Help with Tank problem- NOT TYPICAL

• Thread starter pickpocket293
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 65 gallon tank with 20 pounds of sand and 35 gallons of water. The solution is pumped and circulated at 5 gallons per minute, then filtered and put back into the tank. The goal is to find out how many minutes it would take to filter the mixture until there is only 0.2 pounds of sand left, without any overflow or volume change. The rate of sand removal is calculated as 5x/35, and the time needed to reach 0.2 pounds of sand is found to be approximately 11.5 minutes.
pickpocket293
Help with Tank problem-- NOT TYPICAL

It's been a few years since my last experience with differential equations so this is giving me some issues... Any and all help is appreciated.

Problem:

A 65 gallon tank has 20 pounds (or ~1 gallon) of sand in it with 35 gallons of water (completely mixed). We pump/circulate the solution at 5 gallons/minute and filter it, then put it back in the tank. Clean water goes in at the same rate that sandy water is pulled out, so there is no overflow or volume change.

How many minutes must we filter the mixture before we have a tank that only contains 0.2 pounds (0.01 lbs, or 99% clean) of sand?

Physics news on Phys.org

Subscribed.

What is the rate that sand would be removed as a function of the amount of sand in the tank?

By the way, the problem you described isn't realistic; there would be a volume change because the sand would take up volume.

MisterX said:
What is the rate that sand would be removed as a function of the amount of sand in the tank?

By the way, the problem you described isn't realistic; there would be a volume change because the sand would take up volume.

The pump circulates on the tank through the filter, and the filter catches all the sand. The concentration of the water at that time is pulled out, and clean (filtered) water is put back in.

What I mean by "no volume change" is that in the entire system, there is no change. Sure, there is water in the hoses/pump, etc. but the tank isn't going to overflow or drain completely.

...this is currently happening where I work right now, BTW. I can post pictures if you'd like. :D

pickpocket293 said:
It's been a few years since my last experience with differential equations so this is giving me some issues... Any and all help is appreciated.

Problem:

A 65 gallon tank has 20 pounds (or ~1 gallon) of sand in it with 35 gallons of water (completely mixed). We pump/circulate the solution at 5 gallons/minute and filter it, then put it back in the tank. Clean water goes in at the same rate that sandy water is pulled out, so there is no overflow or volume change.

How many minutes must we filter the mixture before we have a tank that only contains 0.2 pounds (0.01 lbs, or 99% clean) of sand?

dx/dt = IN - OUT

In: 0 (Because it's clean water)

Out = (xlbs of sand/35 gallons of water)(5gallons/min)

dx/dt = 0 - 5x/35

x(0) = 20 (at 0 minutes, there is exactly 20 pounds of sand in the tank)

you need to find when x(t) = .2 this will tell you at what time t the tank has .2 pounds in it

shelovesmath said:
dx/dt = IN - OUT

In: 0 (Because it's clean water)

Out = (xlbs of sand/35 gallons of water)(5gallons/min)

dx/dt = 0 - 5x/35

x(0) = 20 (at 0 minutes, there is exactly 20 pounds of sand in the tank)

you need to find when x(t) = .2 this will tell you at what time t the tank has .2 pounds in it

Bear with me here, it's been a while since I've done this...

Integrate both sides with respect to X then plug in 0.2 for X and the resulting number is my time in minutes?

You need to separate dx and dt.

shelovesmath said:
You need to separate dx and dt.

Ohhh, that's right!

So I'd have 7*dx/x = dt then integrate each side w.r.t. the variable, then plug in 0.2 for values of x. Correct?

dx/dt = 0 - 5x/35

dx/dt = -x/7
7/x dx/dt = -1
7/x dx = -dt

yep, sounds good

approximately 11.5 minutes. Thanks a LOT folks!

Related to Help with Tank problem- NOT TYPICAL

1. How do I determine the size of my tank?

The size of a tank can be determined by measuring the length, width, and height of the tank. Multiply these three measurements together to calculate the volume of the tank in cubic units. You can then convert this volume to the desired unit of measurement, such as gallons or liters.

2. What is the best way to clean a tank?

The best way to clean a tank depends on the type of tank and what it is used for. In general, tanks can be cleaned using a mixture of warm water and mild soap. For tougher stains or residue, you may need to use specialized cleaning products designed for specific types of tanks.

3. How often should I change the water in my tank?

The frequency of water changes depends on the size of the tank, the number of fish or other organisms living in the tank, and the type of filtration system being used. In general, small tanks with a high number of fish will require more frequent water changes, while larger tanks with fewer fish may only need to be changed every few weeks.

4. Can I use tap water in my tank?

In most cases, tap water can be used in a tank as long as it has been treated with a water conditioner to remove chlorine and other harmful chemicals. However, it is important to test your tap water for pH, hardness, and other parameters to ensure it is suitable for the specific type of organisms living in your tank.

5. How do I maintain the temperature in my tank?

The temperature in a tank can be maintained using a heater or chiller, depending on the needs of the organisms living in the tank. It is important to regularly monitor the temperature and adjust the heater or chiller as needed. It is also helpful to insulate the tank and place it away from sources of direct sunlight or drafts to help maintain a stable temperature.