Help with velocity vector and friction questions

In summary, the ball will hit a step when its vertical displacement is bigger than or equal to the horizontal displacement.
wikidrox
I can't quite get an answer for these damn questions. It feels like there is information missing.

1. Show that the minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at speed v is equal to v^2 / 2*coefficient of friction*g, where the coefficient of static friction is between tires and the road and g is acceleration due to gravity.

2. A ball rolls off the top of a stairway with a horizontal velocity of magnitude 1.5m/s. The steps are 20 cm high and 20 cm wide. Which step will the ball hit first?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Use this formula:
vf2 = v02 + 2ax
The distance is x, v0 is v and a is the car's deceleration caused by friction.

2. Let's create an axes system of X and Y, with the origin placed in the ball's inital position (top of stairs). The ball is traveling in a parabola. By analyzing the graph I attached, you can see that as soon as the ball's vertical displacement is bigger than or equal to the horizontal displacement, the ball will hit a step. (This is because the width and height of each step is equal. If this weren't the case, things would have been a bit more complicated.) So let's write the expressions for each displacement:

Δx = vt
Δy = gt2/2

Now solve this for t:

Δx = Δy
vt = gt2/2

One of the solutions is t = 0, because when the ball is first thrown it is on a step! So that's correct. The second solution is t = 2v/g. Now go back to the Δx expression and find how much the ball has managed to travel before hitting the step. For example, if the ball traveled 0.46 meters it means that it hit the 3rd step (if we don't count the step the ball was thrown from).

Attachments

• stairs.gif
    stairs.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Chen said:
1. Use this formula:
vf2 = v02 + 2ax
The distance is x, v0 is v and a is the car's deceleration caused by friction.

QUOTE]

I tried but I do not have any values for those variables. I don't get how I would go about doing this question.

You don't need values, this is a parametric question. Find a (using what you know about the friction force) and then find the expression for x.

i still can't get a. please give me a little more info

I got a=-232.4/v^2. But I don't know where to go from there

Related to Help with velocity vector and friction questions

1. What is a velocity vector?

A velocity vector is a mathematical representation of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is typically represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the speed and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of motion.

2. How is velocity vector different from speed?

Speed only indicates how fast an object is moving, while velocity vector includes both speed and direction. For example, a car traveling at 60 miles per hour due east has a different velocity vector than a car traveling at 60 miles per hour due north.

3. How do you calculate the velocity vector?

The velocity vector can be calculated by dividing the displacement vector (change in position) by the change in time. This gives the average velocity. For instantaneous velocity, the limit of the change in time approaches zero.

4. How does friction affect velocity vector?

Friction is a force that acts opposite to an object's motion. It can slow down an object's speed and change its direction. This means that friction can change the velocity vector of an object by decreasing its speed or altering its direction.

5. How can you reduce friction in order to maintain a constant velocity vector?

In order to maintain a constant velocity vector, friction needs to be minimized. This can be achieved by using lubricants, reducing the weight of the object, or using smoother surfaces. Another way to maintain a constant velocity vector is by balancing the forces acting on the object, such as using a force in the opposite direction of friction to cancel it out.