Help with vector exam questions (M1)

In summary, Cathy explains that helicopters P and Q are moving in the same horizontal plane, but with different velocities. P's velocity is 60 km/h and Q's velocity is 120 km/h. To find the position of Q at any given time, you use Q's velocity and the time since noon.
CathyLou
Hi.

I have no idea how to even begin to do this question and so I would really appreciate any help.

Two helicopters P and Q are moving in the same horizontal plane. They are modeled as particles moving in straight lines with constant speeds. At noon P is at the point with position vector (20i + 35j) km with respect to a fixed origin O. At time t hours after noon the position vector of P is p km. When t = 0.5 the position vector of P is (50i - 25j) km. Find

(a) the velocity of P in the form (ai + bj) km/h,

I got this as (60i - 120j) km/h.

(b) an expression for p in terms of t.

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
How does distance relate to velocity and time?

(This seems better suited for Intro Physics than Calc & Beyond--I'll move it.)

Last edited:
Ok, thanks.

Would I use v = s/t?

Cathy

You should start with the basic equations of kinematics and go on from there.

CathyLou said:
Ok, thanks.

Would I use v = s/t?

Cathy

Yes, but here s = final position - initial position...

or you can just use sfinal = sinitial + vt

CathyLou said:
Would I use v = s/t?
Yes.

You have the initial position vector. You know how each component changes with time, so you can find the position vector at any time t.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sorry, but I still don't see how I can get an expression for p in terms of t.

Cathy

CathyLou said:
Thanks everyone for your help.

Sorry, but I still don't see how I can get an expression for p in terms of t.

Cathy

p is just the final position in the equation (the final position of helicopter P after t amount of time passes):

v = (final position - initial position)/t

solve for final position... then you can plug in initial position and velocity since you know those already...

Okay - thanks so much for your help!

I got p = (60t + 20)i + (35 - 120t)j km.

Cathy

CathyLou said:
Okay - thanks so much for your help!

I got p = (60t + 20)i + (35 - 120t)j km.

Cathy

looks good!

Thank you.

I'm not sure now how to do this next part. Could you please help again?

At noon Q is at O and at time t hours after noon the position vector of Q is q km. The velcoity of Q has magnitude 120 km/h in the direction 4i - 3j. Find

an expression for q in terms of t.

Thanks so much!

Cathy

Try to get the velocity of Q as a vector... Use the magnitude of the velocity which is given... along with a unit vector in the given direction...

So the first step is to get the unit vector in the given direction.

learningphysics said:
Try to get the velocity of Q as a vector... Use the magnitude of the velocity which is given... along with a unit vector in the given direction...

So the first step is to get the unit vector in the given direction.

Would I use Pythagoras?

Cathy

CathyLou said:
Would I use Pythagoras?

Cathy

Yes... have you studied unit vectors in your class? You divide the vector by its magnitude...

I'm really not sure what to do.

Could you please show me the steps?

Thank you.

Cathy

CathyLou said:
I'm really not sure what to do.

Could you please show me the steps?

Thank you.

Cathy

First step is to find the unit vector in the direction of 4i-3j... so first find the magnitude of this... it is [tex]\sqrt{4^2 + (-3)^2} = 5[/tex]

So then the unit vector in the direction of 4i - 3j is [tex]\frac{1}{5}(4i-3j) = \frac{4}{5}i - \frac{3}{5}j[/tex]

Multiply this vector by 120km/h... and that's your velocity vector. So the velocity of Q is:

[tex]120(\frac{4}{5}i - \frac{3}{5}j) = (96i -72j) km/h[/tex]

Now you can use this velocity to find q... using the fact that the initial position = 0i + 0j... so now it is just like the previous problem...

In general when you need a vector of a particular magnitude in a particular direction... you multiply the magnitude by a unit vector in that particular direction...

Hope this helps...

Thank you so much for your help!

Cathy

Related to Help with vector exam questions (M1)

1. What are vectors and how are they used in exams?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are often used in exams to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. They are also useful for solving problems involving motion, forces, and geometry.

2. How can I prepare for vector exam questions?

To prepare for vector exam questions, it is important to have a strong understanding of vector concepts and properties. Practice solving various types of vector problems and familiarize yourself with vector notation and operations. It is also helpful to review past exam questions and work through them to identify any areas you may need to focus on.

3. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving vector exam questions?

One common mistake when solving vector exam questions is confusing magnitude and direction. It is important to pay attention to the units and notation used in the question to ensure you are using the correct values. Another mistake is not drawing accurate vector diagrams, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to be aware of vector operations and their properties to avoid making calculation errors.

4. Can I use a calculator for vector exam questions?

In most cases, calculators are allowed for vector exam questions. However, it is important to check with your teacher or exam guidelines to confirm. It is also important to note that calculators may not be allowed for certain sections or types of questions, so it is best to be prepared to solve vector problems without a calculator as well.

5. How can I check my answers for vector exam questions?

To check your answers for vector exam questions, it is helpful to use a reference or answer key to compare your solutions. You can also rework the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same result. It is important to double-check your calculations and ensure you have answered all parts of the question accurately.