Help with shear stress and angle of twist

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the maximum shear stress and angle of twist per meter of a solid shaft with a 100mm diameter that is transmitting 75kW at 150 rev/min. The material properties, specifically G=80GN/m^2, are also mentioned. The person asking the question is unsure about how to calculate the angle of twist without knowing the length, and calculates the shear stress as 2.4mNm^2. They request assistance and clarification on the problem.
ball
A solid shaft 100mm diameter which transmits 75kw at 150 rev/min.

the question is asking me to find the max shear stress and angle of twist per metre of the shaft length.

G=80GN/m^2

I was under the impression to find the angle of twist you needed the length in the first place. None of the examples in class had length missing.
I worked the shear stress out as 2.4mNm^2

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
ball said:
A solid shaft 100mm diameter which transmits 75kw at 150 rev/min.

the question is asking me to find the max shear stress and angle of twist per metre of the shaft length.

G=80GN/m^2

I was under the impression to find the angle of twist you needed the length in the first place. None of the examples in class had length missing.
I worked the shear stress out as 2.4mNm^2

Thanks for any help

"the question is asking me to find the max shear stress and angle of twist per meter of the shaft length."

I'm unfamiliar with units of 'mNm^2' for stress.

Anywho, if you want any help on this question, you need to provide some of your work.

Related to Help with shear stress and angle of twist

1. What is shear stress and how does it affect materials?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when an object is subjected to forces that cause it to slide against another object. It is a measure of the force per unit area that a material experiences when it is being sheared or pulled apart. Shear stress can cause materials to deform or break, depending on their strength and elasticity.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied to an object by the cross-sectional area of the object that is being sheared. This results in a unit of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What factors affect the amount of shear stress a material can withstand?

The amount of shear stress that a material can withstand depends on several factors, including its strength, stiffness, and elasticity. Materials with higher strength and stiffness can withstand higher shear stress before breaking, while materials with higher elasticity can deform more before failing under shear stress.

4. How does the angle of twist affect shear stress?

The angle of twist, also known as the angle of rotation, is the amount of rotation that occurs in a material when it is subjected to shear stress. The greater the angle of twist, the more shear stress the material is experiencing. Therefore, a higher angle of twist can lead to a higher level of shear stress on the material.

5. How can shear stress and angle of twist be controlled or minimized?

Shear stress and angle of twist can be controlled or minimized by using materials with higher strength, stiffness, and elasticity, as well as by designing structures and objects with appropriate support and reinforcement. Additionally, using lubricants or reducing the speed of movement can also help reduce shear stress and angle of twist on materials.