Help with solving three equations with 3 unknowns

• Thread starter mechie-diva
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, the conversation discusses three equations involving variables R1, R2, α, and m. The equations involve various mathematical operations and constants such as pi and sin/cos functions. The speaker mentions using Maple to solve the equations, but their values turned out to be 0. They also ask for suggestions on other software, such as Excel or Matlab. Finally, they suggest multiplying equations (1) and (2) and using Wolfram Alpha for solutions.
mechie-diva
I have the three following equations in the file attached:

1. 70000000=(((R1^3)*4/3)-((R2^3)*4/3 "))(100*cosα))/(2(R1 -R2)(pi/2)(R1^4-R2^4) + 100sinα/ ((pi/4)(R1^4-R2^4))

2. 120000000=((100*sinα))/(R1^2-R2^2)+ (100*cosα*R1 )/((pi/4)(R1^4-R2^4))

3. m=100(pi)(R1^2-R2^2 )(cosα)* R1

I know it looks like we have four unknowns with three equations, but I am going to assume the value of R1. Going forward, I will have the following unknowns:
α, R2, m

I tried solving this using Maple, but unfortunately all my values were 0. I am pretty sure I wrote it right. Otherwise, is there any other software I can use to solve this? Excel/Matlab?

If so, which functions should I use? Are there any constraints that I will have to define?

Thank you in advance!

PS - I attached a picture of the formulas!

Attachments

• calculation1.JPG
    calculation1.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 524
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Solve (1) & (2) independently as you have 2 equations with 2 unknowns then substitute into (3)

As you know R1 & as long as R1 does NOT = R2 then I'd try multiplying (1) & (2) through by (pi/4)(R1^4-R2^4)

Last edited:
If you wrote it like here, you made mistake. For what you use double quotes?

I would recommend using a mathematical software such as Maple or Mathematica to solve these equations. These software have built-in functions for solving systems of equations, and can handle more complex equations than Excel or Matlab. Additionally, they have the ability to provide numerical solutions and can handle constraints if needed.

In order to solve these equations, you will need to define the values of R1 and m. Once you have defined these values, you can use the built-in functions of Maple or Mathematica to solve for the remaining unknowns α and R2. The constraints, if any, will depend on the specific problem that you are trying to solve and should be carefully considered before defining them in the software.

It is also important to double-check your equations and make sure they are written correctly before attempting to solve them. If you are still having trouble getting accurate solutions, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or seek assistance from a mathematics expert. Good luck with your equations!

Related to Help with solving three equations with 3 unknowns

What is the general process for solving three equations with 3 unknowns?

The general process for solving three equations with 3 unknowns is to first simplify the equations as much as possible by combining like terms and moving terms to one side of the equation. Then, use a method such as substitution or elimination to solve for one variable at a time. Finally, plug in the values for the solved variables into one of the original equations to find the remaining unknown variable.

What are the most common methods used to solve three equations with 3 unknowns?

The most common methods used to solve three equations with 3 unknowns are substitution and elimination. Substitution involves solving one equation for one variable and substituting that value into the other equations to solve for the remaining variables. Elimination involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable at a time until all three variables are solved.

What should I do if I end up with a contradictory or inconsistent solution?

If you end up with a contradictory or inconsistent solution, it means that there is no set of values that can satisfy all three equations at the same time. This could be due to a mistake in the equations or an error in the solving process. Double check your work and equations to ensure accuracy.

Can I use a calculator to solve three equations with 3 unknowns?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve three equations with 3 unknowns. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving these types of equations by hand before relying on a calculator. Additionally, some calculators may have limitations or require specific input methods for solving these types of equations.

Are there any tips for making the process of solving three equations with 3 unknowns easier?

Some tips for making the process of solving three equations with 3 unknowns easier include: clearly labeling each equation and variable, simplifying the equations as much as possible before solving, checking your work as you go, and using a consistent method (such as substitution or elimination) throughout the solving process.