Help with understanding how to figure out the amount of heat to boil away water.

In summary, the problem involves finding the amount of heat needed to boil away 2300 grams of water starting at 17 degrees Celsius. The specific heat of water is 1 calorie per gram per degree Celsius and the heat of vaporization is 540 calories per gram. Using the formulas Q = cmΔT and Qv = mLv, the total heat can be calculated by adding the heat required to raise the temperature to 100 degrees Celsius and the heat required for vaporization.
Mtray524
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/know

2300 grams of water is heated. If this water starts at a temperature of 17 degrees Celsius, what amount of heat is needed to boil away all of this water? Note that the specific heat of water is 1 calorie per gram per degree Celsius, the Heat of vaporization of water is 540 calories per gram, and water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that this would be the best formule for me to use Q = c m ΔT, and Qv = m Lv .

Since water boils at 100 degrees celsius, I assumed that I should subtract 100-17 to get 83 degrees as the differnce in temperature.

Can I please get assistance with understanding this probelm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, you are on the right track. Use your two formulas. The total heat is the sum of the two.

Related to Help with understanding how to figure out the amount of heat to boil away water.

What is the boiling point of water?

The boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level.

How much heat is needed to boil away water?

The amount of heat needed to boil away water depends on the initial temperature of the water, the amount of water, and the altitude. Generally, it takes 540 calories of heat to boil 1 gram of water.

What factors affect the amount of heat needed to boil away water?

The altitude, atmospheric pressure, and initial temperature of the water can all affect the amount of heat needed to boil away water. Higher altitudes and lower atmospheric pressure will require less heat to boil water, while lower altitudes and higher atmospheric pressure will require more heat.

How can I calculate the amount of heat needed to boil away water?

To calculate the amount of heat needed to boil away water, you can use the formula Q = m * C * ΔT, where Q is the heat needed, m is the mass of water, C is the specific heat capacity of water (1 calorie/gram * degree Celsius), and ΔT is the change in temperature from the initial temperature to the boiling point (100 degrees Celsius).

What are some practical applications of understanding how to figure out the amount of heat needed to boil away water?

Understanding how to calculate the amount of heat needed to boil away water is important in many scientific and everyday applications. It is useful in cooking, chemistry experiments, and designing heating systems. It also helps in understanding the principles of thermodynamics and energy transfer.