Help with summing the moments in statics

In summary, the conversation discusses summing moments on points A and B. The equations and attempts at solutions are shown, but the individual is confused as to why the results for A and B are not the same. It is explained that the sum of the horizontal forces must be equal to zero, regardless of the point chosen to sum moments. Another equation is mentioned for summing vertical forces, which also equals zero.
thekrustyone

Homework Statement

I need to sum the moments on a and b but when i sum them at b the number I get doesn't work when I check and sum them at a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
(-200x4)+(-60x2.5)+(-60x2.5)+(rbhx10)=rbh=110

(200x6)+(-60x2.5)+(-60x2.5)+(rahx10)=-90

Sum horz=0=110+200+rah if moments summed at A
Rah=-310

Sum horz=0=-90+200+rbh if moments summed at B
Rbh=-110

Why are they not the same I don't understand

thekrustyone said:
(-200x4)+(-60x2.5)+(-60x2.5)+(rbhx10)=rbh=110
Should be rah

thekrustyone said:
Sum horz=0=110+200+rah if moments summed at A
The sum of the horizontal forces must be the sum of ALL horizontal forces. There are 3 forces with horizontal components. This sum equals zero and has nothing to do with the point about which you choose to sum moments.

Another forces equation can be obtained by setting the sum of ALL vertical forces = 0

Related to Help with summing the moments in statics

1. What is the purpose of summing moments in statics?

The purpose of summing moments in statics is to calculate the overall torque or rotational force acting on a system. This is important in determining the stability and equilibrium of an object or structure.

2. How do you calculate the moment of a force?

The moment of a force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. This can also be expressed as the force times the lever arm.

3. What is the difference between a clockwise and counterclockwise moment?

A clockwise moment is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while a counterclockwise moment causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. These moments are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

4. Can moments be summed in any direction?

Yes, moments can be summed in any direction as long as the moments are taken about the same point. This is because moments are a vector quantity and can be added or subtracted in any direction.

5. How do you determine the equilibrium of a system using summing moments?

To determine the equilibrium of a system using summing moments, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This indicates that there is no net torque acting on the system and it is in rotational equilibrium.