Help_How to use graph to find focal length?

In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging the lens equation to make 1/v the subject of the equation and using it as a linear equation to evaluate the focal length of convex lenses. The process involves using a graph and the equation 1/v=1/f-1/u to plot data of object distances and image distances. The end goal is to find the focal length f.
linda92

Homework Statement

Rearrange the lens equation to make 1/v the subject of the equation and then write it as a linear equation. This will lead you to a possible graph for data of object distances and image distances from which you will be able to evaluate the focal length f of the convex lenses.

Homework Equations

*lens equation: 1/f=1/u+1/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do. I mean, usually we have equations like y=kx and all we do is to find the slope k. But for the equation 1/v=1/f-1/u ? I really don't get this. Should I make it into v=uf/(u-f)? I think that's the right way but I don't know if i can get f using that equation. Please HELP!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi linda92! Welcome to PF! :wink:

You want a straight line,

so instead of having v along one axis, you have 1/v instead.

And along the other axis, you have … ? :smile:

Hello! Thanks :)

The other side I made it 1/u.
In Graphical Analysis I entered the function "f(x)=1/f-x", with x=1/u, f(x)=1/v..

...And it worked :)

linda92 said:
...And it worked :)

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

Related to Help_How to use graph to find focal length?

1. What is a focal length?

A focal length is the distance between the center of a lens or curved mirror and its focus. It is an important parameter that determines the magnification and field of view of an image formed by the lens or mirror.

2. How do I measure the focal length of a lens using a graph?

To measure the focal length of a lens using a graph, you will need to plot a graph of object distance on the x-axis and image distance on the y-axis. The focal length of the lens can be calculated by finding the point where the graph intersects the x-axis, which represents the point where the image distance is equal to the focal length.

3. Can I use any type of graph to find the focal length?

Yes, you can use any type of graph to find the focal length as long as it has a linear scale. However, it is recommended to use a graph with a large scale and a clear zero point to get more accurate results.

4. How many points do I need on the graph to find the focal length?

You need at least two points on the graph to find the focal length. These points should correspond to different object distances and their corresponding image distances. However, the more points you have on the graph, the more accurate your calculation of focal length will be.

5. Why is it important to know the focal length of a lens?

Knowing the focal length of a lens is important because it helps in understanding the magnification and field of view of the images formed by the lens. It also helps in selecting the right lens for a particular application and in determining the position of the lens in an optical system.