Help With Tennis Ball Launcher?

In summary, the conversation is about making a tennis ball launcher for a physics project. The speakers are considering using either a bungee cord or spring inside of PVC pipe for the launching mechanism and a camera tripod or wooden stand for support. They are also discussing how to adjust the angle and trigger the device from a distance. One suggestion is to use a second pipe inside the first one to push the ball, with the spring or bungee cord outside the pipes. The speakers also discuss the possibility of using a long string and pull pin as a trigger and clarify the meaning of "remote control."
Penguin10
My partner and I are making a tennis ball launcher for a physics project. We are going to use either a bungee cord or spring inside of pvc pipe. Do you have any ideas for how to set up the device on the inside? Also, we were going to use a camera tripod as a stand, but are skeptical on if it will tip over or not. We might make one out of wood, but the angle would not be easily adjustable as if we were to use the tripod. How could we adjust the angle and set up the launching device inside? Also, the device needs to be triggered from a distance. No combustion or pneumatic devices are allowed either

Physics news on Phys.org
One possibility is to use a second pipe that fits inside the first to push the ball. Then you could use springs or bungees outside the pipes to pull the small pipe inside the large one.

Would a long string attached to a pull pin be considered remote control?

Delphi51 said:
One possibility is to use a second pipe that fits inside the first to push the ball. Then you could use springs or bungees outside the pipes to pull the small pipe inside the large one.

Would a long string attached to a pull pin be considered remote control?
I'm not sure what you mean by a second pipe inside of the first one. We also would prefer the spring or bungee cord to be inside the device. I think remote control would be a battery operated device, like the ones you see with remote control cars. We will probably use a long string and pull pin since it is one of the easiest to make and effective triggers

Related to Help With Tennis Ball Launcher?

1) What materials do I need to build a tennis ball launcher?

To build a basic tennis ball launcher, you will need a PVC pipe, some rubber bands, a wooden base, a trigger mechanism, and a tennis ball. You may also need additional tools such as a saw, drill, and hot glue gun.

2) How do I adjust the distance and angle of the tennis ball launcher?

The distance and angle of the tennis ball launcher can be adjusted by changing the position of the trigger mechanism and the angle of the PVC pipe. You can also experiment with different tension levels of the rubber bands.

3) What safety precautions should I take when using a tennis ball launcher?

It is important to wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, when using a tennis ball launcher. Make sure to also keep a safe distance from the launcher and never aim it at anyone's face or body.

4) Can I use different types of balls with a tennis ball launcher?

Yes, you can experiment with different types of balls such as foam balls or rubber balls. However, keep in mind that the launcher may need to be adjusted accordingly to accommodate the size and weight of the different balls.

5) Are there any other uses for a tennis ball launcher?

Aside from playing fetch with your dog, a tennis ball launcher can also be used for training purposes in tennis or as a fun toy for children. Additionally, you can modify the launcher to shoot other objects like water balloons or small toys.