Help with solving equations for x

In summary, #1 and #2 have opposite signs when x=-3 and x+3 respectively. #3 can be solved for using the trig identity sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x. #4 is the inverse of the logarithm function.
isaiah45798

Homework Statement

Can someone please help or guide me with these problems.
Thanks in advance.
less than or equal to = </=

1 (x+3)(x-3)>0

2 x^2-2x-15</= 0

3 sin2x=sinx, 0</=x</=2pi

4 logx+log(x-3)=1

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so for number 1 I do not know where to start.
For number two I factor it and I'm in the same spot as number 1.
As far as number 3 is concerned I do not know where to start.
Number 4 I know that I have to condense the logarithms into one but I'm not sure what to do afterwards.

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1, multiply the lefthand side out.

For #2, complete the square.

Note for #1 and #2, you could also look at the sign of each factor. If ab>0, then you must have a>0 and b>0 OR a<0 and b<0. What do you need for ab<0?

For #3, use the trig identity sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x.

For #4, what's the inverse of the logarithm function?

#1 try ways curve method ...

thank you both for the help

Did you figure them out?

On number 1 can you just not set both factors equal to greater than 0 and solve for x?

Ah completing the square! so much fun.

zaldar said:
On number 1 can you just not set both factors equal to greater than 0 and solve for x?
No.

For some values of x, (x-3) and (x+3) have opposite sign. For these values, is (x-3)(x+3) positive, or is it negative?

For other values of x, (x-3) and (x+3) have like signs. For these values, is (x-3)(x+3) positive, or is it negative?

zaldar said:

For these type of questions you can only ignore those terms to find range which are always >0 no matter what is x

hmm so on 1 after multiplying it out you then complete the square to solve for x since that will give you an actual number on the right side?

Interesting wrinkle since as long as it is a number this is how you solve these type of problems factor and then set equal to the number or 0 and solve for x.

Though wait it has to be greater than 0 so does that not mean that both x's have to be positive? So x can be greater than 3 (from x -3) or greater than -3 from x +3

if x is -2 then x+3 would be 1, x-3 would then be ug -5 ok so that doesn't work..interesting.

completing square will give you ... x2 - 9 = 0 or x2 = 9

now just take square root

but don't forget [itex]\sqrt{x^2} \ = \ |x| [/itex] and not just x

Related to Help with solving equations for x

What are some common strategies for solving equations for x?

Some common strategies for solving equations for x include using the distributive property, combining like terms, isolating the variable, and using inverse operations.

How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by plugging in the value of x into the original equation and seeing if the equation is true.

What should I do if I encounter fractions or decimals in the equation?

If you encounter fractions or decimals in the equation, you can multiply both sides of the equation by the least common multiple (LCM) of all the denominators to eliminate them.

What is the order of operations for solving equations for x?

The order of operations for solving equations for x is the same as the order of operations in arithmetic: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

Can I solve an equation for x without using algebra?

It is possible to solve equations for x without using algebra, but it may be more challenging and time-consuming. You may use trial and error or graphing methods, but algebraic methods are generally faster and more accurate.