates for complex roots in this case. As for simplification, this is the most simplified form for this polynomial.
Caldus
Sorry to keep asking questions...my teacher is horrible...

Anyway, I need to find a polynomial equation with degree 8 and contains the roots (3 - 2i), (-5 + 7i), 0 (with multiplicity 3), -3, and 4 (with multiplicity 2).

This is what I came up with:

p(x) = (x - (3 - 2i))(x - (-5 + 7i))(x)^3(x + 3)(x - 4)^2

Two things I'm wondering about (besides whether I got it right of course):

1. Don't I need to add in the conjugates for 3 - 2i and -5 + 7i in the equation? In that case, the degree would have to be 10, no?

2. Can I simplify this any further?

Thanks again.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You only need to include the complex conjugates if you are looking for a real polynomial; they're not necessary for complex polynomials.

No need to apologize for asking questions, it's always better to clarify and make sure you understand something than to remain confused. As for your polynomial equation, you are correct in using the conjugate roots for 3 - 2i and -5 + 7i. This will ensure that the coefficients of the polynomial are all real numbers. However, adding the conjugates will not change the degree of the polynomial. The degree will still be 8 since the roots are still the same, it's just that the factors will be slightly different.

To simplify the polynomial further, you can use the FOIL method to expand the factors and combine like terms. This will give you a polynomial in standard form, where the terms are arranged in descending order of degree. However, it is not necessary to simplify the polynomial any further as it is already in its most simplified form.

In the future, if you are unsure about your answer, you can always use a graphing calculator to graph the polynomial and see if the given roots are indeed the x-intercepts. This will help you check your work and ensure that you have the correct polynomial equation. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed. Good luck!

1. What is a polynomial equation?

A polynomial equation is an algebraic equation that contains one or more terms, each of which consists of a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. These equations are used to represent relationships between variables in mathematical models.

2. How do you find the polynomial equation from a set of data points?

To find the polynomial equation from a set of data points, you can use a process called polynomial interpolation. This involves finding a polynomial function that passes through all of the given data points. This can be done using methods such as the Lagrange interpolation formula or the Newton interpolation formula.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial equation?

The degree of a polynomial equation is the highest exponent in the equation. For example, in the equation 3x2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2. The degree of a polynomial equation determines the number of solutions it has and its overall behavior.

4. How do you determine the roots of a polynomial equation?

The roots of a polynomial equation are the values of the variable that make the equation equal to zero. To determine the roots, you can use techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the rational roots theorem. These methods can help you find both real and complex roots of a polynomial equation.

5. Can all data points be fit to a polynomial equation?

No, not all data points can be fit to a polynomial equation. The data points must follow a specific pattern or relationship in order for a polynomial equation to accurately represent them. If the data points do not follow a pattern, a different type of equation or model may be more appropriate.