Help with thevenin - dependent sources

In summary, the conversation is about how to find the equivalent Thevenin or Norton generator in a circuit with dependent voltage sources. The solution involves using Kirchoff's laws to find the currents and considering the voltage gain/loss across the dependent source. The Thevenin resistance is found by calculating the current that would flow between the two nodes if a wire were placed there, and the Thevenin voltage is calculated as the voltage across the dependent source. The controlled voltage source affects the current in the branch like any normal voltage battery and is included in the KVL equations. To find the Thevenin resistance, the independent sources are not switched off, instead a wire is connected between the two nodes and the current flow is calculated.
endrezr

Homework Statement

It is not so important for my question

Homework Equations

So first of all, sorry to just barge in and post this question, but I am not sure how to solve it. I have attached images of the circuits. The task is to find the equivalent thevenin or norton generator. My problem is that I do not know how to do this when there are dependent voltage sources in the circuit. On the other hand I do know how to solve with dependent current sources.

What to do with them, do I calculate its voltage and ad it to the resistors voltage or it determines the total voltage between its two nodes?

http://img69.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img4308r.jpg

Thank You in advance for helping me with this

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First consider the closed loop with nothing between A and B. Find the currents using Kirchhoffs law. To find the thevenin voltage, do as you normally would, taking the dependent source into consideration, ie count the voltage gain/loss across it.

To find the thevenin resistance, consider the current that would flow between A and B if a wire were placed there (again, kirchoff). The thevenin resistance is then simply V/I, where V is the calculated thevenin voltage.

Last edited:
So basically it is the same when writing KVL equations?

ie first picture KVL

When going from the upper node of resistor R1 towards the upper node of resistor R3 it is
-Rmi1+(-)ixR2?

Only this part I do not understand. with the rest I'm ok.

Yes correct.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Then how does the controlled voltage source affect the current in that branch?

It affects the current like any normal voltage battery would by supplying a constant voltage. Just include it in your KVL when you solve for the currents. Did I answer your question?

Yes, once again thank You.

novop said:
To find the thevenin resistance, consider the current that would flow between A and B if a wire were placed there (again, kirchoff). The thevenin resistance is then simply V/I, where V is the calculated thevenin voltage.

One more question regarding this. When calculating thevenin resistance I switch off the independent sources. In this case short circuit, the voltage source. That would mean i1=0. It makes the dependent source an open loop then because Rm times 0 is 0. Correct?

Don't switch off any sources just connect A and B with a wire and look for the current flow. No current flows through R3 because it is in parellel with a wire. So you have two loops to solve.

Related to Help with thevenin - dependent sources

1. What is a dependent source in Thevenin's theorem?

A dependent source in Thevenin's theorem is an element or device that is controlled by another element or device in the circuit. It can either be a voltage source or a current source, and its output is directly proportional to the voltage or current of the controlling source.

2. How do you calculate the Thevenin equivalent voltage when a dependent source is present?

To calculate the Thevenin equivalent voltage, first determine the open-circuit voltage across the terminals. Then, set the dependent source to zero and calculate the voltage across the terminals again. The Thevenin equivalent voltage is the difference between these two voltages.

3. Can a dependent source be included in the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

Yes, a dependent source can be included in the Thevenin equivalent circuit. However, it is important to remember that the controlling source must also be included in the circuit for the dependent source to be accurately represented.

4. How do dependent sources affect the Thevenin resistance?

Thevenin resistance is not affected by dependent sources. The value of the Thevenin resistance remains the same regardless of the presence of dependent sources in the circuit.

5. Can Thevenin's theorem be applied to circuits with multiple dependent sources?

Yes, Thevenin's theorem can be applied to circuits with multiple dependent sources. The process for finding the Thevenin equivalent voltage and resistance remains the same, but each dependent source must be considered and accounted for in the calculations.